Having Problems With Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini 160GB 2.5" External HDD

Ilpav

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'04 Toyota Corolla LE
As some of you may know, I made a thread about purchasing an external HDD because I was running out of space on mine. I successfully installed the software and it works ok, but I tried to put my Top Gear episodes on it and it says: "Cannot Copy <file name>. Cannot Find the Specified File. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name." Then it just cancels everything.

How can I fix this? All I did was drag and drop the Top Gear folder into the drive's icon.

Please help me on this.

Thanks.

You may be trying to transfer more than you can at once, try breaking it into multiple transfers.

At first I tried to transfer my whole Top Gear file with all the episodes (45.4GB) and that message popped up. Then I tried to transfer just a single series (series 1 - 3.41GB) and it gave the same message after a couple of minutes. It still transferred some of the episodes, just until the episode that had an "error."

Can someone please help me with this because this drive I just bought is useless until this problem is fixed.

Thanks.

You can reformat the external drive. You can also make sure that the top gear files aren't read only and finally, you can re download the file that is causing the problem. And, make sure that the file isn't in use by any program such as utorrnet.

Thanks anyway, but I just plugged the USB cords into different slots at the back because the ones at the front didn't work properly (the connection worked, but there was something wrong there that didn't make the transfers correct).

I successfully transferred all my TG episodes onto the new drive and now have 50 GB left on my PC (had 1 GB before). :D

Another thing: Should I just leave it plugged in all the time, or unplug it every time I don't need it? I set it to go on standby after 3 mins of inactivity, but how much energy do these consume anyway?

You probably weren't getting enough power from the front USB ports to transfer the data. You can leave it plugged in 24/7 but I like to disconnect my external HDD after I'm done backing up my stuff.