Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules

jack_christie

Forum Addict
Top Gear's Burma Special in which Jeremy Clarkson used a racial slur broke broadcasting rules, Ofcom has said.

The show featured a segment showing the hosts looking at a bridge they had built on the River Kwai as a local man walked across it.

Clarkson remarked: "That is a proud moment. But there's a slope on it."
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28522450

Standards cases

In Breach

Top Gear Burma Special
BBC 2, 16 March 2014, 20:00

Introduction

Top Gear is a long-running magazine series on motoring. Presenters Jeremy
Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond provide information and commentary
about cars and interact with the audience and special guests. Programmes are light-hearted in tone, and typically include quirky and humorous banter between the
presenters.

This particular episode was the second part of a two-part special, filmed in Burma,
where the Top Gear presenters crossed the country in trucks and built a makeshift
bridge over the River Kwai in Thailand. On observing the completed bridge, on which
an Asian man is seen walking towards them, Jeremy Clarkson and Richard
Hammond engaged in the following conversation:

Jeremy Clarkson: ?That is a proud moment?but?there is a slope on it.?
Richard Hammond: ?You are right?[pointing]?it is definitely higher on that side.?
Jeremy Clarkson then narrates, over images of the bridge: ??we decide to ignore the
slope and move onto the opening ceremony.?
Ofcom received two complaints from viewers who expressed concern that the word
?slope? referred to the Asian man crossing the bridge and was an offensive racist
term.

Ofcom noted that the word ?slope? is an offensive and pejorative term for a person of
East Asian descent, which originated during the Vietnam War
. Jeremy Clarkson
used the word at exactly the same time as the Asian man crossed the bridge.
Ofcom considered that the use of this reference warranted further investigation under
the following rule of the Code:
Rule 2.3: ?In applying generally accepted standards broadcasters must ensure
that material which may cause offence is justified by the context?Such
material may include but is not limited to?discriminatory treatment or
language (for example on the grounds of?race?).?
Ofcom therefore asked the BBC how this material complied with Rule 2.3.

Response
The BBC stated that the programme: ?used the word in what the programme-makers
believed was an inoffensive, humorous play on words, addressed at the build quality
of a bridge which the team had constructed and a local Asian man who was crossing
it.?

The BBC added that although the programme-makers: ?knew that the word could be
used to refer to people of Asian origin they believed that such use was mere slang.?
The programme-makers were ?not aware at the time that it had the potential to cause
offence particularly in some countries outside the UK? and had they been aware of
this, the word would not have been used in this context.

The BBC stated that it had ?already issued a public statement apologising for the use
of the word and for any offence which its use caused? and the BBC added that it
?unreservedly? repeated that apology. A copy of the public statement, authored by
the Executive Producer of Top Gear, Andy Wilman, was provided to Ofcom and read:
?When we used the word ?slope? in the recent Top Gear Burma Special it was a
light-hearted word play joke referencing both the build quality of the bridge and
the local Asian man who was crossing it.

We were not aware at the time, and it has subsequently been brought to our
attention, that the word ?slope? is considered by some to be offensive and
although it might not be widely recognised in the UK, we appreciate that it can be
considered offensive to some here and overseas, for example in Australia and
the USA.

If we had known that at the time we would not have broadcast the word in this
context and regret any offence caused.?
Decision

Under the Communications Act 2003, Ofcom has a duty to set standards for the
content of programmes as appear to it best calculated to secure the standards
objectives. One of these is that ?generally accepted standards? are applied so as to
provide adequate protection for members of the public from the inclusion of offensive
and harmful material. These standards are contained in the Code. Broadcasters are
required under Rule 2.3 of the Code to ensure that, in applying generally accepted
standards, they must ensure that the inclusion of material which may cause offence
is justified by the context.

In reaching a decision in this case, Ofcom acknowledged the importance attached to
the right to freedom of expression in broadcasting. Broadcasters must be permitted
to enjoy the creative freedom to explore controversial and challenging issues and
ideas, and the public must be free to view and listen to those issues and ideas,
without unnecessary interference.

However, the Code requires that potentially offensive material is justified by its
context. As such, there is significant room for innovation, creativity and challenging
material within light-hearted comedy programming, but it does not have unlimited
licence in terms of offensive material.

In this case, Ofcom considered firstly whether the use of the word ?slope? was
offensive (and the degree of any offensiveness) and, if so, secondly, whether the

BBC had ensured that it had applied generally accepted standards by justifying the
inclusion of that material by the context of the programme.

