Computer troubles

bry789123

My friends computer has got this urgent computer problem:
His Dell latitude d620 is now broken. When he turns it on the power light comes on solidly and the scroll lock and caps lock blink. The num lock stays on solid. Nothing comes on the screen and the bios doesn't boot.
It wasn't dropped on messed with in any way. I can't figure it out:blink:. Without sending it in (can't for the long weekend) can you fix it? Any suggestions?

does the machine beep at you in short and long beeps?

could be either ram or motherboard.

probably motherboard- my old desktop crashed in a similar way randomly (no warning), but it made popping noises too (like something was very very hot). Scared me off computers for 2 years (seriously!)
Oh, and it needed replacing. So you may want to take it to a repair shop to get them to check it out. Although you probably already knew that. sorry!

I has a similar no-boot situation. It seems the probable culprit could also be the powersupply.
My old system:
Kingston 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 NON-ECC CL5
HyperCell2 6211L-CA ATX with 400W PSU
Asus M2N-E AM2 NF570 Ultra ATX .
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ EE 65W
Club3D HD3870 Overclocked Edition

After replacing almost everything...

Kingston HyperX 2GB 1066MHZ DDR2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Black Edition
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500 GB
Asus M3A-H/HDMI AMD 780G AM2+ ATX

It still had the same issue :cry:...which is when I decided to replace the PSU....

Antec Sonata III 500 - ATX-case, with 500W PSU

So...it could be a whole range of issues. I ended up spending around 360e for that new setup...almost 100e more than I was budgeting for.

Last edited:
My friends computer has got this urgent computer problem:
His Dell latitude d620 is now broken. When he turns it on the power light comes on solidly and the scroll lock and caps lock blink. The num lock stays on solid. Nothing comes on the screen and the bios doesn't boot.
It wasn't dropped on messed with in any way. I can't figure it out:blink:. Without sending it in (can't for the long weekend) can you fix it? Any suggestions?

so your friends pc is a laptop?

if so then it might be issue with motherboard.
My earlier 4 year old Acer Ferrari 3200 did the same thing and even turned the fan on for max speed.
I opened it up to see 1 heatsink was off its place. it would have cost me 400 eur to replace the motherboard when the warranty was ended.