[12x02] November 9th, 2008

[12x02] November 9th, 2008

• Total voters
As an american, can I just apologize for Reno, Nevada, the department of state, and our (until recently) crop of generally bad cars?

Ummm, first off, its called the U.S. State Department not department of state and second, you should add an appology for basically the whole west coast. Reno cops were just doing thier jobs (as much as it hurts to say that), but, im glad they got out of Cali before they were outlawed in San Fran like they have outlawed SUV's and the US Military within the city limits. Sad.

Last edited:
God I love the sound of V8's

Great show 10/10

I wish they could visit America more often and visit New England. A lot of windy roads and nice scenery.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! People can stop bitching about "Clarkson hates all American cars! WAA WAA WAAAA!!!"

:D

Been watching TG since 2004, I think this might have been their best ever show. The only thing I wish they'd done was bring in the Stig for timed laps with their American cars around Laguna Seca.

For those who skipped SIARPC, you may want to go back and watch it. Will and JC have pretty good chemistry, it was a funny interview. Will was the first winner of Pop Idol, which is the UK show that was brought to the USA as American Idol.

Oh and this week's episode gets bonus points for coolness because they used the song Hell March, which is the theme music to Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

Last edited:
I am honestly suprised there are people who voted this episode less than an 8/10. Easy 10/10 for me. One of the best Top gear episodes of the last 4 seasons.

Clarkson's quote about the Corvette being made of the same plastic as American news readers- :lmao:

Clarkson moving Hammonds car to the middle of the road- :lmao:

Clarkson Drifting the ZR1 around the turn- :mrgreen:

Torrent only took 30 mins to dl.

This episode was awesome. no other word to describe it. I loved the theme of "factual program", but I still miss the entertaining factor. And James May was hilarious.

10/10

Loved EVERYTHING, esp Clarkson's early practice on the salt flats and Captain "fast" overtaking Jeeza and staying in front.

Clarkson Drifting the ZR1 around the turn- :mrgreen:

i HATE "drifting". what a pointless sport, if your gonna put car vs car, then do a proper race. with that said, wow that was cool to see him do that. when they were showing the shots from inside the vette you could actually see the G forces on him, the seat was being forced back untill he was out of the turns or off the pedal then it was shifting back forward.

Loved the ep. I've been fiending for a 500 abarth esseesse since I heard it was coming to the states when alfa returns. The american cars review was great, although it was funny for me to note that the first part of the video had so many out-of-sequence clips if you're driving down 80/50 to Tahoe. Nobody except someone like me, jetsetter or blind would notice that, because you'd only notice if you'd driven that road 100 times.

Loved the episode. Not sure that I want to get the 500 Abarth when it comes to North America, but of the three muscle cars I'm almost -- *almost* -- convinced that I could handle the Caddy. (I still think I'd go for a used BMW 3-series though.)
I definitely want to find those roads between Reno and Bonneville, next time I do my driving vacation.

First time poster on the Specific Episodes Discussion

I wanted to give this episode an 8/10, but I am a bit drunk so i accidentally clicked 7. The FIAT review was good, and I completely skipped the SIARPC segment cause I have an exam in the morning. The Muscle Car segment, I could have done without the State Department stuff, but the cars were amazing, I am a self-identified import car lover. This is the first time I can say that I want an American car over a foregin car (ZR-1).

Has anyone found where the Challenger is up for sale? I've searched on Ebay and Cars.com and havent been able to find one that would logically fit. It would be nice to afford, but I know it is way out of my grad student budget.

Cheers!

Wow. I feel like the dunce in the corner.

I thought it was nothing special at all, just another 'solid' TG episode.

Might have to watch again just to see what I may have missed earlier.

All I can say is wow. That was absolutely brilliant! I've never rated an episode 10/10...but I am now. The Fiat review was great, the news was great (it had proper chemistry, not written in reactions!) and the America test was fantastic! The ZR1 sounds like an absolute race car, and that film made me want one even more. I wonder if perhaps Clarkson will buy one?

As for the State department...well, lets hope the bring back a level of rationality to visa applicants. The very notion that one needs a specialized Visa to film in the US is some how...antithetical to stated American ideals of free speech. But eh, I'm just a common Joe.

I sincerely doubt that bit of government red tape had any impact on the content of the show. "Factual" and "Entertaining" are not two diametrically opposed point on the TV broadcasting scale as Top Gear proves, more often than not, episode after episode.. That they applied for or received technically the wrong visa is the kind of Government nonsense that happens all the time in countries all around the world. The bottom line is they came to the US and made one hell of a good show, all without being gunned down by Bruce Willis from a helicopter. Let's not make a federal case of it.

And no need to apologize for the Reno Cops and various police. After all, they are not embarrassed that you are moron so why should you apologize for their enforcing the laws? That too is something that happens worldwide. I swear, Americans are more self conscious than a debutante with a pimple in the middle of her forehead and twice as moody.

As for the video being 'choppy,' you must be kidding. I would quit my job and sell everything I have just to work with this video, editing, sound, and post production crew. The editing and special effect perfectly supports the mood and feelings they are trying to evoke. It is not like you see a ton of special effect and chop edits during the news or SIARPC. The visual effects in this episode work perfectly.

Loved the episode,

one thing to notice though is they have at least '2' chase/camera vehicles that we see in certain clips. Chevrolet Trailblazer in silver and a Ford Explorer eddie bauer in black w tan trim...

Which in the Reno Car alarm scene are the exact 2 vehicles Jeremy and Hammond set the alarms off on...

I find that most amusing, and I will not call Bruce Willis or the state department :D

As an american, can I just apologize for Reno, Nevada, the department of state, and our (until recently) crop of generally bad cars?

You may also apologize for all the plastic and crappy interiors they put in the cars, which is also the case with the 3 cars they drove in ep2.
The fact that they liked the power and handling doesnt change that fact, and if I were the manufacturer I would be extremely ashamed.

i cannot express how much i want a 500 arbarth

i hope they bring it to the states. i will buy one no matter what the cost.

in dark gray with the red badging, and the gray wheels, please fiat.

Last edited: