Why so anti-US biased?

I don't know what show youve been watching, but they beat up on themselves quite a bit. Sure Clarkson goes on and on about Jaguar and Aston, but if you do even a tiny bit of research you'll see just how much he hated Rover, which he was actually blamed for the demise of by weird people

I don't know what show youve been watching, but they beat up on themselves quite a bit. Sure Clarkson goes on and on about Jaguar and Aston, but if you do even a tiny bit of research you'll see just how much he hated Rover, which he was actually blamed for the demise of by weird people

yeah that was pretty wild lol

i guess it never crossed their minds that the cars they made a) werent too good b) didnt really appeal unless your were a broke pensioner or it had an MG badge on it instead and you were somekind of soft core boy racer.

thats 2 incredibly small markets, both of which ideally would like a car for next to nothing

I was speaking of britain but in america a jaguar might be something like $120,000, a Camaro can be had for $2000. Sure it might not be as good (in my opinion, not enough to justify the price difference), but how often does the average sports car owner in the UK pop down and do a few laps around silverstone? Or does he just take his ubermobile to work and back, and stare at it in the garage? Why spend money on an independent suspension that you will never use? Again refer to my statement of "its better to have a cheap car then dream of an expensive one".

The Camaro's a bit of a gas guzzler for Europe. We have hot hatches for that cheap fun kind of thing. ;)

as has been pointed out numerous times in this thread that they are looking at the car from a euro perspective.

American cars aren't cheap to buy or run in the UK

That's the real reason. They give the audience what they want.

x2 I think it's funny. Sometimes it's true, sometimes it's not. 99% of the time it's funny. If it was Top Gear, USA then Jeremy and company would be poking fun at the Brit's and their cars

Must..resist..urge..to..ridicule..people..posting...here.

Anyway, what is it with this kind of posts? Why are they always started by Americans? Is the earth really round and have we ever been to the moon?

on the gt500 specifically I felt hammond was deliberately more insulting in his 'almost' because a mustang is supposed to be about raw power, it's a muscle car!, it is styled and drives in a awesomely brute force kind of way and for it to fall short of it's rated hp is less than spectacular.

I mean fair enough, if someone tells you a shovel can produce 400hp and it only produces 350, you're not gonna be happy when you've spent thousands of dollars on it! regardless of nationality!

And he also put his favourite mustang on the dyno himself, he was more than willing to put up his own pride 'n' joy to be cut down aswell. imo the nationality wouldn't and shouldn't factor in at all, and only does because the mustang is such an incredibly american car (in a good way!).

but yeah otherwise i'll agree, clarkson/tg doesn't like americans much :p

Ok, let me jump into my own thread again.

I don't mind getting ribbed, America is full of idiots, goofy things, fast food, all the things they make fun of, and other countries have their share of wierdness as well. That doesn't bother me, it's funny.

BUT, this is a car show, and these people know about cars, and it's not really that it was an American car that bothers me, it would bother me if they did something that stupid to any car (like my aforementioned LP640 example). You'd think they were smarter than that, and that they didn't think their audience was that stupid?

Maybe not.

It's not about facts. It's about percieved reality. Whatever the case is the TG presenters want to make, the facts get bent to support their claim. It's comparable to Wikiality. What you think is correct becomes fact.

And that's the whole point of the show.

Last edited:
best course of action for you is to give as good as you get..... throw some banter our way! its easy!

So smart, superior europe's best answer is a 4000 year old failing in human nature, someone ruined your day? Ruin his in return!

I'd rather plead for mercy and fail then take revenge, i like to think that humanity has moved on from such petty ways of living. And even if it hasnt, i'll do my best to lead by example.

Walter Goldsworthy?

Dem's fightin words, Ian! :p

It's not about facts. It's about percieved reality. Whatever the case is the TG presenters want to make, the facts get bend to support their claim. It's comparable to Wikiality. What you think is correct becomes fact.

And that's the whole point of the show.

So true. What really bugs me when, after a particular episode, I read from some American the extent of "Boy, our country really DOES suck". Some just buy into it hook, line and sinker! I must admit I have on occasions, stupidly. But I am naive.

C'mon! The fine people of the United Kingdom are just as patriotic as we are (probably more so), and quick to show the rest of the world that the UK is the center of the Universe! America does not suck, every country has it's high and low points, and as always, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Let them dump on us, if it makes them and their audience feel a sense of National pride, great.

It's not the first time they've skewed the reality to fit their message, either neglected to mention something, or compare two things that arn't directly comparable. It doesn't matter does it, I mean really. It's just how they do it. They don't just do it with american cars, they do it for most.

And as to the "buhu why does TG hate the US" all I can say is no they don't hate you, they hate most of the cars you make and love to make fun of you. Either you try to accept it. Or you stop watching TG. Or you can send angry letters to the BBC complaining here probably doesn't matter.
Watch all the eposides and take a count of the times they ridicule anything and how many times they ridicule something american, and also count how many times the ridiculing is uncalled for (as in when they are clearly are messing up facts to do it).

Has anyone else noticed that no-one else gives a shit, the show wasn't made to cater for Americans so deal with it.
You don't see the germans on here going "OH NOES CLARKSON CALLED ME A NAZI" ever second week

Has anyone else noticed that no-one else gives a shit, the show wasn't made to cater for Americans so deal with it.
You don't see the germans on here going "OH NOES CLARKSON CALLED ME A NAZI" ever second week

They would if he called them a nazi every other week...

This isnt about an overblown reaction to the same treatment that they all get, its about the horrible, personal insults that are thrown at a nation with such ferocity and with a frequency unparalleled on the show. The occasional joke is pleasant and fun (this is what say, Belgium would get once or twice a series), a constant barrage of hurtful attacks is quite another.

So true. What really bugs me when, after a particular episode, I read from some American the extent of "Boy, our country really DOES suck". Some just buy into it hook, line and sinker! I must admit I have on occasions, stupidly. But I am naive.

C'mon! The fine people of the United Kingdom are just as patriotic as we are (probably more so), and quick to show the rest of the world that the UK is the center of the Universe! America does not suck, every country has it's high and low points, and as always, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Let them dump on us, if it makes them and their audience feel a sense of National pride, great.
Oz: "Haven't you changed your clock to French time? You're still on GMT?"
James: "No. Why should I? It's time. We invented it."

:)

Actually he does. And even when he's not refering to the world wars, he portraits us as soulless, remote-controlled zombies. You see, we could react the same way as you do about Clarkson's insults, but I guess we just take it with a bit more humor. ;)

This isnt about an overblown reaction to the same treatment that they all get, its about the horrible, personal insults that are thrown at a nation with such ferocity and with a frequency unparalleled on the show. The occasional joke is pleasant and fun (this is what say, Belgium would get once or twice a series), a constant barrage of hurtful attacks is quite another.

he says far far more stuff about germans than the US

I love it when Americans whinge about other countries taking the piss out of them. It's funny as an outsider to watch :D

I wouldnt buy an American car anyway, they are too bland and boring.

I've said this before, but Top Gear is BRITISH, funded by the BRITISH, shown on the British Broadcasting Corporation for the BRITISH public and it's designed to tell the BRITISH what the cars around in GREAT BRITAIN are like at the present time and for a bit of light entertainment in the process.

We just happen to be lucky enough to watch the greatest show in the world aswell.