Auto rig question

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
I have an auto rig setup using a 2" x 2" x 10' square aluminum pipe (exact measurement of widths is actually 2-1/32" or 51mm) and high-power retrieval magnets that attach to the pipe using eyebolts and hose clamps. I was trying to save money, but I now realize that I should have gone the standard suction-cups-and-clamps route begin with. What I have sorta works, but it's pretty bush :|

So, I'm looking at the Manfrotto Super Clamps, but I don't know if the aluminum pipe I have will fit. Would someone who has some of these clamps be so kind as to measure the maximum accepted size of a square pipe?

Last edited:
Here :

gHj3F.jpg

You can open the clamp to more than 2 inches, but im nut sure if you could grip it firmly . . . I think i have some square pipe at home, let me see and check for sure . . .

Looks like the ruler is set at 49mm and the clamp goes a good several mm beyond it, but it's hard to tell from that angle. Let me know how the square pipe fits, thanks :)

Here you go, found some bigger pipe, 60mm and it fits . . .

JviYo.jpg

zwYU.jpg

And i can grip it quite firmly, so i would guess that its gonna work on your pipe then . . .

And I'm in the final stage of making my own rig setup, and was planning on doing a write up on it soon. I would be curious on your setup, care to take some pics and stuff?

And i can grip it quite firmly, so i would guess that its gonna work on your pipe then . . .
Awesome, thanks! :)

I do notice, though, that it doesn't look exactly flush with the clamp. Does the clamp not adjust this way?

I would be curious on your setup, care to take some pics and stuff?

Sure :)

Overview:

2" x 2" x 10' square pipe:

Retrieval Magnet with eye bold, nuts, washers and a hose clamp

Attached to Rig
The hose clamp tightens and it's surprisingly strong.

GorillaPod wrapped around pipe

Pipe: $48
Mounting Hardware: $84
Old Shirts Wrapped Around Magnets: just the shirt off my back ;)
Hose Clamps: nothing, I found them in the garage
GorillaPod: I don't count this as part of the cost because I already owned one long before I built this rig

So, honestly, I haven't saved a whole lot of money compared to the suction cup setup ... live and learn :|

I haven't gotten the opportunity to use it a whole lot yet, but here are a few shots I've been able to get:

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! :)

I do notice, though, that it doesn't look exactly flush with the clamp. Does the clamp not adjust this way?

The problem is in the size of the pipe, 60+mm is a bit over the top to fit it just right, but it can be used for it. I think that 50mm is going to fit just right, but even if its not 100%, i believe its still gonna hold it more than enough.

I never used magnets, although i thought about it. I'm just scared to damage the car with it, metal dust can easily get there and scratch the paint. I guess they would work for an under-car rig, but thats has its problems as well.

Thanks for sharing, looks like a good starting rig, and it gives great results. Now you need to go wider :). I'm on my fourth version now, and i went all out on this one, trying to make it as versatile as possible.

I never used magnets, although i thought about it. I'm just scared to damage the car with it, metal dust can easily get there and scratch the paint.
Hence, the old t-shirt.

Now you need to go wider
I think you mean further, I already have a Tokina 11-16. I've been thinking about cutting this pipe in half and getting another five foot section, but how would I go about attaching them end-to-end while maintaining rigidity?

Hence, the old t-shirt.
Still, magnets work through t-shirts . . .
I think you mean further, I already have a Tokina 11-16. I've been thinking about cutting this pipe in half and getting another five foot section, but how would I go about attaching them end-to-end while maintaining rigidity?
Yeah, further.
Don't cut it, the more sections you have, the less stable it gets. Get the same size pipe as an extension, and get a small piece, like 20-30cm pipe that has inner measurements 2" x 2". Then your two 2"x2" pipes should fit snugly in small piece. Then just drill a hole on each end and that should do it. A have my 3x2m pipes sorted like this, works well.

Still, magnets work through t-shirts . . .
Oh, that's how you meant. Yeah, I always make sure there are no little metallic stones or shards that are stuck on before I mount them on a car.

Don't cut it, the more sections you have, the less stable it gets.
I know, but I need to be able to transport it.