iRacing.com Motorsports Simulations

I can confirm that it works haha. It feels so weird though. Kinda feels like the Jetta to me. But in a different way. It's just wrong.

Saw a few people trying it as well. Looks so strange seeing cars oversteering and then people putting more lock on. Bizarre.

Fuckin' street stocks. I swear these guys are all hacks. Even in the top split they can't even drive it round the track without spinning. And when they do spin they don't even know how to make it spin to the inside so they end up causing huge wrecks.

Hellloooo time trial.

The last couple of nights have been a lot of fun. I've done two races in the IrNC (or whatever its called.. SRF/Solstice/MX5 series). I'm practicing for a real race at Laguna Seca in an SRF in June. My main focus is driving in a crowd without hitting them and staying in control.

1st race) started 11th overall and 2nd in class. 1st in class started 2nd overall, so there are a lot of MX5s to pass. All of them, in fact. I passed probably 5 or 6 cars the first lap.. never cutting anyone off, always making sure, in a pass, I was along side completely so they knew I was there. Lead SRF spun when it was in front of me, so thats 1st in class. The overall leader, a Solstice, blew its engine by hitting a tall curb in a pass on a lapped car. I get the overall win... from 11th.

2nd race) started 10th overall, 3rd in class. 1st and 2nd started up towards the front. Again, same thing. Passed 5-6 cars first lap with my personal passing rules. Both SRFs in front spun at different times giving me the class win. The overall leader, another solstice, spun giving me the overall lead, but he was right on my rear end. I didn't change pace or anything, and honestly, if he had put a wheel on me, I would have yielded. I had the class win, which is what mattered. I think in his effort to regain the ZOMGbestWin, he slipped more and fell back a couple of seconds.

Two races, two class and overall wins from 10th+. Just weird, but it really shows what will happen when, while you aren't the fastest, you are consistent, remain in control, and remain calm.

Funny thing, the solstice guy in the 2nd race, at the end, never said "good race" or anything congratulatory. He said "gift" then logged out. Douche.

Funny thing I just got an email about resubscribing to iRacing with the three months for the price of one, and I'll be doing that tomorrow once I get back home to NY, and have my wheel :D

Funny thing I just got an email about resubscribing to iRacing with the three months for the price of one, and I'll be doing that tomorrow once I get back home to NY, and have my wheel :D

I just got that as well. I'll wait to use it until I'm done with school in June.

Random question for iRacers: how do you handle spacial awareness? I don't play iRacing, but from what I see it is very serious in regard to "playing nice" or adhering to rules regarding clean racing. But from a typical cockpit view, it's very hard to tell when someone is beside or behind you, due to the tunnel vision effect of the screen. In other racing games this makes it a real problem for me not to slam into people trying to pass on the inside as I go for the Apex. Or is that a bad move to make in the first place? (coming up inside someone going into a turn without being able to pass).

I'm just not familiar with racing etiquette, I suppose, and it compounds with the lack of peripheral vision provided by a game.

The more serious racers will go for a dual or triple screen setup and you can see slightly to the sides, as well as all mirrors...
For the rest of us mortals, there are a couple options like the Spotter feature, some voice telling you if there's a car to your left or right. The virtual mirror helps a lot too, and the general realization that you're being caught up, cos you've had a bad couple of corners or laps...

Come to think of it, I've played arcade-style racers where an arrow points to vehicles near you and grows as they approach, but I can't think of which games that was.... that seems like it would be quite useful in a sim.

TOCA Race Driver did that. It was a white arrow that turned red when the car behind got a nose along side. The spotter accomplishes pretty much the same thing, and the wide angle virtual mirror lets you see your flanks. I've never really had a problem with those two systems combined, and I run a fairly low field of view - 68 or 70.

Along with those options, you should always when driving have up the relative position box. (F3 by default I think). This is kinda like a mirror, but with numbers instead. Everytime I'm approaching a corner or just coming off one, I will take a quick glance to see how far in front or behind I am of someone. If you keep aware of it, you will never get a shock pass again.

Also use it for exiting pit lane.

I'm in the 3 monitor camp. It's pricey (unless you had a monitor hookup), but nice. I like being able to look at the exit if a corner while entering it. The F3, spotter, and mirrors are excellent. Situational is the best. Even with 3 monitors, if i don't keep an eye on what's behind me, I can get caught off by a car alongside. If you know one is there but you cant see where, I just give me room like they were right next to me. I might lose a corner or ground that way, but I can always come back at them next corner.