Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Pretty good showing for my first competition outing in the Miata... 5th in class both races. The tires took too long to come in for the first qualifying and I set a lap that was 2 seconds slower than it should have been, but I made up a few positions.

EDIT: I got loaned an HD Contour to film my race with when my GoPro died. Here's the footage from race 1. The silver 84 car that I follow for the first part is my team mate, David Allen.

Last edited:
Jason Potato had a rather big crash today in race 2 of the BTCC at Donington Park.

btcc11041706-a.jpg

btcc11041706-f.jpg

Amazingly though, he got the car out for race three and finished sixth. Gotta hand it to him, that's impressive.

Amazingly though, he got the car out for race three and finished sixth. Gotta hand it to him, that's impressive.

Having watched that third race Plato making it up to sixth was largely thanks to the horrible driving demonstrated by others. There were loads of incidents in that race. Not that Plato's drive would not have been very good, just worth pointing out.

His mechanics, though... They are the ones who did the astounding job and deserve all the credit they get for that one.

Should probably have mentioned that. RML have pulled of miracle work before and they excelled themselves once again.

EDIT: I got loaned an HD Contour to film my race with when my GoPro died. Here's the footage from race 1. The silver 84 car that I follow for the first part is my team mate, David Allen.

What's your take on the Contour HD vs the GoPro?

On a different subject, I did my formation to become a flagmen last Saturday.

Now I need to flag at one car event, one kart event, and another event of my choice, and I'll be eligible to flag at the Canadian F1 Grand Prix in June :D

Okay, I freaking love that neon blue/yellow paintjob on that one Pi?ata. That's adorable. Do want.

</totalgirlcomment>

The track looks like lots of fun, too.

{ moar envy }

Last edited:
What's your take on the Contour HD vs the GoPro?

The Contour is better in practically every aspect. You can customize and load multiple configurations from your computer and change between two presets on the camera. You can change stuff like exposure, brightness, sound, GPS frequency, etc.

The mount it comes with is also a lot better than the GoPro, plus you can find ample aftermarket mounts since it's a simple tripod screw mount.

Okay, I freaking love that neon blue/yellow paintjob on that one Pi?ata. That's adorable. Do want.

</totalgirlcomment>

The track looks like lots of fun, too.

{ moar envy }

That's April Halliday's car. It turns out more yellow on camera but it's actually a neon green (the stripe).

Thunderhill makes good racing, but it's kinda boring to drive on your own - long corners and straights. The racing it makes is awesome though.

Yeah--as much as I like the GoPro for being easy to use, the proprietary mount system is for the birds.

Reigning STCC champion Richard G?ransson has fractured his spine in a horrific accident while in the lead of the first race of the season. Apparently the BMW he was driving suffered brake failure or something similar.

I wish him the swiftest possible recovery.

My second season of karting started today. It was at Mosport again of course, and this happened to be my second race in the rain ever. But I think it went pretty well. I qualified 2nd (Though qualification was still in the dry, the rain began right before the actual race), but dropped down to third midway through the race. However, I managed to get back into 2nd on the last lap, when the driver in front of me understeered and opened up a gap. Quite happy with the result, it was well worth getting drenched and reeking of gasoline :p

Oh, and it's probably also worth mentioning that the Mosport karting club doesn't have any rain tires, as they can't justify the extra $35,000 a year to fund it, so we run on slicks. Pretty much any rookie, myself included, ends up spinning damn nearly anywhere on their first try. My first rain race involved more spinouts than actual driving :lol:

Last edited:
DTM spoiler ahead!
Ralph Schumacher finally seems to have gotten his thumbs out of his arse. He finished third in the opening DTM race after Mattias Ekstr?m (2nd) and Bruno Spengler (winner).