Used car preferably something I can mod

Its funny, because at times, when vtec kicks in, it feels like that.

"20, 30, bamvtec, 50. I sometimes find myself gripping the steering wheel more when there is the slight extra surge. Sure, it would be much more convenient to have continuous power flow, but the kick is part of the fun.

/stupid hondacura driver back into hole.

To the WRX under budget thing:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1203178522.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1202337706.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1200607892.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1197445226.html
already modified one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1194394822.html
and so on. look on craigslist.

If only I was smart enough to look at used cars when I got mine....but then again, my car is very unassuming, generic, and doesn't attract attention (the bad kind at least)

I stand by the old saying

"Vtec, all the lag, none of the boost" :rofl:

What other swaps could I do for under or around 15k?

LS1 in an RX7. Find an FD with a blown motor and right about 15k will be where you end up, go with an FC and you get wicked awesome 80's styling, the awesome drift-o reputation of Ry?suke Takahashi (instant street cred right there!), and the wonders of 350lbs-ft of torque to rear suspension never designed for drag racing (so lots of wheel hop). In the end you'll look like you could show up to car meets and actually look like you knew something about cars and didn't have to ask an internet forum to help you find a car that'll get you into the crowd.

/I await my neg rep.

Last edited:
I'm about to head off for some good ol navy training but what if i was looking to drag race what swaps would i be looking for.... just a thought. What would I be looking at if i wanted to do both?

I like the idea of having a tuner with a roar to it lol

Last edited:
You say you don't want a civic, but you want to do a swap with a tuner, how exactly are you expecting to afford a swap in anything other than a civic for under $15K. I mean, sure, you could try a Prelude, but still...if it is a swap you want, unexpected stuff will show up and cost you money. Just look for a normal car without swapping.

Get a Volvo 850 Turbo - rebuild the engine completely, use S60R intake manifold, high flow injectors, slightly bigger turbo and you'll have a 450hp FWD car. Fun, right?

Since when a 450HP FWD car is fun? Scary maybe...fun NO!

Allow me to introduce you to something we call "FinalGear Sarcasm" :)

Although, those Volvos are pretty fast in a straight line.

You want an LS2 GTO or LS6 CTS-V

Go drive one, you'll love it.

great....another 'modder' looking for something to compleetly destroy.....

please don't buy anything intresting.....leave those for people who actualy like their cars and don't wanna glue stuff onto it....

You could get a beat up old Volvo, then shove a SBC in it.

that's a pretty good sleeper if you ask me.

But I still say LS2 GTO.

I'd be aroused by a LS1 powered S2k. :blink: Infact i'm thinking about putting an LS1 into my pintara.

Would be cool but that would bastardize the S2K even more than the 2JZ swap...at least a 2JZ would be keeping it all from the same country. :)

In all seriousness...Anything as light and nimble as a S2K or FD3S would rip with a lightly modded LSX in it.

I love rotaries but I would never want to own the motor even though I have all the respect in the world for it. Swapped Rex's just make so much sense.

As for the OP, not gonna have very much luck do many swaps on that kind of budget unless you own your own shop and do all of your own work and custom parts. From the sounds of it, I would stick to a tuner friendly car that has a large market and tons of available information. Single turbo 4 bangers would be optimal IMO...usually very easy to work on, parts are usually cheaper, larger tuner crowd. (Example: One turbo, injectors, manifold, etc. All is a lot cheaper to do for 1 bank of cylinders and less cylinders.
If you want all out performance, EVOVII, WRX....

A B6 A4 could be had for ~$15k i believe with the 2.0T. You can get good power out of those and could be made very fun to drive, trackable, and still very capable of Daily Driving...

Last edited:
Would be cool but that would bastardize the S2K even more than the 2JZ swap...at least a 2JZ would be keeping it all from the same country. :)

In all seriousness...Anything as light and nimble as a S2K or FD3S would rip with a lightly modded LSX in it.

I love rotaries but I would never want to own the motor even though I have all the respect in the world for it. Swapped Rex's just make so much sense.

I find it funny that you are more ok with a swapped rotary car (which most people that care about that cry bloody murder) but sound almost offended by swapping another car with a no torque motor.

The 2jz swap in an S2k IMO was/is fucking retarded on account of it completely destroying any balance engineered into the chassis. At least with an LSx you can try and keep the weight down and pushed back in the chassis.

As for the OP, not gonna have very much luck do many swaps on that kind of budget unless you own your own shop and do all of your own work and custom parts. From the sounds of it, I would stick to a tuner friendly car that has a large market and tons of available information. Single turbo 4 bangers would be optimal IMO...usually very easy to work on, parts are usually cheaper, larger tuner crowd.
If you want all out performance, EVOVII, WRX....

A B6 A4 could be had for ~$15k i believe with the 2.0T. You can get good power out of those and could be made very fun to drive, trackable, and still very capable of Daily Driving...

Swaps are possible for that much, or less without a shop. A friend of mine built an LS1 FC over the period of a couple of years with not much more than basic sets of tools, research and a 1 car garage in an apartment complex that refused to let him work on his car after 10pm. Short of having it repainted he's got less than 12k in it and it's 356whp+6speed and the interior has been fully converted to a non cracked dash and all black.

