So I saw a Porsche 928 and damn, it's ugly.

Worst part is that it's a Pininfarina design, for all that it looks like a Giugiaro in one of his bad moments when he was at Bertone or Ghia.

Oh well, I guess old Sergio Pininfarina couldn't make them *all* be winners.

The exterior of the 928 could be debatable (I always liked them) but you have to give it this credit: it was a revolutionary design. Just imagine how radical that looked in 1978!

Yeah, it's definitely different than anything else - which I suspect was the whole point, with it being the first watercooled/V8/front-engine Porsche.

I kind of like them, especially the final S4 version.

Now, as a *car*, it's got some serious shortcomings and failures - chief among which is the difficulty and expense of repair. Which it needs often.
While they are very difficult to work on (it was as though the body was made of some heat-shrink material, placed over the drivetrain and left in the oven), I made a lot of money sorting out electrical problems and fighting to get access to the engine.

But man, what an engine! Especially the S4 series you mentioned. The manual-transmission cars are very rare, and that's a shame. My favorite thing was to drive along an on-ramp in second gear, with the tach at 4,000 rpm. Once a chance to merge on the interstate appeared, nail the throttle and hang on!
:driving:

Never owned one though. Worked on too many of them to want one for myself. I stuck with the 3.0 & 3.2 911's and the non-turbo 944's until Jaguar seduced me.

As said before: When this car was released it was absolutely great. I used to grow up seeing one of them from time to time and it was spectacular. Just remember how cars that came out in the late 70th used to look like:

Mercedes-Benz-240.jpg

Ford-Mustang-coupe.jpg

Ford_Granada_vl_green_TCE.jpg

It was so ahaid of it's time that porsche could sell it till the mid 90's with only minor changes.

Great piece of design to me.

Looking at the Porsche 928 it's sharp "avantgarde-ish" clear cut and sharp looks certainly isn't for anyone. It's a far cry for their current designs which all relates to the 911 in some way or another. In numerous other posts on this and other forums I have been banging on about it's timelessness. It's firmly my opinion that the 928 is one of the most timeless designs to this date, looked modern when it was new, looks modern still.

The 928 represented something new at Porsche, it was meant to be the car to take over for the 911, and therefore it had to be different. Because of this no expenses were spared during it's development, and it ended up being a very advanced car both in it's construction, mechanics and electronics. This combined with it's low second hand value, due to not being a a Porsche that isn't a 911 has resulted in many ending up in the wrong hands with little maintenance, a recipe for financial disaster. When it arrived the 928 made all it's competition both look and feel rather old-hat, something it continued to do until it's demise in 1995.

Last edited:
As said before: When this car was released it was absolutely great. I used to grow up seeing one of them from time to time and it was spectacular. Just remember how cars that came out in the late 70th used to look like:

Mercedes-Benz-240.jpg

Hey, I like the W123 Mercedes!

Well, crap. There's goes my reputation on this forum! :lol:

but speaking of timelessness: here the 911 beats them all. half a century and running...

I used to drive a w115 in the early 90's and found it much nicer. As a car I like the w123, too. But compared with a 928 it was sooo old. Schw?bischer Barock. More so if you keep in mind that the w126 came out just one year later.

"I would like a mustang that looks like a boring family sedan and can only identify it as one because it says it on it."
oh yes
much rather have the porsche
No i'd rather have my beetle than that ugly ford :?

I do too, I already destroyed my rep by saying I liked the roller though!

They really are good land barges, and you can pick up a minter for about ?1000 in the UK.

I saw a 928 today as well. Far from my first though. I actually think they look rather good. I'd love to own one, but I can't get passed the fact that it's a Porsche (so it eats very expensive parts).

Wow, so...you got to the point of "I had been thinking about this as a possible future car for me when I could get the cash..." and yet...you had never seen one? One has to wonder how you came to the conclusion that this was a car worth saving up for, having never seen it.

I've just saw a red one today my work parking lot. So far all the 928s I see came from the US since none of the cars I've seen ever had a white plate. I like the 928's styling and considering it started production in 1977, it still doesn't look out of place with modern cars. My car was designed in 1985 and looks out of place in every parking lot I go to.

Good lord, the 928 ugly? Wow, just reinforces the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" phrase! I think it's looks fantastic, along with the 944 and 968.

I don't think it's a bad looking car and I quite like the front... I just could never get over the side door windows which IMHO make the car look ALOT older than a 944. The back is alright, I prefer the newer flush lights though.

Holy shit!!!
I've just seen a VW Beetle. :O

*Creates thread.

Last edited:
I love the way it looks in pictures but i havent seen one in live.. There arent so many 928:s in Finland.

I had never seen one in person. It looks great in pictures, I will grant you that. But look at one up close and it's a thing of ugly. Especially those headlights when they're up... you just have no grasp of how big and eyeballish they are. Seeing one up close has ruined it for me.

However,if I was given the opportunity to own a 928 S4. I'll jump at the chance,because the current product line of Porsches such as the Boxter,Caymen and the Cayenne doesn't appeal to me.

For me it's the other way around. I really disliked them on paper, but seeing one in real life it makes complete sense. If I wanted a GT car, this would be my kind of choice.