Official Discussion Thread of the 2009 Formula 1 Season

No, it would be over one race after half-way. :p You can't wrap up the championship before it's half-way done. It's mathematically impossible.

This reminds me of a Hungarian ex-F1 commentator who writes a book about every F1 season (the most horrible F1 books I've seen). In his book on the 2002 season, he wrote several times that MS had clinched the WDC before they reached half-season.

No, it would be over one race after half-way. :p You can't wrap up the championship before it's half-way done. It's mathematically impossible.

Lol, and I'm supposed to be good at math :p

The way the FIA run things nothings impossible when Ferrari are involved!

I like that change and give it +1. I do feel they should keep with the budget cap, give less restraint on the engineering. There might be some restrictions, like no turbo, etc, but overall it'll mean less money spent on meaningless tweaks that only give .05sec faster speed

And more options like KERS. Allow them to have a tech that'll make them faster, but also impart a disadvantage that comes with it (like the 50kg extra from KERS). This will make things more interesting and give more permutations and more excitement for the fans. Like this car is running with A, B, D, and F included; but another car is running with B, C and E. Each will have their advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day about whether the new rules would allow more independent teams to enter the sport, getting an engine supply has been made a lot cheaper and the direction of the new rules has hopefully meant that teams can build decent a chassis without extensive wind tunnel testing. The last hurdle now is to get rid of the ?25 million deposit required to enter, its estimated that a lower end team has a budget of around ?30 million so to ask a new team coming in to raise ?30 million to be competitive then raise another ?25 million just to enter really is asking too much! More small teams will also help give young drivers and also young designers a chance to show their talent in the sport.

I like that change and give it +1. I do feel they should keep with the budget cap, give less restraint on the engineering. There might be some restrictions, like no turbo, etc, but overall it'll mean less money spent on meaningless tweaks that only give .05sec faster speed

And more options like KERS. Allow them to have a tech that'll make them faster, but also impart a disadvantage that comes with it (like the 50kg extra from KERS). This will make things more interesting and give more permutations and more excitement for the fans. Like this car is running with A, B, D, and F included; but another car is running with B, C and E. Each will have their advantages and disadvantages.

the problem with giving the engineers too much freedom is that you end up with a team that dominates the whole season and the racing will be boring as hell to watch.

i think it's good enough to overhaul the rules once in a while, to keep things fresh, like what's happening right now with the 09 cars. it's exciting for me to see teams trying so hard to meet deadlines and extract the best performance from the rules.

I was thinking the other day about whether the new rules would allow more independent teams to enter the sport, getting an engine supply has been made a lot cheaper and the direction of the new rules has hopefully meant that teams can build decent a chassis without extensive wind tunnel testing. The last hurdle now is to get rid of the ?25 million deposit required to enter, its estimated that a lower end team has a budget of around ?30 million so to ask a new team coming in to raise ?30 million to be competitive then raise another ?25 million just to enter really is asking too much! More small teams will also help give young drivers and also young designers a chance to show their talent in the sport.
I kind of expected that to go way of scrounger together our money and starting a team. We could have a car with rockets and machine guns on it, no one would try to mess with us!

On a more serious note, these changes will hopefully cut back on the underdog being slaughtered in races.

I don't know, toro rosso and FI still seem like they are at the back of the pack..

And they are running big boy engines, and TR is even running big boy chassis. The only thing they had to design is integrations and tweak it a bit.

Wins to decide world champion in 2009

Formula One's world champion in 2009 will be the driver with the biggest number of wins during the season, the FIA said on Tuesday

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73744

I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

Damn it. Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.Damn it.

I'll keep saying "Damn it" until Bernie drops dead.

On another note...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73743

FIA introduces ?30m budget cap

By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 13:30 GMT

The FIA has introduced a budget cap in Formula 1 for the 2010 season, as autosport.com predicted last month, following a meeting of its World Motor Sport Council on Tuesday.

The voluntary cap will be set at ?30 million per team per season, and those outfits signing up to the option will be allowed total technical freedom.

The FIA hopes that the move will make it easier for news teams to enter F1 and allow those teams without manufacturer support to be guaranteed a long future in the sport.

As a way of enticing teams to take up the option of the budget cap, the FIA has stated that it will tweak the regulations to ensure those with restricted finances will be just as competitive as those spending unlimited amounts of money.

A statement issued by the FIA said: "The technical freedoms accorded to the low-budget teams will be adjusted from time to time to keep their median performance on a par with the median performance of the unlimited-expenditure teams. The regulations for the unlimited-expenditure teams will remain stable and fixed."

FIA president Max Mosley confirmed that the ?30 million budget cap would include drivers' salaries.

When asked what was included, Mosley said: "Everything except the motor home (if the team has one) and any fine(s) imposed by the FIA. All expenditure will be included, even the salaries of the drivers and team principal.

"If the team is profitable, it can pay a dividend to its shareholders, who may well include a chief engineer, team principal or even a driver. But we would make sure the team was genuinely making enough profit to cover the dividend."

Mosley also outlined details of what technical freedoms teams that signed up for the budget cap would be allowed.

"A different (but standard) under body, movable wings, no engine rev limit, no restriction on the number or type of updates, no homologation requirements, no limits on materials, testing, simulators, wind tunnels and so forth - most of the cost saving measures introduced over the last few years will not apply to these teams," he explained.

"However measures to save money during the race weekend, such as the ban on refuelling and the Saturday parc ferme, will apply to both categories of team. We are also thinking about a much bigger capacity KERS for the cost-capped teams. But all this must be covered by the ?30 million - no exceptions and no free or subsidised outside help.

"Anything supplied by another team or an outside supplier will be included at its full commercial cost except for items supplied to all teams at subsidised rates under the single supplier arrangements negotiated by the FIA (e.g. for tyres), which allow all teams to benefit equally from reduced costs."

He added: "The engine will comply with current rules, except that there will be no rev limit and no development freeze. However, the entire engine expenditure will come out of the cap. If the engine is supplied by an outside commercial entity or another team, we will have to be satisfied that there is no hidden subsidy.

"If a team has its own engine, we will check its full cost just as we will the rest of the car. The current rule limiting manufacturers to supplying engines to one additional team each will remain in place."

Last edited:
SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING REALLY NASTY NOW. I'M SO PISSED I CAN'T GET ANY COHERENT CUSS WORDS OUT OF MY SYSTEM NOW.

Max, Bernie and their cronies should be hung, drawn and quartered... or is that too good for them?

* Yeah, it's a modified quote from a pissed-off Morris Marina owner.

That's too good for them. They deserve a fate worse than death. They should be tortured. Throw them into a pit of irate fans. :mad:

That's too good for them. They deserve a fate worse than death. They should be tortured. Throw them into a pit of irate fans. :mad:

Is everyone up for that one? Should we form an angry mob of fans that tracks down Max&Bernie and beats them to a pulp?

This time, FIA+FOTA=FIASCO 2.

More team orders...
More controversy... Imagine if the system had been introduced last year (Hamilton losing his win at Spa...)
More chance for the driver with the fastest car, less chance for a better driver in a slower car...

The driver with 10 DNF could be the WDC by a mile, it's just ridiculous.

There must be no god in this world. If there is it must be on Bernie's side.

TG should set the Stig loose. :stig::devil:

For pete's sake. Nobody wanted this, it's insane if FIA can get through with this one.

Too late. The approval of the World Motorsport Council means that this is done, dusted and written into the 2009 F1 Sporting Regulations.

EDIT: Should we have a thread into which we can just post the useless clutterings and gunshots fired by Max & Bernie towards the teams, and the teams' replies along with our outrage?

Last edited:
Too late. The approval of the World Motorsport Council means that this is done, dusted and written into the 2009 F1 Sporting Regulations.

EDIT: Should we have a thread into which we can just post the useless clutterings and gunshots fired by Max & Bernie towards the teams, and the teams' replies along with our outrage?

I'll still wait for the FOTA response to this. I don't expcet them to be happy about this either.