You'd be amazed at the number of "kits" sold to swap various motors into various cars. The FC/FD's seem to suck them up with little fight.

I find it funny that you are more ok with a swapped rotary car (which most people that care about that cry bloody murder) but sound almost offended by swapping another car with a no torque motor.
My comment was merely a joke as you can tell by the following comment that states "In all seriousness...". I have no personal preference of what swaps people do as long as they get it running properly, more props to them. Different strokes for different folks...Some people love certain motors and certain cars. If they want to put a motor in a car that makes little to no sense, more power to them. I am a big fan of the 2JZ and a big fan of the S2k. Combining the 2 makes sense for me and thank goodness for me, there is nobody's opinion on the internet that would stop from pairing the two if I chose to.
The 2jz swap in an S2k IMO was/is fucking retarded on account of it completely destroying any balance engineered into the chassis. At least with an LSx you can try and keep the weight down and pushed back in the chassis.

:shrugs: If I was trying to build the most perfectly balanced car, I most definitely wouldn't be talking about spending $30k on a swapped S2K or RX7, when I could pick up a Lotus, Porsche 911 Turbo, and other cars of this sort. To say a 2JZ swap is retarded because it isn't what you would want in a car is fucking retarded in MY opinion. Some people aren't always looking for the same things you want in a car. A lot of people have given opinions of cars to the OP in this very thread that make no sense to me but I don't think their idea is retarded because they obviously have different wants out of their car than I do.

Swaps are possible for that much, or less without a shop. A friend of mine built an LS1 FC over the period of a couple of years with not much more than basic sets of tools, research and a 1 car garage in an apartment complex that refused to let him work on his car after 10pm. Short of having it repainted he's got less than 12k in it and it's 356whp+6speed and the interior has been fully converted to a non cracked dash and all black.

Yep...I could name many other swaps too that can be done for $15k BUT the OP doesn't seem too interested in a 15+ year old car nor the work and involvement that goes into building one properly or the issues that come up. Could buy a Z32 300zx NA for $3-$4k and have it pumping out 600rwhp+ for $15k but it just didn't seem practical to recommend in this particular situation when the OP is considering RSX Type-S's and such.

Last edited:
Buy 1995 SC400
perform V160 swap (thats the MKIV supra 6 speed incase you didn't know)
Supercharge 1UZ-FE with a Whipple Twinscrew....

enjoy hilariously fast luxury coupe with room for 4

Well It's not that I'm set on getting a swap.... I'm just looking at all possibilities. =/

EDIT: Sorry about all the questions, this is not the case but what if I wanted something for under 10 what would you guys suggest. xD You guys dont have to answer if you don't want I know I might be a nuisance.

Last edited:
Well It's not that I'm set on getting a swap.... I'm just looking at all possibilities. =/

Do you want a serious capable track car or do you want a fun street car that can be taken to the track and thrashed around without falling apart? After the initial $15k is spent are you want something that you can modify moderately (as in throw on an intake here, exhaust there, chip in a couple months OR do you want to spend a large sum of money and then drop $5k here and another $6k here and then $4k more here?

$15k can go a lot of different ways with a ton of different cars. Would you be interested in buying a $2k late 80's heap and just insanely building the motor and suspension and just have a car that will serve well on a track but more than likely you will have to throw quite a bit of money into it just to keep it on the road? Or more interested in a newer car that can be fun to moderately modify but still fun and still be able to take a girl on a nice night out without having to explain that your car is really worth quite a bit of money but she will have to forgive you for making her sit on an milk crate?

I love all these Frankenstein creations people are suggesting....

Cmon lets be realistic.

B6 is a 1.8T and they can be had for like 8K (that's what my car is currently worth). I suspect you'd be able to pick up an early B7 with the 2.0T for $15K. Spend another $500 on APR Stage 1 and enjoy 60HP bump :)

Or if you want to go crazy you can save up $8K more and get a turbo kit that AWE sells that's good for 377HP :p

Last edited:
Do you want a serious capable track car or do you want a fun street car that can be taken to the track and thrashed around without falling apart? After the initial $15k is spent are you want something that you can modify moderately (as in throw on an intake here, exhaust there, chip in a couple months
Or more interested in a newer car that can be fun to moderately modify but still fun and still be able to take a girl on a nice night out without having to explain that your car is really worth quite a bit of money but she will have to forgive you for making her sit on an milk crate?

I deleted a couple of things to show what I'm looking for but thats about it ^^ uumm about the street thing something that can possible go from track to street racing? Not sure exactly what i want to do :rolleyes:

B6 is a 1.8T and they can be had for like 8K (that's what my car is currently worth). I suspect you'd be able to pick up an early B7 with the 2.0T for $15K. Spend another $500 on APR Stage 1 and enjoy 60HP bump :)

Or if you want to go crazy you can save up $8K more and get a turbo kit that AWE sells that's good for 377HP :p

Thanks for the correction. Thought the 2.0T started in the B6 gen. But yeah, either way...A4's can be had cheap and take well to modifying. B7 A4 for under $15k with another $5k sunk into it would be a bargain for a Daily Driver.

I almost sold my B5 S4 for a B6 A4 when I saw how much they were costing + Modifying them is a lot cheaper and more reliable.