Top Gear Cinematography Question

[quote="bbc.co.uk/topgear/ ...You've picked a terrible example there, because about 9 million episodes of Lost started with a close up of someones eye.

Did you fit about that too?[/quote]

I don't actually follow Lost per se, but presuming this isn't part of the opening sequence then yes, sadly I think I would have a fit about it too.

Although not entirely sure though... Every single episode of TG has a scene where the car passes the camera etc. and this doesn't bother me at all, even though the scene is basically the same every single time. I am by no means claiming that my dislikes make any sence, it's just how I feel.

And about the troopers "meow" it was just one scene (funny) + it's a movie. repetition in a movie doesn't really work in the same way as in a series... (my opinion only)

MasterEvilAce said:
...because old movies do this sometimes.. sort of like old cowboy movies they have the rolling twig balls (i forget the name at the moment)...

Tumbleweeds. Naitive to the American Southwest, but also exist in the Midwest plains (Nebraska, Oklahoma, Kanasa, Missouri).

[I think they should put some dogshit in the next one...] :lol:

Maybe the object in question says something about the car. Or maybe, it really is a big inside joke. I don't mind either way...

Thanks, glad to be here.

It helps the composition, that's why.

The object is always placed in one of the key positions in the shot.

Ok, here's another cinematography question - one mroe in the vein of "how the hell did they do that?"

Back in episode 03x03, Jeremy tests the Saab 9-5. In the segment after Stig's lap in it, and Jeremy goes back out in the car to figure out why people like it so much, there are a number of wide angle, distant shots where it looks like the ceiling of clouds is raising as the car drives by.

Anyone have any idea how they got this effect? I'm a cinematographer and I can't even figure it out. And as skilled as the video crew is who produces those segments, i've rarely seen them lean on any kind of effects heavy shot, unless its for a gag (like blowing up the Lotus Exige).

watisdis said:
[I think they should put some dogshit in the next one...] :lol:

Sure I've seen that one already some time? ;)

Wintermute said:
Ok, here's another cinematography question - one mroe in the vein of "how the hell did they do that?"

Back in episode 03x03, Jeremy tests the Saab 9-5. In the segment after Stig's lap in it, and Jeremy goes back out in the car to figure out why people like it so much, there are a number of wide angle, distant shots where it looks like the ceiling of clouds is raising as the car drives by.

Anyone have any idea how they got this effect? I'm a cinematographer and I can't even figure it out. And as skilled as the video crew is who produces those segments, i've rarely seen them lean on any kind of effects heavy shot, unless its for a gag (like blowing up the Lotus Exige).

I noticed this awesome effect also. :eek:
:shock:
ANybody got a clue?

Seems like there's a crane being used for the sky half of the screen and the horizon being the cut point for the video - if that makes sense. The sky also appears to have been time-lapsed in several parts, so probably here too to add to the effect. Either this or a clever time-lapse of the clouds coming towards the camera to give the impression of them rising, but the crane seems to be an easier explanation to me. You're probably the best to ask as to whether this seems feasible, I'm still studying :)

Overheat said:
Seems like there's a crane being used for the sky half of the screen and the horizon being the cut point for the video - if that makes sense. The sky also appears to have been time-lapsed in several parts, so probably here too to add to the effect. Either this or a clever time-lapse of the clouds coming towards the camera to give the impression of them rising, but the crane seems to be an easier explanation to me. You're probably the best to ask as to whether this seems feasible, I'm still studying :)

That actually seems the most feasable, coming from the standpoint of doing a lot of thi sort of stuff professionally. it just has seemed to me that the ethos of the Top gear crew is one of pretty minimal special effects. Seems to me they're much happier doing silly stuff with mirrors and filters and clever camera work than some guy grinding out the hours in photoshop and aftereffects.

I don't know if I'd call those effects silly as much as I'd say they're cool and kind of a dying art, especially seeing how so many people nowadays take the lazy way out with CGI and shit like that (damn kids get off my lawn).

PeteJayhawk said:
I don't know if I'd call those effects silly as much as I'd say they're cool and kind of a dying art, especially seeing how so many people nowadays take the lazy way out with CGI and shit like that (damn kids get off my lawn).
Oh, Absolutely.

I called it silly because it looks like they have a lot of fun doing it. But really, its a huge time savor in this sort of stuff to get all of your effects in the camera, and it looks a lot better too, because it has a more "hand crafted" look to it.

just like in still photography you need to add certain elements in the shot to create a sense of balance.

Actually, I think it may have to do with the lens, and field of view.

If you use a zoom lens, zoomed all the way out, but up close, and then back away and zoom in at the same speed, it can cause some cool effects.

~nj?

NecroJoe said:
Actually, I think it may have to do with the lens, and field of view.

If you use a zoom lens, zoomed all the way out, but up close, and then back away and zoom in at the same speed, it can cause some cool effects.

~nj?

they've used that effect a couple times on the show. the one i can remember is a shot they did of paddy hopkoeck's mini on project restoration rip off.