The Toyota Automobile Museum: Part 1 (pictures galore!)

BlaRo

Little Nudger
Car(s)
Moto Guzzi V7 Special, Saab 900 Turbo
Pictures from the Toyota Museum, as promised. C'mon, let's go on an adventure!

Part 1: European and US Cars

outside.jpg

The Toyota Automobile Museum is a 5-minute ride from Nagoya on a maglev train, and it's conveniently in front of the station. Admission is 1000 yen, or about $10, and it might have been the best $10 I spent in Japan!

astonmartinvantage.jpg

Aston Martin V8 Vantage that screamed past. It's shaping up to be a good day after all...

toyotaaa1.jpg

Toyota AA, their first passenger car ever, production started in 1936.

toyotaaa2.jpg

This one was a reproduction assembled from original drawings for the 50th anniversary of either the Museum or the company, I forgot.

entrance.jpg

The entrance to the 2nd floor, European and US Cars. Look at that cute little Fiat 500! :happy:

benz3.jpg

Benz 3-wheel, first car ever built (besides Cugnot's steam car). Replica.

3engine.jpg

Close-up of the engine.

oldscurveddash.jpg

1902 Oldsmobile Curved Dash, the first mass-produced automobile. It sold 5,000 units in 1904, when the European companies were just breaking 1,000.

panhardlevassorb2

1901 Panhard et Levassor B2, the first car to pioneer the front-engined, rear-drive FR layout. Was raced as well, Nick Mason owns one.

rollsroycesilverghost1.jpg

1910 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost. It was so utterly magnificent, I loved it.

rollsroycesilverghost2.jpg

I really couldn't get enough of it. It's not a vehicle, it's a sculpture, a work of art.

fordmodelt1.jpg

1909 Ford Model T. I thought they only came in black...

fordmodelt2.jpg

Another view, with that lump of coal they called an engine back then. ;)

bakerelectric.jpg

Museum sign said:
Electric cars continued to be produced for a long time after the spread of gasoline-powered vehicles in the US. This car had a one-horsepower motor and could reach speeds of up to 40km/h and cover about 80km on a single recharging of the battery.

cadillacmodela.jpg

1902 Cadillac Model A. I believe this was the car that they did the famous demonstration where they took apart three Cadillacs, mixed the parts around, and rebuilt them and they worked.

stanleysteamer.jpg

1909 Stanley Steamer (not to be confused with a Cleveland Steamer). This car set a world record for steam-powered cars in 1906, going 127mph at Ormond Beach in Florida.

steamcar.jpg

Simple diagram on how steam cars work.

museumwalls.jpg

Here they had some odds and ends, like penny farthings, kiddie cars, and a few gas station signs.

duesenberg.jpg

Duesenberg hood ornament, which I thought was neat. 1930 Flying Wheel.

packard.jpg

Packard hood ornament, which I thought was neater. 1930 Goddess of Speed.

benzvelo.jpg

Museum sign said:
One of the earliest commercially produced cars in history, the Velo was sold in France and the U.S. as well as Germany. The Velo features a vertical flywheel engine, and its two-speed transmission system of pulleys and belts gave it a top speed of 21 km/h.

delagetyped8-1201.jpg

If the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost above is the Mona Lisa, then this is the Venus de Milo. An equally stunning work of art. The Delage Type D8-120.

delagetyped8-1202.jpg

delagetyped8-1203.jpg

Museum Sign said:
After considerable success in motor racing, Delage turned to making luxury vehicles. The body of the car on display was made by the premier coach builder in France at the time: Figoni and Falaschi.

cordmodel812benz500k.jpg

Cord Model 812 and Benz 500k convertible, respectively. The rare, sleek Cord was one of the first front-drive cars, and the Benz has a supercharged inline-8 engine that reinforced its image as a sophisticated luxury sports car.

morgan3wheel2.jpg

Morgan 3-Wheel. Sorry, but I couldn't help laughing. :lol:

ssjaguar100.jpg

Jaguar SS 100 convertible. Behind it is an MG Midget Type TA.

lanciaasturatipo233c2.jpg

1936 Lancia Astura Tipo 233 C2 convertible.
Museum sign said:
The Astura was unveiled by Lancia in 1931, and the 1933 model came with a bigger engine. From 1935, the body design was assigned to Pinin Farina and other coach builders who created a highly attractive and luxurious sports car.

Three of the most famous Le Mans cars below:
bentley.jpg

Bentley 4 1/2 liter, won 5 Le Mans races. "The world's fastest lorries", according to Ettore Bugatti. Spectacular beast of a car. :bow:

bugattit35b.jpg

Bugatti T35B, another Le Mans legend. Nick Mason owns one of these as well.

alfaromeo6c.jpg

Alfa Romeo 6C. Nick Mason owns one of these, as well, lucky bastard...(technically, it's the 8C featured in the book Into the Red, however)

rollsroycephantomIIIbrochure.jpg

A brochure for the 1935 Rolls-Royce Phantom III.

rollsroycephantomIII.jpg

And here's the real thing!

cadillac.jpg

Cadillac Series 452A next to it, with a massive 7.4 liter V16 engine producing 165hp. Today's 16-cylinder Veyron produces 6 times that: how's that for progress?

packard12fdr.jpg

Packard Twelve that belonged to Franklin Roosevelt.

Museum sign said:
Its sophisticated styling, quiet and reliable engine coupled with exceptional durability made the Packard 12 one of America's most famous vehicles. America's 32nd President Franklin Delano Roosevelt used a Packard 12 as his presidential vehicle, reinforcing it with tank-like armor and bulletproof glass.

renaulttypedj1.jpg

1913 Renault Type DJ.

renaulttypedj2.jpg

Museum sign said:
Known for its unique front view with a streamlined hood instead of an ungainly radiator, the 1913 DJ features a luxury limousine body and, as in horse-drawn carriages, the driver's cabin and rear passenger area are partitioned off.

typedjinside2.jpg

The luxury interior. Nothing but a big couch, lots of wood, lots of carpet. I'd love to ride inside something like that!

delaunaybellevilletypehb6.jpg

1911 Delaunay-Belleville Type HB6, note the unusual round grille on the front.

stutzbearcat.jpg

1914 Stutz Bearcat. The original, classic one, not the hideous neoclassical seafaring freighter built on your grandfather's 1988 Buick LeSabre.

charcoalbuick1.jpg

Charcoal-powered Buick!

charcoalbuick2.jpg

Museum sign said:
Around the time of WWII, gasoline shortages encouraged the development of alternative gas-emitting devices to allow cars to run on coal, charcoal, or wood. The model on display is a Buick with a charcoal gas generator.
fordarmyjeep.jpg

It's Sarge! WWII Ford army jeep. Yes, Ford: Willys-Overland won the contract with their jeep over Ford, but when they couldn't produce enough Ford was contracted to build the rest.

kdfbeetle.jpg

Beetle, back when it was called the "KDF-Wagen" and built in "KDF-Stadt". :p
lincolnzephyr1.jpg

Lincoln Zephyr next to the Caddy above. It was a popular entry-level car in Lincoln's portfolio that made up 80% of Lincoln's sales in the first year alone. Also, it influenced the designs of both Volkswagen's Beetle and Toyota's AA (seen above).

lincolnzephyr2.jpg

Rear view.

citroen1btractionavant.jpg

The famous 1937 Citroen 11B, world's first mass-produced (the Cord 812 above as well as the 810 had come slightly earlier, but were expensive and rare) FWD car.
Museum sign said:
This was the first mass-produced car in the world to use front-wheel drive; its body structure and suspension were revolutionary for their time, and Citroen's reputation for producing advanced, unique cars started with this model.

morriseightkdfbeetle.jpg

Morris Eight and Herbie's great-grandfather.
Museum sign said:
British car manufacturers believed that the average car owner would want to take maintenance into their own hands for reasons of economy. The Morris Eight embodied that belief.
You think that explains all those jokes about Lucas electrics and old MG and Triumph roadsters? :lol:

evolution.jpg

Neat poster showing the evolution of automobiles. Right around now, we should be driving Buckminister Fuller's Dymaxion Car, which would be terrific!

