Ethnic tensions escalate in Bulgaria

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
This just happened Friday night.

zx500y290_1162222.jpg

Civic unrest and protests after the murder of a 19-year-old boy

The story is rather short and doesn't have the full details. I read the news in Bulgarian so I'm going to share some of the additional details:

- the murdered boy had a heated argument with boys from the Roma family the day before. They threatened to kill him.
- the Roma family is known as one of the largest producers of alcohol in Bulgaria.
- the next day the boy was walking his dog when a van driven by a 55-year-old member of the Roma family deliberately ran him over and dragged his body for 25 feet.
- 3 Police officers attemted to stop the van, when he ran them over as well. Thankfully, they only have some broken bones.
- local Police released information that there are over 10 complaints and claims against violence shown by the said Roma family

As a result, 3,000 protesters rallied toward the Roma family house (which is as big as a palace). They destroyed a couple of S-classes that belonged to the family and burned one of their properties. Since the event, there have been several other protests (more civil) across the country.

I don't know what is more disturbing in this situation. The murderers of the boy deserve to be punished, yet the protests seem rather hateful. There is no doubt that the Roma family is part of the "mafia" and its actions are shady to say the least. Murdering people is something they have been known to do in the past as well.

But the protests seem to be aimed at the whole Roma culture and ethnic identity. Bulgarians have always shown hatred toward Roman people. Right now, they are making the claim that "killing a Bulgarian boy should not be left unpunished." Assumptions are being made that the whole Roma culture is like this (I can't say I totally disagree with that). Yet from a moral point of view - we are blaming the Roma people for being racist and violent toward us, but we respond no differently.

I have to point out that this is very different from the race riots in the 60's in the States. Discrimination is one thing, deliberate murder based on racial slurs and conflicts is much more serious.

If the family is as crooked as it seems then I don't really feel any pity for them, but it's good that things are becoming more civil.

Discrimination is one thing, deliberate murder based on racial slurs and conflicts is much more serious.
That's certainly true. Hopefully this event doesn't touch off more violence.

I have to point out that this is very different from the race riots in the 60's in the States. Discrimination is one thing, deliberate murder based on racial slurs and conflicts is much more serious.

Not sure if serious or trolling. There are numerous examples of African Americans being murdered for their skin color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Do some reading.

I almost said the same, but I'm not sure if he meant it that way or not.

Not sure if serious or trolling. There are numerous examples of African Americans being murdered for their skin color.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmett_Till

Do some reading.

I apologize, that's not what I was trying to say. I probably should have spent more time synthesizing my post.

The actual point I was trying to make is that - in the 60's in the US the riots were against racial discrimination and violence (even though some violence transpired). What is happening now in Bulgaria is exactly the opposite - the protests basically are calling for racism. What should have been a protest against a crooked mafia family, who happen to be gypsies, turned into a protest against an entire race. I feel uncomfortable translating some of the slogans and messages from these riots, but I will just say that they are statements Hitler would have agreed with.

I'm actually going to write a conference paper on the events, which although recent have their background going way back centuries ago.

I apologize, that's not what I was trying to say. I probably should have spent more time synthesizing my post.

The actual point I was trying to make is that - in the 60's in the US the riots were against racial discrimination and violence (even though some violence transpired). What is happening now in Bulgaria is exactly the opposite - the protests basically are calling for racism. What should have been a protest against a crooked mafia family, who happen to be gypsies, turned into a protest against an entire race. I feel uncomfortable translating some of the slogans and messages from these riots, but I will just say that they are statements Hitler would have agreed with.

I'm actually going to write a conference paper on the events, which although recent have their background going way back centuries ago.

Fair enough, from what I know from my Bulgarian friend about Bulgarian society, would the backlash have been the same if Bulgarian mobsters had committed the same crime? Or is this being treated as an excuse to persecute Roma?

Fair enough, from what I know from my Bulgarian friend about Bulgarian society, would the backlash have been the same if Bulgarian mobsters had committed the same crime? Or is this being treated as an excuse to persecute Roma?

You just hit the nail right on the head.

Due to the vague understanding of democracy and rampant corruption in the political sphere, there are many "mafia" families in the country. All of them break the law and commit crimes. There have been incidents before where they have even killed people, like in the current case.

Yet, there have been no protests against them. This crime really is used as an excuse to persecute the gypsy culture. Like I said, tensions based on the actions and nature of the gypsy culture are not new - they have been suppressed in Bulgarian minds for decades. It even goes as far back to the rule of the Ottoman empire when the Bulgarian people were enslaved by the Turkish.