Ofcom?s view is that the word ?slope? is a pejorative racial term which has the
potential to be offensive to Asian people specifically, as well as to viewers more
generally. In its representations the BBC explained that the programme-makers were
aware that the word was ?used to refer to people of Asian origin? but they considered
?such use was mere slang?. Further they argued that the programme-makers were
not aware it had the potential to cause offence ?outside the UK? and had they been
aware of this offence it would not have been used.
Ofcom acknowledges that ?slope? is a term of offence more widely used in America
and Australia. However it is also capable of causing offence in the UK particularly to
people of Asian origin. Further, Ofcom research
has indicated that viewers are likely
to consider a word to be more offensive if they understand it to be making a
derogatory reference to specific characteristics of a defined ethnic group.
Ofcom therefore considered whether the broadcast of this offensive word was
justified by the context. Top Gear is widely known for its irreverent style and
sometimes outspoken humour, as well as the banter between the three presenters.

We also noted that regular viewers of Top Gear were likely to be aware that the
programme had previously used national stereotypes as a comedic trope, particularly
to describe the characteristics of cars. Various nationalities have, at some point,
been the subject of the presenters? mockery during the history of this long running
programme. The regular audience for this programme adjusts its expectations
accordingly.

In our view, however, in this case Jeremy Clarkson deliberately employed the
offensive word to refer to the Asian person crossing the bridge as well as the camber
of the bridge. Ofcom noted that this sequence was scripted in advance, and that
clear consideration was given at the time of production to using the term ?slope? to
formulate what the production team intended to be humorous word play around it.
There was clearly an opportunity both during filming and post-production to research
the word and reach a more considered view on whether it was ?mere slang? and had
the potential to cause offence to viewers.

We took into account that the BBC said the programme makers intended the use of
?slope? to be ?an inoffensive, humorous play on words?, but that the broadcaster
accepted now that the word was capable of causing offence in the UK and
apologised. We noted that the BBC provided no other arguments to justify the
potential offence in the context.

Ofcom concluded, however, that in the circumstances of this particular case there
was insufficient context to justify the broadcast of this material. The BBC did not
apply generally accepted standards so as to provide adequate protection for
members of the public from offensive material. As a result there was a breach of Rule
Breach of Rule 2.3
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/broadcast-bulletins/obb259/

Top Gear?s Jeremy Clarkson ?deliberately used offensive racial term?
Ofcom says BBC breached broadcasting rules when it allowed presenter to use word ?slope? about Asian man in Burma special
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/28/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-racial-term-ofcom-bbc

Jeremy Clarkson's 'slope' joke on Top Gear was deliberate use of racist term, Ofcom rules
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...eliberate-use-of-racist-term-Ofcom-rules.html

Top Gear Burma episode breached Ofcom rules over Jeremy Clarkson's racial slur
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ver-jeremy-clarksons-racial-slur-9633057.html

- - - Updated - - -

Why couldn't they have edited out man on the bridge? :(

Last edited:
Okay, unless I blinked or I'm just not remembering properly, they didn't even show the face of the person walking across the bridge, did they? When this whole load of BS got started, why didn't they just say it was a member of the crew walking on the bridge? I'll have to go back and re-watch, but I swear I don't remember seeing the person's face. How could anyone say for certain who it was?

Okay, unless I blinked or I'm just not remembering properly, they didn't even show the face of the person walking across the bridge, did they? When this whole load of BS got started, why didn't they just say it was a member of the crew walking on the bridge? I'll have to go back and re-watch, but I swear I don't remember seeing the person's face. How could anyone say for certain who it was?

Exactly!

Trendy lefties (aka BBC Middle Management) will use any excuse to 'get rid' of this programme. It matters not to them that it is probably the most popular BBC show across the world and pulls in loads of cash - they just want it gone because it does not fit with their view of the world order.

This (Slope is NOT a derogatory term in the UK and, probably, passed nearly everyone by here) and the N-word row are just two examples. What has actually saved them IS their popularity because senior management defeat the Middle Management layer of lefties but one day the lefties will be running the place. ...

This is just more evidence that the show is becoming has become tired. The edginess has always been there, but then we had the Mexican BS, and now we have this. Along the way, someone, who likely had something to do with the show at some point, leaked the eeny meeny thing to the press.

If they can't breath some new life into it without injecting questionable and sketchy content, it will meet its end.

It has been said that Clarkson does most of the writing, and that may be true, however, it's time to get some new blood in there. Clarkson could still lead from the front with the writing, but they will definitely need to get some new people and scrap this garbage that we've all become much too familiar with. India special, anyone? Episode 1 of Series 21???

New people, new ideas. If that doesn't work, gently let it fade with the kind of quality material we get glimpses of now and then. Top Gear has had a good run, there is no reason to scuttle it at the end.

The presenters are signed to do this for another three years. Given it's still hugely popular globally, it's not going to end anytime soon, not to mention 90-something percent of its viewership isn't like those who post here. By that I mean, they just want to be entertained. They don't give a shit that they've been on a roller coaster in regards to quality (at least IMO) for the last several years. They don't care about the lack of consistently good car-centric content. Or of the lack of balance between car stuff and cocking about. Or that the show treats them like they're naive and ignorant. That segment of the viewership will still watch, religiously.

