Which Car should I buy??? (Should be a bit Luxurious/Sporty)

Which Car should I buy??? (Should be a bit Luxurious/Sporty)

• 1999 Lexus IS200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1998 BMW318i

• 1998 BMW323i

• 2004 Mazda 3 Maxx

• 2004 Mazda 3 SP23

• 2000 VW Golf GLE

• 2000 VW Golf Gti

• 2003 Subaru Impreza RS

• 2003 Subaru Impreza GX

• 2003 Corolla Sportivo

• Total voters
For that money I'll better keep saving for better car. But its just me... :)

Jesus 4 posts in a row!

My vote is the Lexus...they last forever and are good cars

haz said:
haha604 (btw, please expain me that nick in the "what does your nick mean-thread :lol: )

When I was starting to lurk around forums, I replied mostly to fuuny threads or jokes with comments like haha or lol because I was a lazy ass :lol:

The 604 part is just the area code of my hometown, Vancouver.

My nick makes perfect sense to me :p

tom_kauf said:
haha604 said:
My vote goes to the Lexus, even though I have a Mazda3 myself.
The 2 litre inline 6 may lack a bit of high end punch but its velvety smooth and good on gas.
That's true, (about the lack of punch). It's always the only negative thing you hear about the IS200, because the handling is great. Are you happy with your Mazda haha604? I've driven in a Mazda 3 (unlinke ALL the other cars in the list), and they are really nice.

Overall, I am happy with my Mazda. The car's only problem has been a squeaking noise from the brakes whenever I reverse out of my garage on a cold morning, but it goes away as soon as I drive off. The 2.3L engine is smooth and decently powerful, and fuel economy is not too bad, though it is not great by economy car standards. What I like most about the car is its relatively stiff suspension, since I prefer to feel the road (up to a certain degree) in my car.

My only other complaint about the car is that the stock Goodyear Eagle RS/A tires don't have any sort of decent grip on snow. If it snows a lot in your area you will need to purchase another set of tires.

tom_kauf said:
haz said:
The 1999 Lexus IS200 is my choice ..... nice engine sound too :)
I'm a BIG Lexus fan, so it's good to hear at least some people voting for it. Engine Noise?....cool, I didn't know, but that's because I mainly see business-men and retired people drive Lexus in Australia, so they NEVER give it enough gas to hear the engine properly. :sleeping:. Most lexus drivers are boring..... but I won't be. Thanks haz

If you decide on the Lexus and want a little more poke, try to find one imported from Japan, with the 4-Cylinder 3SGE VVTi 210 Bhp.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/partsfiles/gxe10.htm

yea... the Japspec Altezza's are alot better than the Eurospec ones... if you're lucky, you might even find a manual one :D

btw, just noticed that the 3-liter Altezza has the same engine code as the Supra... 2JZ ... and I never knew the RS200 Altezza is a 4-cyl, always thought it was 6 :lol:

andyhui01 said:
yea... the Japspec Altezza's are alot better than the Eurospec ones... if you're lucky, you might even find a manual one :D

btw, just noticed that the 3-liter Altezza has the same engine code as the Supra... 2JZ ... and I never knew the RS200 Altezza is a 4-cyl, always thought it was 6 :lol:

Some were imported to the UK. If only there were some LHD RS200s... The compressor you can fit in the IS200 is good, but a good high-revving NA would be better. :p

tom_kauf said:
hmmm, Saab. I like 'em, but I'll have to check what they're going for......... :shock: WOW, look at that, I can get a 1998 9-3 for Australian$13,000, and a 2001 9-3 Aero for Australian$27,000 (that's what a good 1998 323i is). It looks like we have another one added to the list, thanks heaps Raven18940. p.s. i'd usually do some currency conversions for all the us/european readers, but not this morning, so you'll just have to do it youself :p.
You could get a 99 9-3 Viggen/Aero/what-ever-they-call-it-down-under and I guarntee it will haul balls. Basically it's the engine out of my car, in a car that weighs 400 lbs less.

It only hauls balls in a straight, and just burns rubber in turns.

The mazda 3 is the next gen focus chassis, so it's not a bad place to be. The original focus is a better handler in my opinion, but the new focus has much nicer interior quality.

The subaru RS isn't a bad car, and can be a bit of fun. They're a 2.5L non-turbo lump, aren't they? I think aside from that, they're a WRX. Still, i'd rather have a nimble fwd instead. :)

Cubits said:
They're a 2.5L non-turbo lump, aren't they? I think aside from that, they're a WRX. Still, i'd rather have a nimble fwd instead. :)
Yeah, the GX has a 2L, and the RS a 2.5L non-turbo.

Subaru's are no fun without turbos.. the boxer engine, turbo and 4" exhaust system has to go together :D

Raven18940 said:
You could get a 99 9-3 Viggen/Aero/what-ever-they-call-it-down-under and I guarntee it will haul balls. Basically it's the engine out of my car, in a car that weighs 400 lbs less.
We call them Aeros. There's one 2001 Aero for Aus$27k, that's awesome. Hang on, :shock: I just checked the Redbook website, it's a list of all cars available in Australia. The first 93 was availbale in 99 in an S version (2L non-turbo with 96kw) and an SE (2.3L non-turbo with 110kw). Then at the end of that year (and for 1999), the S got a 2L 113kw Turbo engine. The Viggen was introduced in 99/00 and got 165kw. In 2000, the first Aero got the 113kw engine......damn this is confusing....I can't believe I've never heard of Viggens??? oh well, cool. thanks, I'll check it out.

Cubits said:
It only hauls balls in a straight, and just burns rubber in turns.
Those of us who aren't Jeremy Clarkson don't floor it in the turns. :lol:

Saabs are no slouches in corners, but admittedly there are better cars for hitting the twisties. While they may not have the most grip, they do handle beautifully.

Oh, Raven18940 you have a Saab don't you? I just noticed you 9-5 Aero Signature. Or is that just wishful thinking/dreaming (like my R32 Golf one)? :lol:

I just don't "get" saabs any more. They used to have merit in being whacky and individualistic, but when they got more mainstreamy their entire reason for existance kinda went south.

I do love saabs, but i can't love a modern saab. A turbo volvo does all the same tricks, but is properly volvoey enough.

tom_kauf said:
Raven18940 said:
We call them Aeros. There's one 2001 Aero for Aus$27k, that's awesome. Hang on, :shock: I just checked the Redbook website, it's a list of all cars available in Australia. The first 93 was availbale in 99 in an S version (2L non-turbo with 96kw) and an SE (2.3L non-turbo with 110kw). Then at the end of that year (and for 1999), the S got a 2L 113kw Turbo engine. The Viggen was introduced in 99/00 and got 165kw. In 2000, the first Aero got the 113kw engine......damn this is confusing....I can't believe I've never heard of Viggens??? oh well, cool. thanks, I'll check it out.

I believe Viggens are only of the last generation, not the actual one.

tom_kauf said:
Oh, Raven18940 you have a Saab don't you? I just noticed you 9-5 Aero Signature. Or is that just wishful thinking/dreaming (like my R32 Golf one)? :lol:
Yeah I own one, why would I want a 2001 when I could wish for a 2002 that has 20 more hp. :lol: My idea of wishful thinking is a first gen MR2 with a saab engine in the back. I love my car though, even if it's only FWD and............well that's all I have to complain about really. I suppose if you really want to pick it apart the interior not quite as nice as say an Audi and the handling isn't as good as a BMW. But for a compromise of interior quality, handling, everyday FWD usability, fuel economy, and most importantly price these are great cars. And then there's the mid-range torque :drool: God these things can move. Sure it's only 230 hp, but they forgot to tell the car that, it think's it's a fighter jet.

So saabs for me are BMW bashers, more performance for less money.

Raven18940 said:
And then there's the mid-range torque :drool: God these things can move. Sure it's only 230 hp, but they forgot to tell the car that, it think's it's a fighter jet.
Yeah, absolutely. I've never driven a Saab, but in one Top Gear Episode, Jeremy drives a 9-3 Aero to find out why the Dentists/Accountants love them so much (it's a stereotypical view, but true I guess because my dentist has one). Anyway, just like you said, the interior might not quite as be as good as an Audio, and other features not quite as good as other cars, but as a package it's very good. In the end, the 1 thing he thought was phenomenal was the accelartion in 2nd gear from 40 to 120 (mph) or so because it's quicker than a 911 Turbo. Respect :bow: