Test drove a Ford GT and a Corvette Z06

ArosaMike said:
An interesting read. Just out of interest, have you driven many mid engined cars before?

Not on a long term basis, no. But I didn't have the same sensation with the Gallardo or the F430.

ArosaMike said:
Oh...and for the record, cause it really winds me up being a racer myself....it's go Kart not cart ;)

I know, but it irks me to type it because I hate intentionally misspelled works like "Pop-Korn" or "Teenz". Where does the "kart" spelling come from, out of curiosity?

I still think the GT is an awesome car from an ideal perspective and I applaud Ford for building it. I just wouldn't want to live with it.

Re: Test drove a Ford GT and a Corvette Z06

BerserkerCatSplat said:
janstett said:
I've already been for a ride in one (my former boss sold his Shelby Cobra to get it)

He sold a Shelby Cobra to buy a Z06? :cry: He sold an appreciating asset to buy a depreciating one?

Smooth.

Well, for one, he got the Z06 for sticker and sold it for $10k over that within 6 months. Dealers are easily getting $5-10k markups.

Second, I didn't tell you the whole story. This guy made it big during the boom when his company IPO'd. He bought a 911 turbo immediately after; sold it for an M3; sold that, and got not one, but two Shelby Cobras, one for his father (who was apparently a big shot in Detroit, something like the big fuel injection guy at Chrysler or something), one for himself. So even though he sold the Cobra for the Z06, he still expects to get his dad's Cobra down the road.

Now, also I should disclose that these aren't original Cobras but the Superformance repros made in South Africa. He never spelled out exactly how much he spent but I estimated $120k each (you have to get your motor separately and he had the supercharged Ford motor).