So long, OEM CD players

You mean I did not need these guys in my car then? They've cost a fortune!

2421_knskedox86.jpg

When I replaced my old Audio CD -only HU I was actually wondering why I can't buy something with FM + USB only. I don't ever use the CD now when I can connect my iPhone with the HU. Even if mass produced CD players don't cost much, the components to read CD can easily double the amount of total parts in the HU.

When I replaced my old Audio CD -only HU I was actually wondering why I can't buy something with FM + USB only. I don't ever use the CD now when I can connect my iPhone with the HU. Even if mass produced CD players don't cost much, the components to read CD can easily double the amount of total parts in the HU.

It's funny you mention this, because while making a HU USB or ipod compatible only mechanically more simple, Sony has gone the opposite way and made a headunit even more complicated by introducing a retractable ipod tray that is hidden inside during operation

dsx-s200x.jpg

It's funny you mention this, because while making a HU USB or ipod compatible only mechanically more simple, Sony has gone the opposite way and made a headunit even more complicated by introducing a retractable ipod tray that is hidden inside during operation

That's just... incredibly stupid :D

All after market companies have models with stupid gimicks. I remember several years ago Sony had a model that had a 1GB USB flash drive built in the face plate that you could load music to.