The "New Toys" Thread

You want instant access to all your media say for streaming to another PC on the house or you have a media adapter.

1] I have a DivX DVD player, no need to stream, just play it like a regular DVD

You have high definition content that would get ruined converting to DVD.

2] Don't have either the player or the bandwidth for HD

Your photo collection is 30 Gb so you need Blu-Ray which is very expensive.

3] Don't have that many photos, all of mine fit on my player

You have your 400 cd collection ripped in a lossless format and it takes 300GB as a result.

4] Lossless isn't something i really care for, i still get 320 kbps regular, and i don't have 300 CDs ;)

Your media collection is 1.2 terabytes

5] My media collection is actually close to 1.5 TB and it's all burnt and ready to be played in an instant.

DVD -- how quaint ;)

DVD works for my situation, maybe not for yours :\

Apparently the problem seems to come from firmware updates. Which is the best firmware version to run on the D2?

Oh yeah, the firmware updates do delete everything on internal memory. Like i said, 2.51 (or is it 2.50...) is (apart from the lack of seamless play) perfect for me.

But which one's the latest and can support the themes and other stuff...

I don't know, Cowon firmwares seem to be so confusing compared to the iRivers I've always owned.

Might as well look at getting the Samsung P2 or iTouch whilst I'm at it...

Last edited:
I haven't checked it out in a while, though. Let me look.

EDIT: That's >3.54. 3.** are made for the Korean versions. I'm gonna go check it out now. :)

Last edited:
From what I've read, the Korean version seems to be preferable due to the extra features it offers. However, I'm not sure which version would cause file corruption.

Well, i'm copying everything off it right now, will update to latest 3.55, which also has flash menus, so nice animations, here we come! I'll take it like that with me to germany and will report back afterwards.

I have a guess and it's probably right, but I don't wanna spoil Quiky's fun if I'm right.

Whoa, nice setup Quiky :thumbsup:

Well, i'm copying everything off it right now, will update to latest 3.55, which also has flash menus, so nice animations, here we come! I'll take it like that with me to germany and will report back afterwards.

So, done the upgrade yet? Any major screwups to report so far???

Now that i am out of school for the summer, I can finally catch up on some gaming

65b83407703d59c28d75a0252d1ca9a64g.jpg

Lucky you! I technically am off for the summer as of today, but good ol' GCSEs come first.

What are the GCSE's. Are they some sort of standardized test?

Yes. Cambridge International Exams. We kids here in Singapore have it too...

I don't have it, luckily, being exempted from it and skipping to A levels.

They are the General Certificate of Secondary Education. They are compulsory for us, as the official school leaving age is the 1st July of the year that you turn 16 - i.e. after GCSEs. And we can't skip them to A-levels. Only rare cases in non-core subjects, like Music can people skip the GCSE.

They are the General Certificate of Secondary Education. They are compulsory for us, as the official school leaving age is the 1st July of the year that you turn 16 - i.e. after GCSEs. And we can't skip them to A-levels. Only rare cases in non-core subjects, like Music can people skip the GCSE.

Doesn't sound like fun. It must be similar to our ACT and SAT tests. Good luck