Carbon fiber reinforced parts could become more than 70 percent cheaper

The biggest expense for me is the mold cost. I am thinking the savings related to this article are all production techniques. I started using 3D printing for the part original for molding and that is less expensive then traditional CNC, but, has it's own list of issues. For small parts you can print the mold right now and get rid of that entire expensive step although printing thick enough to use as even the base of a mold isn't necessarily cheap. As the 3D printers gain in accuracy, I know that will happen for bigger parts, ... can't wait!!!

The expensive part is the production of the carbon fibers. It requires quite an effort to transform the oil into a useable product. To give you an idea, BMW produces their fibers here in WA to save on the electricity cost alone.

Really?, I would not have guessed that based upon the cost of the CF vs finish out of the mold product.

The biggest expense for me is the mold cost.

I'm not sure why mold cost would be the biggest issue for mass-produced items. The dice used to stamp out steel pieces aren't cheap either, but that's currently the cheapest way to make body panels.

I'm not sure why mold cost would be the biggest issue for mass-produced items. The dice used to stamp out steel pieces aren't cheap either, but that's currently the cheapest way to make body panels.

It has to do with scope. I am making Ariel Atom fenders, side pods, tonneaus, etc. Not a big market

These are CF even if the lighting does not make that visible

Last edited:
The biggest expense for me is the mold cost. I am thinking the savings related to this article are all production techniques. I started using 3D printing for the part original for molding and that is less expensive then traditional CNC, but, has it's own list of issues. For small parts you can print the mold right now and get rid of that entire expensive step although printing thick enough to use as even the base of a mold isn't necessarily cheap. As the 3D printers gain in accuracy, I know that will happen for bigger parts, ... can't wait!!!

alot of the vintage car guys are starting to use 3d printers to make things like trim pieces you just can't find any more

Sorry, no website, still just screwing around and having fun with this stuff. I don't have PM's here and they are still holding some of my posts for review from Saturday, so, I would think I will have da power soon. Kind of depends on when a mod gets to approving me...