First they came for the fat-asses, and I said nothing; now they are after the tall.

So what if I am short, don't want extra space, but the only seats left on the plane are the one near the emergency exits - do I still have to pay more, even though I don't want extra space? That extra space will be of no use to me, I will feel just as (un)comfortable but will be charged more. It's ridiculous.

They charge on a lot of UK budget airlines but it is only about ?20. Being 6'4" and 20st I do find it uncomfortable sitting on a lot of seats, but never really had a great problem on aeroplanes. I suppose I only ever go on short haul flights though. Coaches are normally next to impossible for me I find.

For once, I am glad that one aspect of my life is average, 5' 7" here. Oh, and I am made for every Japanese vehicle. ;)

You might as well charge people in wheel chairs more for "wheel chair service" or the blind for being led to their seats. It's not something I can change, short of amputation.

Ryanair tried to introduce a charge for using a wheelchair. Rightly, they were beaten with a very large stick by disability commissions.

Their response? Increase everyone's flight costs by 50p to cover the few who are disabled.

The analogy here would be adding $10 to the cost of everyone's flights so that tall people can get rows with more legroom.

And, by the by, that's not unusual. Jet2 (another lowcost airline) wanted me to do exactly that - pay ?15 to reserve an "extra legroom" seat, instead of ?6 to reserve a "normal" seat or ?0 to have your seat allocated at random*.

*sod that, I want off the giant flying tin can as fast as I can

I usually book early and pick the exit row seats as well so this sucks if it catches on. It is clearly a bs money grab but there isn't anything illegal about it. If you want extra space you have to pay more. It isn't the same as charging fat people for two seats though. In that case the fat person is costing the airline another potential customer and fuel costs. In this case the extra space is already there because of safety reasons.

Of course by this same logic they will start charging people more for the scenic view of a window seat, the luxury of an isle seat, the companionship of a middle seat, the ability to board early for those in the last rows and the people in the front rows will pay more for the freedom to get off first.

So what if I am short, don't want extra space, but the only seats left on the plane are the one near the emergency exits - do I still have to pay more, even though I don't want extra space? That extra space will be of no use to me, I will feel just as (un)comfortable but will be charged more. It's ridiculous.

You could try by just saying you do not accept the responsibilities associated with emergency row seats. But that will probably fail you'll get the same response as if only business class seats were left, tough luck.

I'm sorry, you haven't realized thus far that airlines aren't a public service? Seriously, who's American here, who should know better how capitalism works? ;)

I didn't say they were doing anything illegal.

Well you know what they say:

"In the land Down Under, the one-eyed midget is king."

Or something like that.

Airlines were a tight business before 9/11, now they're nearly impossible. I don't see anything wrong with charging extra for a desirable seat.

If you start digging there're a number of independent research groups, including a few here in Russia, who got fascinating results by testing genetic soe, crops, and other stuff on rats, results include 50% infertility, over 50% weakened or dead newborns in 1st gen, over 75% in 2nd gen and so on, the whole nine yards. Results of these "negative" studies are available all over the internet.

And yes, if one is too fat to fit in the seat and needs a bigger one of two, paying extra is completely justified.

So we're finally going to start thinning out the gene pool? I can't wait. Except that thanks to science the people who shouldn't and can't breed on their own can breed with the help of drugs and/or doctors. A shame, that, the world doesn't need any more people.

I'm pretty sure it's just if you reserve the seats.

For once, I am glad that one aspect of my life is average, 5' 7" here. Oh, and I am made for every Japanese vehicle. ;)

Hear hear! At least we short people can fit into cool cars like Lotuses. Unfortunately, I always seem to ride in the middle of the backseat whenever my friends and I go on a road trip. <_<

Hear hear! At least we short people can fit into cool cars like Lotuses. Unfortunately, I always seem to ride in the middle of the backseat whenever my friends and I go on a road trip. <_<

Meh, I'm 6'4 and I've fit in every car I've tried, other than the Chrysler Crossfire.

Meh, I'm 6'4 and I've fit in every car I've tried, other than the Chrysler Crossfire.

Try a '91 Toyota MR2. I'm 6'2" and can just barely fit. It seems the people in this thread who disagree with the OP are short, bitter, and jealous of us tall people. :p

Why are you going on a road trip in a Lotus?

6'3" - 6'6" | 2? | 2,100,000
:blink: I'm 2 standard deviations above the mean? No wonder cars and airplanes don't fit!

Well, I bet you can get your knee down on any motorcycle, anytime!:lol::mrgreen:

6'3" - 6'6" | 2? | 2,100,000
:blink: I'm 2 standard deviations above the mean? No wonder cars and airplanes don't fit!

I hate most cars. You push the seat all the way back to the stops and still my leg is bent at 45 degrees and touches the bottom of the wheel. I looked into seat extenders for the Polo but nobody seems to sell them.

This is a load of bullshit. I can kind of understand charging people who take up two seats because they never met a Twinkie they didn't like, but we can't do anything about being tall. If we work out and eat right our bones are still the same size.

Fuck you Airlines. Fuck you.
I agree ... and I already have that problem ... at 1.80m height (5.9 - average around here) I?ve never had a seat in an Airplane where I didn?t touch the seat infront of me with my knees (I have rel. long legs and arms compared to my height). If I wanted a comfy flight, I?d have to pay that stupid charge ... or not fly Quantas ... wich I?d choose.

Last edited: