The "New Toys" Thread

LEAFSPRINGZ, LEAFSPRINGZ!

Lets stop the madness!

Oh crap that's what mine has on it. :(

It also feels so cheaply made that it's unreal and yet it wasn't that cheap when I bought it last August. Damn tv tuner being included and the 8600M in it was why I got it, along with the 2gb which at the time seemed rare for laptops at that price. Amazing what just half a year can do to what was an up-to-date laptop. :(

I bought one of those HPs for my mom, and it's a good machine for what we paid and what she uses it for.

But I meant in the looks department, the Windows camp's efforts fail in comparison to Apple. How can you beat a simple yet elegant aluminum case with matching backlit keyboard and no useless ugly stuff like Intel Inside stickers on it. It's just pure sex.

I'm not saying Apples are good because of their looks, but that certainly is part of the appeal and part of the higher prices compared to Windows boxes.

Last edited:
Really!

Linux is better. (There's always one of us on these apple/pc discussions)

Yeah security at our mental institutions is lacking.:p

Oh and if you start a RMS style rant on free software I swear I will track you down and do horrible, horrible, things to you.

From a long time Linux user.:p

Consider this: Apple's retail market share is 14 percent, and two-thirds for PCs costing $1,000 or more.

macq108.jpg

http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/channel/macs_defy_windows-gravity.html

Apple's success above $1,000 defies some of the conventional retail thinking about PCs, where the emphasis is on lower pricing and greater features. "Consumers don't care about features," Stephen asserted. "People see a value proposition in an offering that gives them a great experience." <= that's why people buy "overpriced" iPods over "cheaper XYZ Mp3 players. After all you're listening to music right?

On an over all point-to-point feature basis any Apple product are comparable within $100. Most comparisons I've seen tend to omit features that Apple has standard on their hardware or use faulty or obsolete facts. Like I had a discussion with one fella who compared another Dell with kickass specs vs a MBP but at roughly similar price but the Dell is double the weight and double the thickness. Not to mention it would only run 1/3rd the time on battery and required massive HSF to keep cool. Not to mention no option for Windows XP.

What Apple lacks is flexible pricing on their products over time. Like for example a Macbook Pro retailing $1999 on Day 1 would most likely remain at that price point until it is phased out by Apple in favor of a newer model while companies like Dell would price a Latitude on Day 1 at $1999 but would slowly drop prices over time depending on how much Intel and other parts suppliers can offer discounts on parts.

Last edited:
Yeah security at our mental institutions is lacking.:p

Oh and if you start a RMS style rant on free software I swear I will track you down and do horrible, horrible, things to you.

From a long time Linux user.:p

I'll spare you the inevitable distro war, and sorry about the guardhouse...I was in his house, hacking his noobs.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

My new (well 2004 build) cisco 1803 (SHDSL ISR, I don't use SHDSL I use the FE for connecting to my cable modem)

I have the exact same wireless router! Works like a charm here

^ You, and about 98 percent of people who own wireless routers of some kind.

I personally never bought one because I didn't get the messed up looks. Why not make something geometric and black so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

3GB of Corsair Value select 400 arrived, and installed withing 5 minutes of walking in the door. So much nicer than the 768mb I had in there for the last however many years...

^ What Mac zealots? I use Windows 4x as often as I use Mac.

timeslips FTL