Remove cross threaded nut

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Right now I am in the process of removing my car's rear axel. Unfortunately one of the nuts holding the spring to the axel is cross threaded. Any suggestions for removing it?

Haynes says: Box end wrench and large hammer.

Kidding aside... how badly cross threaded? I've only ever dealt with one really bad cross thread before and I just ended up cutting it off. Probs not the answer you were looking for, but it's the easiest solution if it won't F 'ur A in the future.

Cross threaded or just totally rusted on? If it's cross threaded you'll probably need a nut splitter. That'd work for a rusted-on nut too, but first I'd try soaking it for a while with a good penetrating lube if that's actually the case. You may need a breaker bar with a section of pipe slipped over the end to make it longer.

Step 1: Ask Spectre for a suitable weapon recommendation
Step 2: Blow the "cross nut's" brains out. ... Blam...

Er thinks. ... Have I made a slight mis-understood? ....

Right now I am in the process of removing my car's rear axel. Unfortunately one of the nuts holding the spring to the axel is cross threaded. Any suggestions for removing it?

Got a pic of it?

You've got to be careful using the long-bar-slipped-over-the-wrench method. If you round the nut, you've screwed yourself for another method that might have loosened it enough that the wrench could still grab.

Well I solved this one myself. I bought a nut cracker and broke the thing off. Off course I wasn't paying much attention and dug into the big metal U clip, but those are fortunately pretty cheap ( a couple bucks ).