Materials question

Salts are usually somewhat brittle, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what the desired use is.

Salts are usually somewhat brittle, which may or may not be a good thing depending on what the desired use is.

Depends on the crystal structure, I guess. Normal salt, as far as I know, has cubic crystals. Maybe another salt with a more peculiar crystal shape would do the trick.

Really depends how potent a liquid you want to use... if it's liquid red hot magma then I suggest most metals.

What type of "hardness" to you mean? Compression strength? Torsional rigidity?

Torsional for sure. It's nothing that would take an impact like the slide of a pistol. Even with torsional, it would not have to be that high.

Last edited:
Okay, so if you're not looking for compression strength, we know you're likely not looking to make a bullet that will dissolve in blood. *he says after eying-up your avatar* :lol:

Nope, nothing with acidic properties. The dissolve time would involve the amount of the compound or material. It would be thin. So, no more than 2 minutes at most. It has to be unrecoverable and untracable once used. Or, at least pass as something you would find everyday.

I promise, it's nothing illegal that I'm researching. I sure as hell would not ask in a public forum if I were. :)

Last edited:
Hmm....food and medical industries use lots of dissolvable plastic, as in edible packaging. Could something from that direction be of any use ? Think for example vitamin capsules and such. Of course stomach acids are quite strong so I don't know how that sort of stuff would dissolve in water.

perhaps a composite material with those dissolvable plastics and a sort of Epoxy like polymer which bonds with the dissolvable plastic fibers and also dissolvse in liquid.
*grabs his fundamentals of materials science and engineering book :p

Hmmm. I also need it to appear as natural as possible in testing. Say you have a tile of it and throw it in water. It dissolves in a minute or two. When the water is tested, it's shows that something is foreign to the water, but, nothing abnormal either. If it were a salt, the water would simply have a high concentrationof sodium.

Damn, this is getting difficult, but, that's ok.

Hmm, interesting, I wonder if it would have enough mass to give it weight...

Sorry but I'm going to have to make fun of you for this one. That statement makes no sense at all. Everything with mass has weight in a gravitational field. Whether it'll have enough weight for what you want is the question.

It's ok, thanks for the correction. Yes, weight is an issue with what I'm thinking about.

I may have to accept the fact that there may be no such material either.

Last edited:
It's ok, thanks for the correction. Yes, weight is an issue with what I'm thinking about.

I may have to accept the fact that there may be no such material either.

The problem here is the dissolving time: pretty much anything dissolves with enough time (d'uh!). I mean stuff like soap for instance. But 2 minutes is not even nearly enough for even a thin piece of soap to dissolve.

What kind of forces does this mysterious material have to withstand ? Just roughly, I mean stuff like if you put in a backpack and it won't break, does it have to withstand to be thrown into a wall...

The only fast dissolving thing that pops into my mind are these vitamin and what have you tablets:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwZcaYo4AI[/YOUTUBE]

I bet you could make those into any size and shape one can imagine. But again, what kind of forces can those things take, I have no idea.

Last edited: