Are the Modern "M" Power Cars too soft????

Nowadays the M series are quite easy to drive; my dad's friend, who's close to 60, can drive an M3 without any problems, and he doesn't really know how to drive other than shifting into drive (it's an 4 door M3 back from a few years ago) and stepping on the gas pedal!! You could say M series are a bit soft now, but on the other hand BMW have to make something that's suitable for people who can afford pricey automobiles. Not many young people out there (20-30 year olds) can afford an M3/M5!!

matt_shaw said:
bobo_1314 said:
Nowadays the M series are quite easy to drive; my dad's friend, who's close to 60

It takes someone alot older then that to lose driving skill. Heck! Tiff Needell is 55!

But considering he got his licence when he was in his 30's, and he doesn't drive often (as far as I know he takes the bus/subway to work), he is not a very experienced driver :lol:

The new M5 and M6 really aren't my cup of tea, so personally I wouldn't like it if BMW took all their M cars in that direction. I think the E46 M3 is a good balance between performance and comfort, and you definitely can't say they're lacking in feel, I mean my regular 325i feels excellent already.

But looking at the Z4 M Roadster and Coupe we can assume that BMW will keep all that electronic wizardry to the bigger cars, and I expect the E90 M3 to be as edgy as the current one at least.

lol. Well, since i'm already rollin' in an M3 and considering upgrading to another M model next year....I'm gonna have to disagree wit the premise of this thread.

Perhaps the cars are more refined

I totally agree with you. They aren't softer, just less rude then the old m3's. The same goes for the 911, the old versions were much more tricky to drive, but everyone also loves the new one.

Tomo Motorsport said:
Top Gear Girl said:
The new M cars are more powerful and faster than the older ones, so not really too soft. But, they are more complicated, with fancy things and lots of buttons.

But, we'll have no dissing M cars around here, thank you. :p

She's baaaaack.

Anyhow, I think that the rawness of the older M-Models has somewhat disappearred. I would like to see less creature comforts and weight, but more performance.
I agree with you.

E.g. the E30 M3 and the M3 Sport Evo had just basically escaped from a nearby racetrack.
I understand that many people are not prepared to pay extra for a car that many consider loud, noisy and harsh. But there at least could be some kind of sport packade for the M3 with stiffer suspension and striped out interior. Just so you don't have to pay A LOT extra as was the case with CSL.

But back to the point. Yeah they have gone a bit soft. Just take the seats in the E46 M3. They weigh as much as 10 elfants. I don't think that anything liek that belongs in an M car.

TopGearGirl said that they're not soft since they have a lot of bhp. But a big engine is not everything. The new M5 is left behind on any track by the M3 CSL which has almost 150 less horsepower.

So get the focus back on motorsport with the M cars. Doesn't need bigger engines. But a sharper chassi, bigger brakes and perhaps the most important: Less weight! For people looking for an everyday car with some punch the BMW has plenty to offer anyway.

Like Firecat said, more refined. Obviously, an E46 would kill any of its predecessors around the track, and does so with panache, sophistication AND comfort. You can't rag on it for weight; its very difficult to get a car's weight down these days with modern safety regulations, while pandering to the market the car is aimed at. I've driven a couple E46's and an E30 M3, and I'd much prefer the E46 as the daily driver, weekend car, and track car, and I'd have more fun with it.