Clarkson: "The united states of total paranoia"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wherever you go you'll find the state putting idiots in charge of stupid regulations that no one cares about. The US or UK just have different idiots and different stupid regulations.

Blind_Io said:
I'll try to find the numbers, but the UK has a huge crime problem with roberies, home invasions and so forth. I hate to sound too American here but the best way to secure your home is with a 12 gague shotgun and the best thing to protect yourself is a Smith & Wesson .38 Special +P "snub nose" revolver.

You will really need to show some figures ont that...

But even if its true, the US has the highest murder rate in western world, UK is far behind. Would you rather have your house robbed or be killed?

Giving everyone and their dogs a right to bear arms is idiotic. I am sure there are A LOT of responsible people (like yourself) who use and store tehm properly, but in return there is at least the same amount of peole who dont. Saying that you are safe because everyone has a gun is just stupid. The european nations felt safe before WW1 because they had made alliances so that everyone had so big an army that no one would dare to attack... well that worked out well didn't it.

But I do not want to make this a debate about gun control. There is no argument I can make to turn you around and there is no argument you can ake taht will make me change my mind so lets just let it be. I don't live anywhere near the US so I do not really care whether you all have guns or not, its not like you can bring them here and use them against me :p

niteriyder said:
Blind_Io said:
He has some excellent points and I agree with most of them. This country has taken a terrible turn in the last 8 years. We have sacrificed so many freedoms and gained nothing by it. I would seriously consider taking a job in the UK if one was a available. Our economy can't compare to the UK and I am becomming ever more weary at my own government.

We have domestic spying, unlawful wiretaps, the monitoring of bank accounts without a warrant - Clarkson is right, the US is becomming a police state. I fear what will happen in the next election.

I know you all live on small islands over there but do you think there is enough room for one more?

:lol: Then leave...
That's a lazy answer to a serious problem. Instead of helping to change things for the better, leave. Ok, everybody pack your bags, sell your car, give away your dog, mortgage your house, tell all your best friends that you've known from childhood that you'll probably never see them again, wish your relatives the best of luck, and rush through the airport with everything you've ever owned on a flight to Ol' Blighty! While America still remains the same, with wiretapping and everything else. Nothing's changed if you don't do anything.

"If you don't like it, then leave"...as intelligent humans, can't we try better than that? :thumbsdown:

mmap said:
Blind_Io said:
I'll try to find the numbers, but the UK has a huge crime problem with roberies, home invasions and so forth. I hate to sound too American here but the best way to secure your home is with a 12 gague shotgun and the best thing to protect yourself is a Smith & Wesson .38 Special +P "snub nose" revolver.

You will really need to show some figures ont that...

But even if its true, the US has the highest murder rate in western world, UK is far behind. Would you rather have your house robbed or be killed?

Giving everyone and their dogs a right to bear arms is idiotic. I am sure there are A LOT of responsible people (like yourself) who use and store tehm properly, but in return there is at least the same amount of peole who dont. Saying that you are safe because everyone has a gun is just stupid. The european nations felt safe before WW1 because they had made alliances so that everyone had so big an army that no one would dare to attack... well that worked out well didn't it.

But I do not want to make this a debate about gun control. There is no argument I can make to turn you around and there is no argument you can ake taht will make me change my mind so lets just let it be. I don't live anywhere near the US so I do not really care whether you all have guns or not, its not like you can bring them here and use them against me :p

Tomorrow I will try to find some numbers for you. Greanted, there are alot of irresponsible people with firearms. There are also alot of irresponsible people with cars and also with children. I'm not saying that the world is safer when everyone is armed - I'm saying that criminals who choose victims may think twice when there is the possibility that a potential victim is armed and prepared to defend him/herself if necessary.

As for WWI, it was the treaties that caused the problem. When Austria-Hungary invaded the balkans over the assasination of the prince Russia came to the aid of thier slavic brothers, that pulled Germany, France, and England into the fray and in 3 days all of Europe had declared war. If it were not for Kaiser Wilhelm II firing Bismark and allowing half the treaties to fall apart then the system Bismark created would have worked. The problem was that it was not maintained and some treaties fell apart, splitting Europe into two distinct sides.

At least that's what I can recall from my World Wars class as an undergraduate. Correct me if I'm wrong.

One last thing - I have no desire to use a gun on anyone, but I will if there is no other option. I am never in favor of aggression and I am proud to say that there has only been one fight I could not talk my way out of. Violence is an absolute last resort.

Loved it! :)

Part with the number was great. :D

Blind_Io said:
I live in the Bay Area, and I can tell you Northern California is ANYTHING but normal.

I think its just you...

Honestly, what do you expect, living in Richmond, the most unsafe city in California? I have relatives who live 1/2 mile from Richmond in El Cerrito and they couldn't have a more typical existence.

If the only reason Cali is crazy to you is gun and smog laws, then you need to get some priorities straight.

zenkidori said:
I love speed cameras. They can't think, only take pictures of your plate which is EASILY disguised. Like I said in another thread, there are companies that make hinges for your front plates that tilt it sideways above 50MPH so you can't be nabbed, and the rear is just as easy to conceal. Plus speed cameras can't pull you over and give you a ticket for loud exhaust, being too low, or whatever.
By far the best way is smear Vaseline on the lens of the camera. Almost impossible to see without getting close and will blur all photos beyond use.

war losing
we've only "lost" the vietnam war. i could list a few that the limey's cohorts have lost, including a rather significant one they would've lost without our assistance.

all that jibber jabber about california and it's laws, and not one of you has said anything in regards to the sb420? i'm disappointed!

mmap said:
funny:
Total crimes (per capita) by country

#1 Dominica 113.822 per 1,000 people
#2 New Zealand 105.881 per 1,000 people
#3 Finland 101.526 per 1,000 people
#4 Denmark 92.8277 per 1,000 people
#5 Chile 88.226 per 1,000 people
#6 United Kingdom 85.5517 per 1,000 people
#7 Montserrat 80.3982 per 1,000 people
#8 United States 80.0645 per 1,000 people
#9 Netherlands 79.5779 per 1,000 people
#10 South Africa 77.1862 per 1,000 people
#11 Germany 75.9996 per 1,000 people
#12 Canada 75.4921 per 1,000 people
#13 Norway 71.8639 per 1,000 people
#14 France 62.1843 per 1,000 people
#15 Seychelles 52.9265 per 1,000 people
#16 Hungary 44.9763 per 1,000 people
#17 Estonia 43.3601 per 1,000 people
#18 Czech Republic 38.2257 per 1,000 people
#19 Italy 37.9633 per 1,000 people
#20 Switzerland 36.1864 per 1,000 people

Murders (per capita) by country

#1 Colombia 0.617847 per 1,000 people
#2 South Africa 0.496008 per 1,000 people
#3 Jamaica 0.324196 per 1,000 people
#4 Venezuela 0.316138 per 1,000 people
#5 Russia 0.201534 per 1,000 people
#6 Mexico 0.130213 per 1,000 people
#7 Estonia 0.107277 per 1,000 people
#8 Latvia 0.10393 per 1,000 people
#9 Lithuania 0.102863 per 1,000 people
#10 Belarus 0.0983495 per 1,000 people
#11 Ukraine 0.094006 per 1,000 people
#12 Papua New Guinea 0.0838593 per 1,000 people
#13 Kyrgyzstan 0.0802565 per 1,000 people
#14 Thailand 0.0800798 per 1,000 people
#15 Moldova 0.0781145 per 1,000 people
#16 Zimbabwe 0.0749938 per 1,000 people
#17 Seychelles 0.0739025 per 1,000 people
#18 Zambia 0.070769 per 1,000 people
#19 Costa Rica 0.061006 per 1,000 people
#20 Poland 0.0562789 per 1,000 people

peter3hg2 said:
By far the best way is smear Vaseline on the lens of the camera. Almost impossible to see without getting close and will blur all photos beyond use.
except then you need to smear vaseline on every camera wherever you go, and if you go somewhere unexpected you're fucked. but other than that...

