Dispatches: Britian's Bad Housing: American questions

Momentum57

worships the 2010 Prius like a god
DONOR
Car(s)
It's A HONDA! Clarity Plug In Electric
I just watched this program, I have several questions and was hoping that some of our UK citizens could help me. The program was on the poor quality and actions of private companies in building houses. The crux of the program seemed to be that the government should build houses. The program interviewed several people in apartments and condos with issues the company that built them.

1. What is council housing? What is market housing?

2. When they say "homes" and "houses" are they referring to buying the land and building the house and owning it?

3. Can you say buy 2 acres and build your own house?

4. Who owns the land? I keep hearing words like Public and Council does that mean one would be renting from the Government?

5. These new housing projects are they just apartments and condos or do they do more?

It was a real disconnect could you explain your system

1. What is council housing? What is market housing?
Council housing are houses owned by local councils (a tier of government) that are leased out at low rates to people who can't afford their own house.

I'm presuming market housing are houses up for sale on the open market.

2. When they say "homes" and "houses" are they referring to buying the land and building the house and owning it?
You go to an estate agent, say i'd like to buy a house, take out a mortgage and go and buy one. They come pre-built on a plot of land from a builder or the previous owner.

If you want to, however it's somewhat of a big job.

4. Who owns the land? I keep hearing words like Public and Council does that mean one would be renting from the Government?
Council house is owned by the council, most people own their own homes and the land they're built on. Very different than for example germany where most people rent.

5. These new housing projects are they just apartments and condos or do they do more?
Depends

Not quite:

No never - anywhere nice you will NOT get planning permission. If a plot of land is zoned for agricultural use and you buy the acre for say 400 GBP then you get planning permission that land, in the right location is worth 100,000 GBP. You can see the invitation for criminality - Poulson/T. Dan Smith (see wiki) and http://www.rts.org.uk/magazine_det.asp?id=4758&sec_id=826.

Any how you will never get planning permission any where 'nice' - which is why the country is 100,000 houses short and the cost of a house is stupid. Actually ask any council for planning permission and the answer will be no until you push then hard - NIMBY is my friend.

Last edited:
Ok so there are similarities with the exception of Council Housing. We do have "projects" by Housing and Urban Development or HUD but as a qualifier I believe you have to be below the poverty line and I think most take the money and try to find private accommodations.

I do still question the planning permission think I am guessing its like our ZONING. When you say that you couldn't say buy an acre of a farm and build a house because it would be an invitation for criminality; whats that about? I have read the article and did a wiki search but I hardly see why corruption once precludes future development. Why couldn't I buy say the entire farm and build a business park, suburb and make millions?

NIMBY in our country is to stop high industrial plants from being put too close to suburbs not prevent more suburbs. Is there a sense that there is too many houses in the country?

oh and do you have McMansions?

Ok so there are similarities with the exception of Council Housing. We do have "projects" by Housing and Urban Development or HUD but as a qualifier I believe you have to be below the poverty line and I think most take the money and try to find private accommodations.
Something like that, it depends on the actual 'project'.

I do still question the planning permission think I am guessing its like our ZONING. When you say that you couldn't say buy an acre of a farm and build a house because it would be an invitation for criminality; whats that about?
We have green field land, which is land that has never been built on or is in a natural state. IIRC it's since 'time immemorial', so 3rd September 1189.

Green belt field is guarded quite heavily. To legally build on it you've have to apply for a change of usage and then get planning permission to build whatever particular property you wanted on that land. Any permanent structure has to be given planning permission from the local council.

Interestingly you're more likely to get permission to build on green field sites if your building is either in keeping with its surroundings or just beautiful.

We also have brown field (i.e. something's been demolished) land which is easier to get planning permission for.

I have read the article and did a wiki search but I hardly see why corruption once precludes future development. Why couldn't I buy say the entire farm and build a business park, suburb and make millions?
The UK has finite land, green fields is not given away lightly. Your huge new development would also crush local resources with increased road traffic plus more demand on schools/hospitals/etc. These things have to be planned out, normally with the developer footing part of the bill.

NIMBY in our country is to stop high industrial plants from being put too close to suburbs not prevent more suburbs. Is there a sense that there is too many houses in the country?
There aren't really enough houses to be honest, but we have a distinct lack of spare wasteland that can be built on. Plus many people move somewhere because its rural only to find the place developed.

oh and do you have McMansions?
No, we have housing estates.

That pricy? Our lot cost 30k euro and the house another 60 to build (but not furnish).

That pricy? Our lot cost 30k euro and the house another 60 to build (but not furnish).

that cheap? here in AU it's not uncommon for the land to be worth more than the house.

Also sometimes a Council House could also be a private house where the tennant purchased the house at a reduced rate from the local council (local council = local government at town/district level).

It's not just new builds you need planning permission for - you also need it for every permanent structure or change to permanent structure you might want to make - so to build an extension to your house you'd need it, to build a conservatory with concrete foundations I think you'd need it and to put up a second satellite dish I think you also need it (not sure why though).

:eek: That gets you a half decent flat in Prague. Our house was twice as much 11 years ago. And it definitely isn't too big or luxurious, the garden is about 400-500 m2, I think.

The lot is 770 m^2 and the house 2 floors of 100 m^2. 10" brick and 10" reinforced concrete slabs for foundation, floor and roof. Guess it is worth it living in Soviet Slovenia.

an average 3 bedroom house with study and a bit of a backyard is around the $400,000 to $500,000 in the capitals these days

an average 3 bedroom house with study and a bit of a backyard is around the $400,000 to $500,000 in the capitals these days

same here, only worse. If you want a decent 3 bedroom house + yard, you'll be paying around that amount in ?.

Which is a ripoff...