Looking for footage on a specific old DTM race

Tzarrim

Hey folks,

Long time ago (15 years?) saw a DTM race which had everything a race should have; it was the decider on who could become the champion, it had a very cool track (think it was Berlin street circuit, but memory fails me a bit). You had two sides back then (Alfa and Mercedes), lots of stress and one driver coming from the back trying desperately to make up time to win the title.

As the race went on one Alfa driver had a good chance of winning the title as he was gaining FAST(the other guy was in a Merc and far ahead). Other Merc drivers made SURE they wouldn't somehow really hinder or make contact with that Alfa as not to wake up with a horse head in their bed the next morning.

When it became evident that the Alfa actually really stood a good chance to win it one merc driver DID hit mim slightly from the back, resulting in the Alfa going off and losing any chance at the title. Now from what I remember it was raining and the Alfa did a 180 to get going again with spinning wheels (4 wheel drive, so some serious power) and he set off again, NOT to try and get the title as that was impossible now, but to catch up with the guy that made him go off.

I remember that there was a HUGE long straight with a sharp right corner at the end, the Alfa had almost caught up with the Merc and as the merc started to break and get ready to make the turn, The Alfa never breaked, he didn't even TRY to make it look like an accident and just rammed the Merc at full speed, totalling his 155 (complete front end was gone).

To me that's what racing should be, passion, suspense, emotion and (per Hammond) gratuitous crashes.

I've been trying to figure out which race it was and getting some footage on it as I'd really like to see it back (still made an impression after all these years, only seeing it once). Does anyone know which race and what year and (if at all possible) have a link?

Thanks in advance.

Since you're talking about an Alfa 155 and Mercedes, this would place it somewhere from 1993 to 1995 or so. And the track you describe definitely sounds like the AVUS in Berlin (just two whackin' great straights on a motorway connected by two hairpins).

Unfortunately, that's everything I can give you.

I think the track you're on about is Norisring. Long straights with Hairpins and each end. Look for that track in the years Vikirad said. You may find it.

Back from holiday :)

Alemannenring hmm, can't remember it but looking at the simulator it sure could be the long straight at the finish line. Tried some more youtube searching but nothing so far :( Amazing as it's (to me) one of the more definitive moments in racing, please help me find it.

Thanks so far guys!