Apart from Poland, South Africa, Thailand and Mexico (maybe) I dont consider any of these countries real places of freedom. Plus the other EU members of course.
What is the murder rate in US then? What is it in the UK, France, Germany or Italy?

superchevy said:
war losing
we've only "lost" the vietnam war. i could list a few that the limey's cohorts have lost, including a rather significant one they would've lost without our assistance.

all that jibber jabber about california and it's laws, and not one of you has said anything in regards to the sb420? i'm disappointed!
Really, it would be quite hard for a heavy weight boxing and kickboxing champion NOT TO kick the ass of Richard Hammond. :p

well, the falkland island wars was, in a sense, the uk's vietnam. and as colonies, and with the help of france (bleh!), the mighty british empire was defeated. so, head to head, we beat the professional heavy weight champion as a light weight amateur.

superchevy said:
well, the falkland island wars was, in a sense, the uk's vietnam. and as colonies, and with the help of france (bleh!), the mighty british empire was defeated. so, head to head, we beat the professional heavy weight champion as a light weight amateur.
We beat the Argentinians in the Falklands you fool and the Falklands War was only just over two months long, not 18 years like Vietnam. You lost over 1 million in Vietnam, we lost 255. Vietnam and the Falklands are completely different. Can you please explain what your basis for this comparison is?

And our British Emire is still strong in the form of the Commonwealth.
Covers about 3x the service area of America with far more people.
world-comonwealth-countries-map.gif

hajj said:
Apart from Poland, South Africa, Thailand and Mexico (maybe) I dont consider any of these countries real places of freedom. Plus the other EU members of course.
What is the murder rate in US then? What is it in the UK, France, Germany or Italy?
Murder per 1000
USA 0.042802
France 0.0173272
Australia 0.0150324
Canada 0.0149063
UK 0.0140633
Italy 0.0128393
Spain 0.0122456
Germany 0.0116461

As you can see America is a very dangerous place to live. You are three times as likely to be murdered in the US than you are in the UK
(Source: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita)

Vietnam is jungle. The Falklands were not too easy to conquest, but quite easier than Vietnam, that's for sure.

And, one must not forget, in the Falklands there were not the terror-factor the US used in Vietnam.

But Vietnam is an example of how things work out if you send a large army into enemy terretories, without good enough training. Don't forget that the US sent soldiers trained for traditional war to a war dominated by guerilla warfare.

But in the last decades, there has been no American war where the US did not end up with an overwelming strategic victory. Well, no big wars anyway.

America is Tyson, Mohammed Ali, Bruce Lee and Rambo, all in one.

WOW :shock:

I will be keeping my arse out of the baltic countires after seeing that murder stat... But as so likely pointed out the murder stat in the US is much higher than other western nations (none really included in the original post).

And it would appear tha Finland isn't such a haven either... gotta wonder where those numbers are from and what's included in them. I just have a hard ime believing them. Got a source?

jetsetter said:
JoeBlo1 said:
Hilarious article! Jeremy is generally against overzealous lawmakers who impose unnecessary restrictions on the daily lives of people whether it's in Britain or America. His basic definition of freedom is "being able to do what you want", which is why he pokes fun at America - "the land of the free" - for having so many ridiculous rules. He's right in saying that Americans are becoming too paranoid with their homeland security (insecurity). Paranoia just leads to fear, depression, and a negative outlook on life.

When several thousand people die things like that happen.

i think that is Clarkson's point, even though bad things happened in the states, he still got through airport security with a phony street address, he didnt need ID to get a 50 caliber machine gun, and the government is more worried about him filming "8 inches" over the line and carrying a dead cow on his roof than true protection.

for all the miserable attempts at improving security, all it seems to have done is create even more bureaucracy and no more safety.

and a large portion of americans ARE obese, and ignorant when it comes to not only the rest of the world, but their own country as well. and math. and science.

Status
Not open for further replies.