Failwatch 09: Man sues for "stress" from parking tickets - siezes city property.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
Failwatch 09: Man sues for "stress" from parking tickets - siezes city property.

WARNING: Daily FAIL Content!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-sends-bailiffs-collect-money.html?ITO=1490

A motorist has turned the tables on a council by successfully suing it for ?20,000 for stress caused from receiving four parking tickets.
Zun Noon, who refused to pay the four ?50 fines, claimed he suffered emotional distress after the authority sent bailiffs to reclaim its money.
When a court found in his favour, Mr Noon gave the council a taste of its own medicine and sent his own bailiffs to a council office to collect his damages.
Mr Noon's farcical battle against Newham Council in east London started in October 2007 when he was apparently captured by a council CCTV camera committing the parking offences.
Two more fines came the following month, and a fourth penalty - which was a duplicate of a previous one and was later dropped.
Mr Noon, of Tower Hamlets decided to give Newham launched his counterclaim for emotional distress at Bow County court.
After Newham Council failed to attend the hearing the judge awarded ?20,000 - ?5,000 for each ticket

A further hearing at the High Court took place, giving Newham a chance to challenge the award - but once again the council failed to turn up.
Bailiffs went to Newham's 'Parking Shop' in East Ham last November to present a 'notice of seizure' and began taking computers and putting them in a van. The council took 30 minutes before paying up.
Si-Ling Pang, a spokeswoman for Newham Council said: 'They were unplugging computers and taking them away. If they'd unplugged the server it would have cost us thousands of pounds worth of damage so we had to pay to stop it.'
The cost to taxpayers has since risen to ?27,566.83 including a service charge and costs resulting from the time taken to settle the case.
The council, which claims it has never received the court summons, has since taken the case back to Bow County Court, which has ruled in its favour, and ordered Noon to repay the money.
But the council may struggle to get the money back from Mr Noon as he is understood to have spent all the money.

So... why was this case allowed, again?

You can bring whatever suit you want, but since the Council never showed up the Judge had no choice but to award the settlement. If you don't show up to the hearing you lose by default.

So... why was this case allowed, again?
Because the Judge too had to pay a parking ticket once perhaps?!

As much as I don?t like the whole parking-ticket-fines nonsense ... this sounds like a really, really stupid descision. If I got 5000 Pounds for every ticket I got in my life, I wouldn?t need to work no more I guess ...

Normally, I'm quite against stupid court case results, but seeing someone "stick it to the man" so to speak, really makes me warm and tingly all over.

Pretty typical of a council to not turn up, serves them right.

Stupid case, but it lines peoples pockets. Hope that bloke gambles all the money away though...

As much as I don?t like the whole parking-ticket-fines nonsense ... this sounds like a really, really stupid descision. If I got 5000 Pounds for every ticket I got in my life, I wouldn?t need to work no more I guess ...

As Blind says you can claim for what the hell you want. If the other side fails to turn up, you win. Once the council bothered to go to the court, they won.

I say good for him. He exploited the exploiters.

The Fail reference was for the Daily FAIL (Daily Mail). And the council was full of fail (as was the guy who didn't just pay the fine for parking illegally).

So will Mr. Noon have to pay back the money from his own funds or is he getting away scots free after he has spent the 20000 pounds. After all, until the second hearing the 20000 pounds where his legally and he was free to spend them however he wishes.

Not if the verdict was appealed. You can't simply take the money and run.

The Fail reference was for the Daily FAIL (Daily Mail). And the council was full of fail (as was the guy who didn't just pay the fine for parking illegally).

I think he should have actually won(even with them showing up) if he was able to prove he parked legally.

on a related note I once got a ticket for speeding.
I went in paid the fine for defered adjudication(90 day probation dont get another ticket and it is dropped if you do you get both on your record)
Well I didnt get a ticket went in turned my paper work in and thought it was settled.
Went to get some insurance on a new car and they did a check on me and turns out I had a ticket.
Well turns out some dumb fu** city worker didnt enter the dismisal right it went on my record.

Well went to the city to get it dismissed and they refused saying it wasnt their fault. Well in Texas with a ticket on my record it cost more for insurance.

I tried to take the city to court. looking for #1 my record cleared. #2 money I had to pay to settle everything #3 lost work wages from the 6 times i had to go to the city building to get their shit fixed.

After 2 hearing they cleared my record but refused to pay anything claiming they were a city and not the ones responsable for the issue.

City of Richardson Texas can kiss my ass.and who the hell goes 35mph on a 6 lane road

Last edited: