Best movie of 2009?

Star Trek.

Shit, forgot about the hangover.

definately the best comedy of the year thats for sure

Also, Up was a masterpiece. Pixar hasnt made anything other awesome yet.

After 15 minutes I switched "Up" off....too fucking depressing. Star Trek was amazing, District 9 was good. I have Terminator Salvation in my netflix queue.

Personally, I thought "17 Again" was awesome (yeah, that's right...a Zac Efron movie).

It's a hard choice for me. I love The Hangover for making me laugh, Star Trek and District 9 for being great examples of Sci Fi in an age when most Sci Fi movies suck and the Blind Side for making me all warm and fuzzy inside after watching it.

Fantastic Mr. Fox, easily.

Overall, I'd say 2009 was a great year for movies, especially when faced with recent memory. Agree Y/N?

After 15 minutes I switched "Up" off....too fucking depressing. Star Trek was amazing, District 9 was good. I have Terminator Salvation in my netflix queue.

It got better...<_<

For now, District 9 is the best I've watched this year. But I'm going to watch Ninja Assassin, I think that movie has the potential to top District 9.

District 9. I wasn't expecting much, but I was blown away by its epicness.

I have yet to see Basterds and Avatar, but I doubt I'll like them that much.

Top 3 of 2009:

1. Gran Torino (2009 release in Finland)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHRiP6TRtnE&feature=PlayList&p=BEA3B7AE1250E6B0&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=42[/YOUTUBE]

Tough choice between this and The Wrestler. Both have easily two of the finest leading roles of the year, both have two of the best soundtracks of the year, both have what are among the best endings for a movie I have ever seen and both are just supremely fantastic in their raw and honest yet compelling stories. But for me Gran Torino just edges ahead, mainly because the overall movie feels just a tiny bit more "complete": while The Wrestler has the better story and Mickey Rourke's performance tops Eastwood's, Gran Torino has just that bit more in supporting cast and how the story flows along. But it is really, really close and I almost didn't want to make this choice.

2. The Wrestler (2009 release in Finland)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-GFxjTyV0[/YOUTUBE]

What's there to say that hasn't been said about The Wrestler already ? The best leading performance of the year, maybe of the decade ? And yet Rourke got shafted at the Oscars because the Academy wanted to be PC (and they don't like Rourke) and awarded a gayrights movie instead. Bruce Springsteen's soundtrack won the Golden Globe, which it deserved, best piece of music I have heard in a long while. Also this movie has some of the finest monologues ever seen on the silver screen. Especially the one where Randy/Rourke talks about how he is "just a broken down piece of meat who deserves to be alone...." Fucking. Marvelous. Many have criticised this movie as being just Rourke's one man show and that you really don't know if Rourke is acting, or portraying himself. Who the fuck cares; this is one of the greatest movies of all time, Marissa Tomei proves she is anything but a forgotten talent on her way down and the only reason I chose it second of the year, just behind Gran Torino is because the story of Gran Torino is timeless and as a finished product just that little bit more refined. But as far as acting goes, The Wrestler taje s the grand prize by a country mile.

3. The Hangover

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-e6UB9xynM[/YOUTUBE]

It's raw, it's dirty, it's filthy, it's disgusting, it's immature.....and it's absolutely fucking fantastic. Bachelor party in Las Vegas....what could possibly go wrong ? As it turns out, everything. Best comedy of the year, decade and one of the best comedies of all time. And the best part is, that it is not only eyewateringly funny - it is also a damn well made movie. The acting is spot on, the movie developes nicely and the end is built up well rather than rushed through like most comedies do. And Mike Tyson singing I can feel it alone is worth a top 3 finish.

I haven't seen Up yet, so can't comment on that.

Last edited:
Haven't seen Avatar yet, but all indications point to disappointment I'm afraid.

It's between the Hurt Locker and Star Trek... but as much as I like Locker I'm going to have to say Trek because it just seemed more complete somehow.

Inglourious Basterds by far. Very well made as always by Tarantino with many great ideas in the script. But was surprising also. From first long scene it was something different then is seemed after trailer. And apart of fact story is completely stupid it is more "grown up" movie from Tarantino.

About other movies mentioned here.

Public Enemies - I like it, for me for sure one of better movies this year. (and like soundtrack too)

District 9 - Great idea but script wasn't logic for me at some places. Because there were so many positive opinions about this movie I think it was a little disappointment, but good movie nevertheless.

Antichrist - The worst movie by von Trier? Probably. All this violence in the movie was to shock people and didn't have any point.

I never saw District 9, but I did hear it was amazing.

Of the movies I saw, Star Trek was easily the best.

I did enjoy Fast and Furious. Deep, no, fun, yes. I'm not saying it was among the best, just one of the ones I enjoyed a lot

District 9, closely followed by The Hangover and Inglorious Basterds. :)

First Up!,Second Gran Torino, Third District Nine, Fourth Star Trek

3. The Hangover

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-e6UB9xynM[/YOUTUBE]

It's raw, it's dirty, it's filthy, it's disgusting, it's immature.....and it's absolutely fucking fantastic. Bachelor party in Las Vegas....what could possibly go wrong ? As it turns out, everything. Best comedy of the year, decade and one of the best comedies of all time. And the best part is, that it is not only eyewateringly funny - it is also a damn well made movie. The acting is spot on, the movie developes nicely and the end is built up well rather than rushed through like most comedies do. And Mike Tyson singing I can feel it alone is worth a top 3 finish.

I haven't seen Up yet, so can't comment on that.

Agreed with above. THe reason i nominated Hangover as a top movie of the year isn't simply because its really funny, dirty and goes for shocks, too many comedies do that. But its an incredibly well written and cleverly directed movie with a genuinely engaging 'whodunit' mystery story that unfolds really well. As a film, it stands out on its own aside from the laughs.

and the digital camera photo montage at the end made it perfect.

I thought Watchmen was absolutely brilliant.
I didn't see in in the theater, nor had I ever read the comic book, but I watched the Watchmen Ultimate Cut blu-ray and thought the story was fantastic.

I also liked "Up" and Star Trek.

Love the beast.