USB Flash Drive Read Problems

avidvideo

Car(s)
2012 VW Passat VR6
Hey all,

I'm having a problem with my USB flash drive. It's an 8GB Transcend which I bought new a little over a year ago. I plug it in and while the computer recognizes it and assigns it a drive letter, when I double-click on it from the My Computer window to access it the computer tells me to insert a disk. I right-click on it, go to Properties and I get this:

http://img166.imageshack.**/img166/2132/diskspacedy5.jpg

I've even tried formatting it but it doesn't seem to believe there's anything there to format. I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the drive itself since I've tried it on three different WinXP computers and an old 98SE computer (which had the appropriate drivers already installed) and I've gotten essentially the same errors on all of them.

Is it salvageable? I only use it to run Firefox and a couple of other portable apps as well as store some of my MP3s. There's nothing on there that I can't afford to lose. I'd rather not go to the expense of getting a new drive if I can help it but if this one is toast then I guess I don't have much choice.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated! Cheers!

(PS. I tried finding threads on this subject in both the Technology and Problems forums with no luck. I apologize if this is a repost.)

i dont know but, do they have some firmware or sort of programmable thingy?

look over it, maybe u can re-program it or update its firmware. I dont know, correct me if I'm wrong.

if it is in the warranty.. try that then first.

If you know how to use command line, try FAT32 Format. And see if you can format the drive. I don't remember if flash drives can be formatted to FAT32, but I don't know why they wouldn't be able to.

The page I linked to has all the info you need to use it.

You can format the drive to whatever you want even XFS if there is enough room for the partition table AFAIK. I hate to say it but I think that thing is dead, I've had a few dead flash drives in my time and unfortunately the symptoms fit. Check www.newegg.com, www.jr.com and www.buy.com they have some nice deals. I got a 2 gig for $20 from buy.com

from what I see the computer can't detect the drive properly, and therefore has it as empty

I'm fairly sure your USB drive is fuckered...

If you know how to use command line, try FAT32 Format. And see if you can format the drive. I don't remember if flash drives can be formatted to FAT32, but I don't know why they wouldn't be able to.

I tried following the directions at the link you gave me and unfortunately my computer gave me this message:

http://img376.imageshack.**/img376/1636/failedformatqe3.jpg

When I clicked through to find the recovery software for my particular drive, I repeatedly ended up getting this:

http://img368.imageshack.**/img368/2452/recoverysoftwarege7.jpg

I don't know what language that is but I do know that the two active links on the page weren't useful. It did inspire me though to find some third-party recovery software, but nothing I found would recognize the drive, which seems to be at the heart of the problem.

I really do appreciate the tips from everyone but I'm not sure this thing can be saved. I guess I'll just have to break down and get a new one. Thanks again for taking the time and effort to try and help.

Finalgear members FTW!

(DOA flash drives FTL)

From the "failed to get device geometry" I'm betting the drive is shot.

The good news, many companies give at least a few years warranty on usb drives... Transcend seems to give at minimum 2 years. (depending on the drive, it could be lifetime). I would just send it to them and have it replaced.

Edit: Whoops, almost forgot the url. http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/Warranty.asp - I would assume the same warranty applies in Canada as in USA.

Transcend Warranty Policy said:
This warranty is valid for a specific period from the date of purchase. Proof of date of purchase is required.

Now I just need to find my receipt... :think:

Now I just need to find my receipt... :think:

You could perhaps just call and say you lost it, seeing that it's an 8gb you must have bought it while the product was fairly new. There's a chance that all the 8gb drives still fall under warrantee; say (for example) they started selling them 2 years ago and there's a 3 year warrantee.

When all else fails you could buy another one I guess and use that receipt. AFAIK an individual serial number isn't printed on them.

I tried following the directions at the link you gave me and unfortunately my computer gave me this message:

http://img376.imageshack.**/img376/1636/failedformatqe3.jpg

<snip>

Hrm, well I have never seen that before......
The only thing you might want to do before sending it in under warranty or buying another one, is test it on another computer, preferably on a different OS.

Hrm, well I have never seen that before......
The only thing you might want to do before sending it in under warranty or buying another one, is test it on another computer, preferably on a different OS.

I'm inclined to believe it's a problem with the drive itself since I've tried it on three different WinXP computers and an old 98SE computer (which had the appropriate drivers already installed) and I've gotten essentially the same errors on all of them.