2008 Monaco Formula 1 Grand Prix

It's not only luck mate. The fact is that the two Ferrari drivers made more mistakes. Hamilton made one, Raikkonen made three, plus the strategy. So don't day it was easy, because in the rain it is never easy.

I'll accept the fact that you're a Ferrari fan, but you should note that every time Ferrari wins a race, the Lewis and McLaren fans will congratulate him on his driving. The other way around it never seems to happen.

Just make sure you give credit where it is deserved. I cannot see how you cannot call Lewis at least a good driver after turkey and monaco...that's just blindness...

Of course Ferrari made mistakes. I'm not praising Massa or Kimi's driving in this race by any means. I'm just saying had it not been for Hamilton's fortune today I'm not sure he would've won. He's a good driver for his age, but the way people have built him up and portrayed his skills you'd think god himself was driving. Its retarded.

In this race, the only people I enjoyed watching that stuck out in my mind was Kubica, Sutil, Vettel, and Alonso for having the balls to use the dries while the track was still quite wet. That was impressive.

I saw that too...they were completely blind. At one point they were shouting at someone for not letting a car past, which they thought had lapped him. After a while, it dawned upon them that the car behind might not be 1 lap ahead <_<

Yeah, and they keep making this kind of mistake over and over again.
They can't identify the drivers, in some cases even if their names are written on the screen. <_<

Last edited:
Of course Ferrari made mistakes. I'm not praising Massa or Kimi's driving in this race by any means. I'm just saying had it not been for Hamilton's fortune today I'm not sure he would've won. He's a good driver for his age, but the way people have built him up and portrayed his skills you'd think god himself was driving. Its retarded.

I think he probably still would've won, as he was well ahead of Kubica up to the point of his mishap with the wall. That McLaren was simply awesome around the streets, even Kovalainen was blindingly fast, although rarely with the opportunity to capitalise. He isn't God, but on this particular day he did have certain qualities in his driving that reminded of Senna, that sense of knowing exactly where the grip is and just how hard to push it. He came undone in the early stages, but Senna wasn't exactly infallible either! ;)

Even if I were not a Ferrari fan, I would not blame Kimi for what happend. I was really pulling for Force India to have a good result, I still do. But to demand Kimi be banned, c'mon....

Congrats to Lewis for a good job in such bad conditions.

Ferrari is still in the lead in the constructors points, so I can still sleep well. :)

I have to wonder if Piquet Jr. is lacking support from Renault, I mean they weren't all that supportive of Kovi last year in my opinion. As we can see Kovi isn't a bad driver at all, I think people need to give Piquet Jr. time and Renault should give him more support, but I guess that won't happen while Alonso is around.

We all knew it was a mistake to put Piquet Jr. on the slicks, so why didn't Renault see that? Their expectations of him are too high at the moment, he is a rookie in F1.

I'm not taking anything away from Hamilton's driving yesterday as apart from that mistake he did a brilliant job but it has to be said that he had a tremendous bit of luck with him as far as that mistake goes.

- He was lucky not to damage his car in the brush with the wall
- He was lucky that it happened reasonably near the pits in a reasonably slow part of the track so he didn't lose heaps of time while making his way to the pits
- The timing was pretty much ideal as he could still go on with intermediates that could carry him far enough ahead to take dry tyres on his final stop. As it turned out it would have been ideal point of the race to take the stop in any case as...
- ... he was also lucky with the safety car which closed the gaps right after his stop which meant he was effectively a pit stop's worth ahead of everyone else.

It was an incredible stroke of luck and as it turns out his accident propably brought him more good than bad. That said, he would have been a strong contender even without his brush with the wall as he clearly had the pace, but whether he could have taken the win we'll never know. Certainly he would not have without the pace car after his accident, and in that case Kubica would have had a good chance to rack up his first win.

What a heartbreaking day for Sutil, though. It did him a lot of good, and I'd say his spot in the team is secured thanks to that, but he really should have gained those points. His efforts in the rain have been fantastic, a highlight he shares with the likes of Schumacher and Senna in their early days. It would be interesting to see how he'd do in proper machinery.

I have to wonder, what with all the Hamilton-hate that crops up in these threads (that's *not* aimed at those who provide reasoning behind their statements btw), what would people's reactions be if Hamilton made the same mistake Kimi did?

Cos, y'know, I just *know* some people would be jumping down the guy's throat, and having a very different reaction to the one they're having with Kimi making the error.

In this race, the only people I enjoyed watching that stuck out in my mind was Kubica, Sutil, Vettel, and Alonso for having the balls to use the dries while the track was still quite wet. That was impressive.

+1

I agree with what you said. Kubica was definetely the driver of the race, very consistent and fast without too many unforced errors.