That said, if TG can stop with the questionable content, ditch the contrived bullshit, bring some goddamn balance back to proceedings, start treating its viewers like they're intelligent and know what's up, it may improve. (And they may gain me back as a viewer.)

Geez, I'm starting to sound like Austere. Only with less ad hominem attacks et al.

It wasn't until I re-watched it after this "slope" drama came out that I realised it wasn't James May walking over the bridge.

The bridge did have a slope.

Dunno, I "got" the reference/joke at the time they mentioned the "slope". I thought it was a bit far. I found the mis-direction humour amusing but I know "slope" is beyond the line of what you should say.
I think it was just nativity on their part, they're kinda morons. But not everyone involved at every stage of production is. Someone would have pointed out you shouldn't say it at some point and edited it. That kind of thing's on Wilman, really. You'd hope he's not as much of a moron as the presenters. Just naive in this case I guess.

What the fuck is wrong with people?
Why is everyone and everything offended by every little silly thing these days?

Man the fuck up and stop see racism in everything.

^it was meant as a racist joke, you can't deny that!

but they should learn to see the difference between someone trying to be funny, and someone trying to insult someone

I think I should state that I didn't hate the 1st episode of series 21. It seemed like it was targeted at the 5-12 audience, which was okay. The India Special wasn't okay at all, but I've beaten that dead horse enough.

Maybe everyone reviewing the episode in question have cats and picked up toxoplasmosis, which inhibited their ability to determine what was or was not acceptable for broadcast.*

*completely contrived conspiracy theory.

That segment was unnecessary and should have been cut since it didn't add anything to the show anyway. However, the Ofcom report says they received two complaints. Two? Who cares.

I think I should state that I didn't hate the 1st episode of series 21. It seemed like it was targeted at the 5-12 audience, which was okay. The India Special wasn't okay at all, but I've beaten that dead horse enough.

Eh. No. S21E01 was a pile of shit.

Eh. No. S21E01 was a pile of shit.

You rated it 5, and it's a pile of shit? What does Top Gear need to do to deserve your 1s? Broadcast graphic decapitation of black people while shouting DOWN WITH THE SLAVES for an hour?

Anyway, this is complete hogwash. It was a joke. People can't take a joke anymore?

This is just more evidence that the show is becoming has become tired. The edginess has always been there, but then we had the Mexican BS, and now we have this. Along the way, someone, who likely had something to do with the show at some point, leaked the eeny meeny thing to the press.

If they can't breath some new life into it without injecting questionable and sketchy content, it will meet its end.

It has been said that Clarkson does most of the writing, and that may be true, however, it's time to get some new blood in there. Clarkson could still lead from the front with the writing, but they will definitely need to get some new people and scrap this garbage that we've all become much too familiar with. India special, anyone? Episode 1 of Series 21???

New people, new ideas. If that doesn't work, gently let it fade with the kind of quality material we get glimpses of now and then. Top Gear has had a good run, there is no reason to scuttle it at the end.

Why do you still watch it? I mean honestly. Do you have some hope it is going to change in a direction to your liking? If that is your hope I can pretty much guarantee you will continue to be disappointed if you keep watching. When a show starts disappointing me, I find something else to watch. I think the time has come for you to start watching something else.

For me, I still enjoy it. I think I was disappointed by one show in 21 series. I can live with that, but then while I enjoy car reviews. it is just filler for me to look at cars I will probably never even see much less drive or even less likely to own. The fact the cars exist means nothing to me. I would rather see them building a bridge over the river Kok, so the direction the show has taken is just fine with me. I watch it for what it is and don't analyse every move they make. And I welcome 3 more years of really anything they want to give me. I am sorry you and many like you are being disappointed, but it happens. Why you would be calling for it to be ended is just beyond me. If it was not living up to my liking, I would not want it to end, because people may still be enjoying it. You keep saying it is dying, but that is your opinion not mine. Why do you think your opinion should carry more weight than mine?

I am not arguing, I just don't understand your stand. There are tons of shows I hate that I see and hear people talking about constantly. I just sort of roll my eyes and move on. I live in Duck Dynasty country. My mom used to sell their duck calls at her sporting goods store. I have seen 3 of their shows, and I just don't get it. Every store I go in has Duck Dynasty on EVERYTHING. Shirts, hats, Christmas cards, get well cards, chocolates, underwear. And I see people wearing that stuff every where I go. If that is what they like to watch, so be it, but it will never be playing at my house. And if I go to your house and you are watching it, I will go back home but I don't want the show cancelled. I sure would not care if it was though.