desotoairflow.jpg

De Soto Airflow, cruelly called one of the ugliest vehicles ever produced. That's too harsh, as it was very ahead of its time and influenced a lot of future cars.
Museum sign said:
The streamlined design, body structure, engine positioning, and many other unique features made the De Soto a truly ground-breaking model. Unfortunately, it was too advanced for its market and was a commercial disaster, but it had a huge influence on other automakers.

bebe.jpg

Peugeot Bebe, designed by Ettore Bugatti. It was tiny! Looked so fragile, like it would collapse if I exhaled too deeply.

bebeoxford.jpg

Side view of Bebe (cute name!:happy:) with Morris Oxford in the background.

fordmodel40chevyconfederate.jpg

Ford Model 40, with the famous Ford V8 that was admired by Bonnie and Clyde, next to the strangely-named Chevrolet Confederate.

And that's my trip so far to the Toyota Museum. Parts 2 and 3 coming soon: The Parking Lot/Intermission and Japanese Cars.

Unfortunately I can't see any of the pictures either. :(

Gimme a second, I'm setting permissions to the directory right now... :oops:

Edit: Ok, they're up, everything's fixed. They may take a while to load, but hopefully they'll be worth it.

WOW! Thats great! Thank you very much for the pictures!

FYI, the Stutz Bearcat is considered the worlds first sportscar. And GOD! that Delage is gorgeous!

Cadillac Series 452A next to it, with a massive 7.4 liter V16 engine producing 165hp. Today's 16-cylinder Veyron produces 6 times that: how's that for progress?

Not that massive really. The cylinders must be fairly small compared to the 7.4 liter (454 ci) V8 of the 1970s.

Brilliant pics. Thanks a lot! 8)

jetsetter said:

Not that massive really. The cylinders must be fairly small compared to the 7.4 liter (454 ci) V8 of the 1970s.
all V16s are massiv... even if its a 3liter :p

Awesome photos BlaRo, looks like it certainly was $10 well spent. Some gorgeous cars in there!

wow, so toyota can make good looking cars with interesting styling too?

:thumbsup: toyota AA

Thank you so much for posting that. I've been to Tokyo twice on business (Minato-Ku) and didn't get to indulge myself with trip to the Toyota museum. This is the next best thing. :D

Wow after seeing all of your pictures, reading what you thought and what not.And seeing lonley plant from japan the other night i think i really wanna go there.

are lots of the signs in english as well as Japanesnenees? or just important ones? Is it best to know a bit of Japanese before going or do most people speak english well enough?

Looking foward to the next sets of photos. You also going to just post a few other pictures around japan? such as shopping centers, big cities with ads like times square? if not thats cool but id be interested in that too :)

FATMOUSE said:

It was so good that Toyota remade it in the 90s.

http://img214.imageshack.**/img214/6371/toyota20classic1ux0.jpg

Oh, and the bit about the Model T being only black, should be explained with a brief history lesson:

Wheels Magazine said:
Almost 80 years after the end of its production, Ford's Model T remains the second biggest-selling car in history after the Volkswagen Beetle. Between October 1908 and May 1927, Ford's revolutionary US assembly line plants at Piquette and Highland Park produced 15,007,033 examples of the Model T.

Still, the best known fact about the Ford is that it only came in black, right? Henry Ford's famous quote about the Model T's choice of finishes was that "You can have it in any colour you like, so long as it's black." While it's almost certain that Ford did actually say this, the relevant point is when he said it. Because for the Model T's first year, they came in red, green or grey. Black wasn't even available.

Ford was as canny as they come. There's a story that FOrd insisted that his steering wheel supplier should package each wheel in a timber box, to ensure no damage in transit. Ford was using the flat sides of each crate for the Model T's floor panels.

Ford's workers were paid nearly double the award wages, encouraging them to become Ford customers as well as employees. Henry Ford rearranged the standard nine-hour shift to eight hours, less through altruism than to divide a day into three shifts.

When Model T assembly began at the little Piquette plant, it took workers 12 hours to complete a car. Within six years, the Highland Park assembly line was producing a complete new car in a little over 90 minutes. By the time production ceased in 1927, it was down to 24 seconds.

In such an environment, it was hardly surprising that, in 1913, Ford elected to paint every new Model T black. The three original colours (red, green, grey) had been joined in 1909 by blue and black, the latter being a very common laquer called Japan black (sometimes also known as Brunswick black).

Japan black, an asphalt base dissolved in turps, had the significant advantage of curing within 48 hours. In the early-'20s, automotive laquers could take up to 14 days to cure.

Ford built his Model T exclusively in black for 11 years. It didn't seem to hurt sales - between 1917 and 1923, Ford didn't bother to advertise. When Ford built its 10 millionth Model T in June 1924, it was estimated that nine of every 10 cars in the world was a Model T.

Also in 1924, however, General Motors had become the first to embrace a new type of paint, a quick drying nitrocellulose lacquer (otherwise known as pyroxylin) that would put the DuPont company on the map. The new 'Duco' paint was introduced, in a blue hue, on GM's 1925 model year Oakland cars.

Within short order, the Model T, already an identifiably old car alongside rival Chevrolets, Buicks and Oldsmobiles, was further stigmatised by the pooverty pack black paintwork. In an effort to boost flagging sales - and Ford's flagging corporate image - colour choice was reintroduced for the 1926 Model Ts, starting with Deep Channel Green on the Tudors (two-doors) and Windsor Maroon on the Fordors.

Henry Ford wrote to dealers, asking them to discourage hardtop buyers from choosing black. Even the cheapest, open top models were upgraded to colour, albeit several months later.

The Model T was replaced by the all new Model A in December 1927. Interestingly, you could have almost any colour you liked - except black.

Thanks for the comments guys! :D

Topher said:
Wow after seeing all of your pictures, reading what you thought and what not.And seeing lonley plant from japan the other night i think i really wanna go there.

are lots of the signs in english as well as Japanesnenees? or just important ones? Is it best to know a bit of Japanese before going or do most people speak english well enough?

Looking foward to the next sets of photos. You also going to just post a few other pictures around japan? such as shopping centers, big cities with ads like times square? if not thats cool but id be interested in that too :)
Japanese people are really friendly,especially to foreigners with lots of money. I didn?t know a single word of Japanese (except for ?bakka? :p) and I got along fine. Store signs are in Japanese, but in big cities like Tokyo there's a lot of English, and even more Engrish.

For more on Japan read my site (big plug!)

FATMOUSE said:

its only fair to say that ......
The Toyoda AA was built with a disign from an american car and many parts from american and european cars..
(wassent untill 1957 or so that all toyotas were 100% bult by toyota )

and yes.. the AA was a Toyoda .. not a toyota :p
(name change in 1938 or something :p)

Great cars so far - I'm really looking forward for the Japanese section as there are very probably plenty of cars I don't know yet.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I visited the museum as well last Sunday whilst in Japan and it was everything I could have asked for and more.

I'll update this with some pics from Level 2: Japanese cars

Last edited:
First, some more pics of the Rolls, since it truly is a thing of beauty.

http://img208.imageshack.**/img208/3198/pa220188fe8.jpg
The inline-6 motor

http://img208.imageshack.**/img208/5921/pa220191fv8.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.**/img208/8149/pa220192pz1.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/5903/pa220193da6.jpg
The interior

There was also a section on Level 1 to do with American car art and advertising. It was interesting to see concept sketches of cars from the sixties and seventies and how they managed to screw up some designs into some of the bloated barges we know today.

1955 Ford Thunderbird
http://img208.imageshack.**/img208/8471/pa220201ok6.jpg

Kaiser Henry J
http://img207.imageshack.**/img207/9978/pa220203pn6.jpg

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://img213.imageshack.**/img213/319/pa220204zo3.jpg