Wisdom tooth cracked my molar?

GaryC

Car(s)
'90 Miata, '12 Octavia RS
For the few days I've been having some pain around my molars. Then yesterday, which eating, there was a sharp pain at my lower left molar and I went to rinse my mouth, and now it feels like there's something sharp on the left of my tongue that really causes pain for my tongue when I check and talk.

I brush 2x a day, floss and mouthwash daily. I don't think it's lack of calcium either. Could it be that the wisdom tooth just grew into the molar and caused it to just 'chisel' off? But it's not the molar right next to the wisdom tooth. It's the one after that.

Last edited:
Get to a dentist. You never know what's gone wrong and it's not like the internet can actually help you much with this. In most cases (like mine) it'll just make it easy for you to diagnose yourself with a number of ailments which have no relevance to what's actually going on and cause to worry you. If it hurts and doesn't go away by the morning, go to the dentist.

I would definitely go see your dentist to get it checked and x-rayed asap. It could be a chipped/cracked tooth that may become even more troublesome (root canals/cavities?) if you leave it (doesn't matter how well you clean it, if a crack or hole is there it will get nasty) or it could be an impacted/oddly growing wisdom tooth like you said (which may mean an extraction, but they aren't horrendous as so many people love to claim)

In the meantime, try to find a small mirror and see if you can see the tooth and get an idea of what is going on there. A camera and a torch have also worked for me (I had to take a photo of my top left very back molar the other day to see if I had rotated a bracket thingy or just popped a wire on my braces)

Pain relief- I let Panadol dissolve for about 5 seconds around the teeth and then swallow it. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or anything, but it seems to make pain in my teeth go away quicklyfor me. Don't know if I would be dong it with a potential hole/chip in my tooth though.

Hope it's better soon :)

I see the problem. It's probably just a filled cavity that's popped out. I've booked the dentist for Monday. I'll call around again and see if I can get Friday. There's no pain from the tooth, but just pain because the fillings that came out left a 'hook' shape hole facing backwards, and my tongue rubs against it all the time.

I see the problem. It's probably just a filled cavity that's popped out. I've booked the dentist for Monday. I'll call around again and see if I can get Friday. There's no pain from the tooth, but just pain because the fillings that came out left a 'hook' shape hole facing backwards, and my tongue rubs against it all the time.

If you can't get in sooner, grab a litle travel sized bottle and fill it with mouthwash (something like Savacol). After eating/drinking, give your mouth a good rinse out- that should lower the risk of food getting trapped/sugars or acids making the original hole worse. See if you are allowed to grab some dental wax (most orthodontists will sell/give you a stick) and put it in the hole/over the jagged bit too, which may protect it a bit and further stop the food problem. Check that one with your dentist first though, I don't think it would be a problem myself but I haven't ever had a cavity/filling (going off my extensive experience with my cousins here :lol:) so I'm not too knowledgeable on them.

Good idea. I'll swish mouthwash like it's my best friend.

knock on it with your finger or the grip of a spoon: if it hurts means problems with the nerve, get to a dentist asap.
hurts only when cold stuff gets close to it: Get a new filling and you should be ok
Its only because of the irritation on the tongue: Get a new filling anyway, but you don't have to be afraid something bigger is up (usually...)

And yes, I am a dentist.
You probably have a big Amalgam filling in that tooth. Once the rest of the tooth gets to thin, its possible a part of it fractures. Have cases like this every week. Or a filling just popped out. Which shouldn't happen...

Yes! A dentist! It doesn't hurt when I wiggle or tap it with my finger. But it hurts when I drink cold water. So it's probably just a filling thing. Any dentists from Adelaide also visit this forum? :p

What possible reasons could cause the filling to come out? Too aggressive brushing or flossing? The filling was put in there around 2 years ago.

Well, what I was eating yesterday night was noodles. But when I made it I fried some cabbage, carrots and beef with chilli sauce. And the chilli sause had chilli seeds in it. So that could have caused it? But I think it's a slow build up. For the past week it was already a bit aching. But always was ok after I brushed/mouthwashed at night, so I thought it was just food in there.

Sorry for getting back to you late, I was away for a prolongued weekend...
Something hard may have caused it, or there was too much caries around the filling. Hard to tell without looking at it, but then I guess your appointment already happened, so you know what's up ;-)

I love this topic. Now I'm waiting for "Lower abdomen hurts? Kidney stone or appendix?". :p

I love this topic. Now I'm waiting for "Lower abdomen hurts? Kidney stone or appendix?". :p

Belgian board I used to frequent had a docter as a regular member who openend his own 'ask your medical questions' thread...... you wouldent believe the weird discusting icky stuff people have :p

I also learned that traditionally dressed islamwomen combined with ladyshaves can produce some hilarious painfull incidents .

Last edited: