"Rebuilding" a Computer

P5138

Car(s)
2001 Impreza RS
Earlier today I went to help a friend of mine install a new graphics card and PSU. After I finally get them installed (it's a tight squeeze) I attempt to turn on the computer and nothing happened. I checked the around and it was the hard drive. On the last test, a small flame appeared and a transistor disappeared and the disc became a paperweight.

So, now we need to get a new drive and re-install windows on this machine but I'm left with a small question:

The computer has motherboard video and the graphics card. Without a hard drive, will it fall back to the motherboard? Or should I pull the graphics card until Windows is up and running first?

Oh! And if anyone knows a good IDE drive...

You don't need to worry about video, that information is stored in the BIOS and HDD or OS has no say in that.

As for the drive itself, 160gb is a good compromise in price and storage, they go for about $50. Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung, and Fujitsu are all good choices.

For like $20 more, you can get a 500GB or even a 750GB.

Unless you are REALLY sure you don't need the space, not worth buying anything under 500GB these days.

^what he said. you simply cannot buy too much HD space.

Also, be glad it's just the harddrive. I had a faulty graphics card that seized, and it took the mobo with it :cry:

^what he said. you simply cannot buy too much HD space.

Also, be glad it's just the harddrive. I had a faulty graphics card that seized, and it took the mobo with it :cry:

Please, don't scare me. A hard drive is more than enough for me to deal with right now. if the motherboard went, then it would be time to start anew with a new case (Since the gateway case, and computer, we're using now isn't very great as it is.)

I thought BIOS had basic output drivers in it, but when I tried to start the comp without a drive, BIOS was not there... I guess the only way to know for sure now is to get a VGA wire to test the on-board graphics output.

500GB is a good, healthy minimum for me. Anything less and it's just not worth it.

If the motherboard has sata, get a sata drive and not ide.

I thought BIOS had basic output drivers in it, but when I tried to start the comp without a drive, BIOS was not there... I guess the only way to know for sure now is to get a VGA wire to test the on-board graphics output.

That is not a good sign, especially when you have mentioned a flaming piece of computer was involved. You may have fried more than the hdd.

That is not a good sign, especially when you have mentioned a flaming piece of computer was involved. You may have fried more than the hdd.

Well, it wasn't a big flame, but I've brought the computer to my house for "further evaluation." If (worst case) the motherboard is fried too (which all signs point to "yes") then it will be time to build again from scratch.

What else could it mean when there is no video output from the comp, no LED lights on the front status indicators and the CD and DVD drives won't open while the unit is "On" and the PSU and case fans are running and the (new) HDD is spinning?