McLaren P1 simulated at TG track (lap time prediction)

rickyv

I run a site called Race Optimal, where we use a genetic algorithm to calculate ideal racing lines around tracks. I wrote a couple blog posts about the McLaren P1, and in the most recent I simulated it at the Top Gear track. I also simulated the Huayra as a benchmark. Here's the post: http://www.raceoptimal.com/blog/mclaren-p1-pagani-huayra-at-top-gear/

Here's the video of the Huayra. The McLaren is faster...the question is how much?

All of those braking points were horribly wrong, I felt slightly sick just watching that.

I'm not really expecting anything mind-blowing from that car when it hits the Top Gear test track. The circuit requires mostly mechanical grip, so it tends to privilege cars like the GT-R or the Evo, and judging from how Clarkson was shitting himself at Spa at low speeds (they had to resort to clever camera angles and run the cameras in opposite directions of the car to make it look like it was going faster than it was in reality), this doesn't look like it's one of those cars at all. And on this circuit, the car will never reach speeds where it escapes the limitations of the tires or benefits from any downforce.

I honestly think it will be terrible. It will be like that time when they ran the original Veyron and it posted a shit time and everyone was disappointed. I'm also certain that the 918 will do a better lap.

I'm predicting a 1:12 for the P1 and a 1:11 from the 918

I'm not really expecting anything mind-blowing from that car when it hits the Top Gear test track.

It's not meant to be a track racer like that so it's perfectly understandable and OK for it not to be amazing at it. Who would win I'm not so sure; 4wd vs 250kg weight advantage could go either way.