Clarkson: Another Paper hating Top Gear [caution: germanz!]

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Babboe Deathtrap
German "Zeit"-Newspaper has jumped onto the train of hating Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson. They've even put some little cover of "IAA" over the top...

http://www.zeit.de/2009/41/Nachlese-IAA

(that's for everybody capable of the stupid language of german -.-)

I have to say, I DIDN'T read it, because I couldn't be bothered! :mad:
Everybody who has, or everybody who just wants to express their feeling about this, here you go!

OK now I HAVE read it... and it's APPALING!
They deal with "facts" that aren't true and try to make TG look as bad as possible with that (well, who'd have thought that!)
I wish to quote! (I do translate...)

Die Zeit said:
Hier werden nur Autos getestet, die mindestens 300 PS haben und mehr als 60.000 Euro kosten ? klimafeindliche Spritschlucker also. (They only test cars with at least 300BHP and more expensive than 60.000Euro - climate killing gas guzzlers!)

I could go on and on, but I wish to leave some fun to you as well :p

Last edited:
You're a native speaker and I'm not.... but isn't this reporter actually liking the show? :?

"Bei Top Gear wird das Auto zum Vehikel f?r brillante Fernsehunterhaltung."

He's saying Top Gear uses cars as a way to brilliant tv-entertainment.

God, those translation tools suck big time. :blink:

You're a native speaker and I'm not.... but isn't this reporter actually liking the show? :?
It certainly seems that way.

And he poses the question why Top Gear is shown everywhere but in Germany - stupid man: Because most Germans don't understand enough English and a dubbed version would inevitably be very appaling.

Like LindenChase and DanRom, i think Mr. Jungclaussen likes Top Gear. Very much. And, to be honest, i think his description of my favourite show is quite on the spot. I don't think there's any hatred in it.

The only thing he got wrong is the reason why it's not shown in germany, but apart from that the article is spot on.

Eizbaer, if you want to bash Die Zeit, read anything Susanne Gaschke has written on the Pirate Party. That's hate-mongering. It brought me close to cancelling my subscription.

Its just one guy's opinion. Though what's funny is he knows a lot about Top Gear (small important facts), but he is a lefty. He's the type of guy which if he had the money would walk into Aston Dealership and bail out at the last minute and get a Prius because he can't bare the shame.

He could of taken a poke at Top Gear, but not by just listing everything he doesn't like about Top Gear. Learn how to write a proper article...

In my opinion the guy actually loves the show. The remark about climate-killing cars was just to illustrate the point that the show is so popular because it mocks environmentalism. He just loves how Top Gear mocks political correctness.

The article is full of irony and satire so it's somewhat difficult to find the true meaning. But the subtle hints in the text point to a positive article.

Last edited:
Its just one guy's opinion. Though what's funny is he knows a lot about Top Gear (small important facts), but he is a lefty. He's the type of guy which if he had the money would walk into Aston Dealership and bail out at the last minute and get a Prius because he can't bare the shame.

He could of taken a poke at Top Gear, but not by just listing everything he doesn't like about Top Gear. Learn how to write a proper article...

Have you even read the article? Or any of the posts above (and beyond) yours explaining that he is not listing everything he doesn't like on Top Gear but is, in fact, praising the show?

And, before you compain, i did not negrep you for disagreeing, but for not being able to read a single post in this thread, let alone the article it's about.

Last edited:

I've tried to make it more readable.

Gas Pedal

Against all reason, a quirky BBC show is a worldwide hit

Now that the Frankfurt IAA, the biggest car show in the world, is over, what have we learnt? That, in the future, cars must be reasonable! All the car company chiefs have talked about zero-emission "electric mobility", and visitors marvelled at the green cars of the future.

And yet, somehow equally present was the new generation of supercars. Like the new Bentley Mulsanne, a dream in walnut wood and leather, with more than 600bhp. Or the new Merc flagship - the SLS - with its retro look, possibly the coolest car of all time. For driving a car is not just about the head. Still, when most people buckle up, they're as likely to think about climate change as they are about their tax returns. They'd much rather release their inner speed demon. As an 80s song said, "I'll give it some gas". And that's also the motto of Top Gear - a BBC car show, attracting 350 million viewers around the world.

On Top Gear, cars aren't about fuel consumption or boot space. For Top Gear, cars exist to be turned into brilliant TV viewing. Cars exist to be tested, assuming they have at least 300bhp and cost more than ?60,000. The ringmasters are three middle-aged bullies - JC, JM and RH. Playing up to their stereotypes, and happily prejudiced, the trio are the antidote to politically correct TV. In the world of Top Gear, Americans are too thick and too styleless to build decent cars.

I admit it, the Germans build great cars, but we lost both two world wars and the 1966 World Cup in order to do so. It is, for the eyes of the world, the noise of an efficient German engine that the millions of viewers enjoy. With Clarkson and Hammond in an Audi R8 and a Porsche Beetle respectively, racing against each other on their private track, TV viewers are having more fun than they could with any dry F1 coverage.

Sunday evenings are perfect, with Clarkson, behaving with typical childish exuberance, trying to out-run Challenger battle tanks on hilly terrain in a Range Rover Sport. Of course, he loses. Or when, in a Nissan GT-R, he tries to outrun the Japanese bullet train.

The question is, why can everyone around the world see Top Gear, except Germans? The truth is that the German public would probably break out in a cold sweat when Clarkson appears on German TV, talking about Messerschmitts and Spitfires, and swaggering as only Churchill could. The German carmakers, however, love the English humour on display.

For them, Top Gear is priceless as a free advertising platform. "Clarkson is the ultimate judge", says Jon Zammett of Audi UK. "After Clarkson raced the RS4 up a mountain against two climbers, it became the best-selling car in its class, selling more than the BMW M3 and M5 put together."

It's no wonder, then, that the waiting list for the new ?80k R8 is so long. Clarkson likes German cars, but believes they are "too clinical". He prefers Lamborghini or Ferrari, saying that the Italians build their cars from the heart.

The aesthetics of his favourite cars are what win him over, despite the self-admitted total impracticalness of them. He called the rather quick Alfa Romeo 8C "divine perfection".

Clarkson the car enthusiast may have repeatedly said that "the British are too stupid to even build their own cars" - something only an Englishman could say. But, despite that, they manage to have fun.

Like LindenChase and DanRom, i think Mr. Jungclaussen likes Top Gear. Very much. And, to be honest, i think his description of my favourite show is quite on the spot. I don't think there's any hatred in it.

The only thing he got wrong is the reason why it's not shown in germany, but apart from that the article is spot on.

Eizbaer, if you want to bash Die Zeit, read anything Susanne Gaschke has written on the Pirate Party. That's hate-mongering. It brought me close to cancelling my subscription.

Sorry, but I didn't get the impression he liked it :blink:
Whatever, if you think so... maybe I just got that wrong, but then again, everybody's different, right? :lol:

And I have read their stuff on the pirate party (Zeit's in every thursday here) and I wasn't all too amused by that either. Maybe I just see people being bad all the time :|

What i love is the fine job the online editors did in selecting a photo to go with the article (according to my girlfriend, the print edition has no photo). Not only is it Clarkson looking very much like Clarkson in a ridiculously fast luxuary convertible, no, on top of it, he is smoking!

(btw: From what, if any, episode is this picture?)

So much for Clarkson having quit smoking :p

I wouldn?t even say they condemn the show, it?s terribly written with many mistakes ... but I actually think it?s meant positive towards TG and Clarkson. That TG goes against the trend in the current world around cars and does well. And that German TV would be too scared to do something like that ... (wich I?d sign too)

I?d say, it?s actually praising the show ...

edit: and I?m not the only one who sees it like that :)

Last edited:

And he poses the question why Top Gear is shown everywhere but in Germany - stupid man: Because most Germans don't understand enough English and a dubbed version would inevitably be very appaling.

What about subtitles? Although, the only problem I can think of with that is, you cant really put the trios delivery into words :/

Oh my god, you just blew my mind!

Top Gear in HD, and now with German dubbings :lol:

What about subtitles? Although, the only problem I can think of with that is, you cant really put the trios delivery into words :/

Translated subs would still most likely lose the essence of the jokes.
Besides, the general public is so pampered with dubbed versions of everything, any show with English audio would flop massively. Every movie on TV is dubbed, every bought-in show is dubbed, video games are dubbed.. sometimes I'm surprised music isn't being dubbed as well.
Seriously, acceptance for a show without German audio would be non existant. Not even with subs.

Yesss...

Yesss...

And now from a close next-door neighbor of the Germans themselves.

Think of the situation that you would be upfronted on massive painful insinuations on your folk, only two generations past before you. On telly. No reply. No interaction. No debate.

Then. Would you be able to view it as "entertainment"?

If yes: then you would view TopGear. And yes, you would be a bigger man then me.