Nigel Mansell's lap...

Re: Nigel Mansell's lap...

Jasruler said:
He cut those two corners awfully narsty like... that could have easily given him the two seconds over the other F1 guys, no?
Two whole seconds? That's an eternity.
I'd guess that cutting would gain maybe 0.1 to 0.2 seconds at most.
Also if you look at Mark Webber's 1.47.1 in the wet and take 3 seconds off that, he'd be in the 1.44's as well.

Webber might have been even a bit quicker. The Stig says that a wet lap on that track is 4 seconds slower. Maybe he's wrong, but he'd surely be at least as fast as Nigel (or very damn close).

BerserkerCatSplat said:
BlaRo said:
Doctor Who's phone booth. From the TV show Doctor Who, appropriately enough.

Man, even I know that, and I'm in America! :tease:

I thought it was a police box, not a phone booth. :p

It's actually called the "Tardis", and yes, it was a Police Phone Booth, dating back to the times in England when the police had their own phone booths for reporting to the station, as there were no walky-talkies, radios, etc.

Sorry to bump an old topic, but I noticed something while watching a recording of Nigel's lap last night that makes me think it was faked.

Watch closely as Nigel drives into the Hammerhead - half way round the corner he's suddenly driving a different Suzuki, which makes me think that Nigel never got that bit of the corner right and then broke the original car, so he drove the Hammerhead again in a different car so they could edit the final film together to make it look like he was doing well.

Grim... you are so damn right

I just watched the thing, intrestingly the license numbers change in one spot from GX5....something To GUO3.....Something. How odd.

Pardon my French, but i hope that this will turn into a shitstorm.

Yeh thats true, theres a different license plate on in a tiny little section after the hammerhead. Nice catch :lol:

Grim... said:
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I noticed something while watching a recording of Nigel's lap last night that makes me think it was faked.

Watch closely as Nigel drives into the Hammerhead - half way round the corner he's suddenly driving a different Suzuki, which makes me think that Nigel never got that bit of the corner right and then broke the original car, so he drove the Hammerhead again in a different car so they could edit the final film together to make it look like he was doing well.

Call me crazy, but really, is it so hard to imagine that he broke a car, drove another lap, then they edited the most interesting parts together? They do it with the celebrities laps. What were they meant to do, show him breaking the car in hammerhead then say "well sorry i guess you can't do a lap then because we wont let you change cars since some people on a forum will conjure up bullshit conspiracy theories." and end the part there?

You're crazy ;)

But the bits with the different car aren't interesting, just correct.

That's what made me stop and think.

They did it again!
Jensen's Suzuki changed near the end of the course.

Does anyone have access to the other F1 drivers laps?

^ You're right - it changes a number of times during the lap - starts out in **** HFN reg, changes to **** WLC reg, and then back and forth a couple of times.

The Doctor said:
How many races did the three-eyebrowed-one crash out of in his time? ;)

well technically he didn't crash, the white lines painted on the track got him
drive2.gif

My guess is that they are not actually showing the fastest lap, but showing the most interesting footage.. It is an entertainment program, all they care about is making it as exciting as possible.

I would be surprised if they're actually faking the times.. :) A fast lap isn't always the most exciting to watch.. Fx Jensons second to last corner, he got a bit sideways =) It just makes it interesting to watch, that's all...