Goldenboy got lucky this time, sure he did well and put up a solid race, but he was extremely lucky that 1) despite hitting the wall, he didn't damage his car 2) he was close to the pitlane and the timing was about right for a pitstop. Things just worked out for him and so did the strategy, the win was inevitable and it helped him to lead the championship. I'm just a bit bleak that Kubica didn't steal that win away from him.

Had Kimi not mucked up the launch and the unforced errors, he could have score a few points, judging by the fact that he set the fastest lap of the race. But too bad, the champ has now lost the lead. Let's see if he can make it up in Canada.

"Hamilton is God" stuff is caused by the UK media, its hype - its not the blokes fault that us Brits are so longing for a real F1 winning contender. Its just that when this coverage is seen by non Brits (actually it makes me cringe too) it pisses people off - and it would me in the same circs. I agree - with fbc 100%. Hamilton is not beyond making a mistake or two but random unfounded Hamilton bashing is a little unfair.

Madcow and all the other Hamilton bashers, you dont give Hamilton much credit do you. Yes, Lewis got lucky in some aspects, but what about the awesome speed and consistency that won him an almost 40 second lead in the middle of the race? That wasn't luck...

Cobol74 is right. The James Allen wanking at the end of the race was painful to endure but how is that Lewis's fault? Also someone above said they were unhappy with the way he acted after the race. I missed the podium celebrations where a driver may be excused for being more than somewhat delighted, but I heard him apologise to the team for stuffing it into the wall. How is that acting like a douche? Thats how it's spelled btw, not whatever you wote ;).

Last edited:
Madcow and all the other Hamilton bashers, you dont give Hamilton much credit do you. Yes, Lewis got lucky in some aspects, but what about the awesome speed and consistency that won him an almost 40 second lead in the middle of the race? That wasn't luck...

I wouldn't count myself as a Hamilton basher but I'll still point out that the gaps were cut down with the safety car following DC/Seb incident and both Kubica and Massa had to do the pit stops Hamilton had already done after his problem, which handed Hamilton a healthy lead. Additionally both of them were on a moist track with cold intermediate tyres that cost them some extra time (although that's not much) while Hamilton could go on with his warmed up tyres at the front.

To sum up - 1. good drive but not perfect in a good car for the circuit, 2. Lucky, 3. Object of unreasonable media hype (and very nauseating - please stop it). Right on to Canada. ..

I wouldn't count myself as a Hamilton basher but I'll still point out that the gaps were cut down with the safety car following DC/Seb incident and both Kubica and Massa had to do the pit stops Hamilton had already done after his problem, which handed Hamilton a healthy lead. Additionally both of them were on a moist track with cold intermediate tyres that cost them some extra time (although that's not much) while Hamilton could go on with his warmed up tyres at the front.

I wasn't including you in that mate. I read your post and it was very well expressed, as always ;)

As after any grand prix there are a lot of "if..."s! We can safely say that a saftey car in monaco in the rain is garanteed, and if hamilton hadn't have had his bump he would have passed massa when he went off anyway and they'd have been on the same strategy. If hamiltons pace had been the same he'd have build up another mammoth lead and won it. :D

Suffice to say luck gave hamilton the right strategy and skill gave him the win :D

Madcow and all the other Hamilton bashers, you dont give Hamilton much credit do you.

i said :

sure he did well and put up a solid race

To sum up - 1. good drive but not perfect in a good car for the circuit, 2. Lucky, 3. Object of unreasonable media hype (and very nauseating - please stop it). Right on to Canada. ..

Pretty much so.

Suffice to say luck gave hamilton the right strategy and skill gave him the win :D

Skill won't give you the fastest lap time though.

Last edited:
Skill won't give you the fastest lap time though.

He may not have got the fastest but his best was posted 5min before the others on a rapidly drying track, I expect he was taking it easier by then, no point in stuffing it into a wall (again)!

He was setting fastest lap after fastest lap when it mattered though, during the mid part of the race when he needed to build up a gap on kubica and massa.

Sounds good to me.

I have to wonder if Piquet Jr. is lacking support from Renault, I mean they weren't all that supportive of Kovi last year in my opinion. As we can see Kovi isn't a bad driver at all, I think people need to give Piquet Jr. time and Renault should give him more support, but I guess that won't happen while Alonso is around.

We all knew it was a mistake to put Piquet Jr. on the slicks, so why didn't Renault see that? Their expectations of him are too high at the moment, he is a rookie in F1.

x2. We all know how much Flavio likes Alonso. I don't think they support Piquet at all and it doesn't help that his dad was such a good racer. He is under the microscope with much more magnification than your normal F1 rookie.

How long did it take for Trulli, Button, Barrichello and some others before there first F1 win? It has only been 6 races, not even half way through the season and they've mentioned on SPEED that Renault is considering to go to there backup drivers next season if Piquet doesn't improve. It doesn't make much sense for them to compare him to a 2 time world champion. I don't necessarily like Alonso but you can't go around the fact that he is a damn good driver.

Anyways just my 2 cents.