You read your own thoughts into my statement. It is more than likely a mistake to engage you, but here goes nothing.

In today's world, any show that goes beyond the bounds of what is considered "okay" risks being canceled.

Top Gear has always had controversial, oftentimes insulting (to one group or another) content. There are a slew of shows that have been canceled because they thought it acceptable to broadcast a racist comment. Top Gear has now broadcast a racist comment once, and had a clip of a racist comment leaked once.

Here is a definition of the word "scuttle" - to cut a hole through the bottom, deck, or side of (a ship); specifically : to sink or attempt to sink by making holes through the bottom

If you want three more years of Top Gear, you should be hoping that they can keep themselves from going the way of Don Imus,

Yeah, that is true, many shows get cancelled cos they offend someone. You know what else is true? We are in the most "offensible" age ever. Whatever you do, someone will be genuinely offended, and three times as many people will be offended just to get attention. In these terms, it's impossible to make a show. Take Game of Thrones for example. You don't think there are millions of people out there who would oppose the nudity and gore of the show?

I agree with skylock and I said it many times cos there's always a person like you in every single thread of every episode. If you hate the way the show went, why don't you stop watching? Most episode discussion threads end up right here in this same argument, and you know what? I've stopped reading them. Very simple process.

Last edited:
This Ofcom ruling means very little IMO - they have a set of 'Broadcast Standards' which a programme can breach even without any complaints against it being filed - which to me seems totally senseless. Their ruling was as much if not more against the BBC itself for not taking out the scene during its Compliance procedures - another fact that to me seems to indicate that 99% of the people watching didn't know the offensive meaning of the word - despite Ofcom thinking otherwise - hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As to Top Gear being shit these days - I pretty well enjoyed all of S21. They are never going to hit the spot with every segment in every episode...but at least they keep trying...and if any of you have any ideas on things they can do that's different they appear to be game to listen. I was skimming through Clarkson's 'TopGear Years' last night and came across the article he wrote in 2007 at the end of S9 asking for viewers to tell them what they wanted from the series.(Due to the truncated series they had to edit out most of the car reviews and use the expensive films and 3 headers). They had been seriously suprised by the uplift in viewing numbers when people realised that it WASN'T a stuffy car show. It has now been in this mixed format for longer than its pre-accident format so to expect it to change back to that just isn't going to happen. Whatever any of you might feel any programme still getting 7m viewers after 12 years IS a success. Celebrate it, because when it finally ends it will mark the point when the BBC lets its diversity/inclusive/lets-not-offend-anyone-anytime regime finally win.

As to Top Gear being shit these days - I pretty well enjoyed all of S21. They are never going to hit the spot with every segment in every episode...but at least they keep trying...and if any of you have any ideas on things they can do that's different they appear to be game to listen. I was skimming through Clarkson's 'TopGear Years' last night and came across the article he wrote in 2007 at the end of S9 asking for viewers to tell them what they wanted from the series.(Due to the truncated series they had to edit out most of the car reviews and use the expensive films and 3 headers). They had been seriously suprised by the uplift in viewing numbers when people realised that it WASN'T a stuffy car show. It has now been in this mixed format for longer than its pre-accident format so to expect it to change back to that just isn't going to happen. Whatever any of you might feel any programme still getting 7m viewers after 12 years IS a success. Celebrate it, because when it finally ends it will mark the point when the BBC lets its diversity/inclusive/lets-not-offend-anyone-anytime regime finally win.

Well said. Agreed.

You read your own thoughts into my statement. It is more than likely a mistake to engage you, but here goes nothing.

In today's world, any show that goes beyond the bounds of what is considered "okay" risks being canceled.

Top Gear has always had controversial, oftentimes insulting (to one group or another) content. There are a slew of shows that have been canceled because they thought it acceptable to broadcast a racist comment. Top Gear has now broadcast a racist comment once, and had a clip of a racist comment leaked once.

Here is a definition of the word "scuttle" - to cut a hole through the bottom, deck, or side of (a ship); specifically : to sink or attempt to sink by making holes through the bottom

If you want three more years of Top Gear, you should be hoping that they can keep themselves from going the way of Don Imus,

No, I don't think I did misunderstand what you wrote, but you in no way answered my question so I will spell it out more clearly.

Why do you continue to watch a show that is clearly disappointing you and why do you keep calling for it to be cancelled?

If you don't like it, stop annoying yourself and just avoid it from now on.

For the past what? 3 years at least every post from you is it has hit bottom it is going down the toilet, it is time to cancel it now, you give every show a poor rating. I guess I am trying to figure out why someone keeps watching and writing about a show they clearly no longer like and it happened to be you whose post I was on when I had the time to type out my questions. I am hoping you can shed some light on what your thinking is. I really want to know, because I have seen it with other shows/things.