Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I've always wondered what had the nicest looking rear end, out of the Lambo wedges.

Lamborghini-Countach-QV-5000-Rear-White-st.jpg

Lamborghini%20Diablo%20SVTT%205.jpg

Ecru_Lamborghini_Murcielago_-_004_-_rear.jpg

I kinda like the Diablo the most.

I've always been partial to the Countach. But not the US style rear, here is the Euro style:
lp500qv64.jpg

We just drove back from central Finland from a cabin trip. The sun was still shining when we hit a B-road with a lot of easy corners, good visibility and a 100kmh speed limit. I hitched the old Mazda 6 to 150kmh. Like you do.

Two people in the back seat started screaming their asses off. Quit speeding you drongo etc. I was kinda confused, since I didn't see it as a hazardous situation. But then it's the driver's duty to drive so the passengers feel safe. Ok, I backed off the gas, since that was only for my own fun, but how far do you have to go to please the passengers?

They didn't even like me overtaking stuff. Which is a bigger hazard anyway? Me driving behind some ass doing 60->110->60 on a 100kmh road, trying to keep my nerves cool, or me driving at a steady 120kmh without any obstacles?

Just wondering. Oh, and just for the record, we crashed and died because of my reckless driving.

WOW, you came back from the dead just to post this? That is AWESOME!

We just drove back from central Finland from a cabin trip. The sun was still shining when we hit a B-road with a lot of easy corners, good visibility and a 100kmh speed limit. I hitched the old Mazda 6 to 150kmh. Like you do.

Two people in the back seat started screaming their asses off. Quit speeding you drongo etc. I was kinda confused, since I didn't see it as a hazardous situation. But then it's the driver's duty to drive so the passengers feel safe. Ok, I backed off the gas, since that was only for my own fun, but how far do you have to go to please the passengers?

They didn't even like me overtaking stuff. Which is a bigger hazard anyway? Me driving behind some ass doing 60->110->60 on a 100kmh road, trying to keep my nerves cool, or me driving at a steady 120kmh without any obstacles?

Just wondering. Oh, and just for the record, we crashed and died because of my reckless driving.

I go by the rule "If you don't like my driving, please feel free to get the fuck out and take a bus". Of course talking about normal driving, not over the top speeding or throwing the car into corners at excessive speeds for fun. But then again, that type of driving tends to occur only when I drive by myself, without annoyin passengers. So yeah, in your situation I would've encouraged the screamers to shut up or get out.

Oh, and just for the record, we crashed and died because of my reckless driving.
:lol::lol::lol:

I see that you got better after you crashed and died, that's a good thing :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Those Karelians and Savonians :)P) are bit weird anyway, so no wonder you got annoyed while driving.

I go by the rule "If you don't like my driving, please feel free to get the fuck out and take a bus". Of course talking about normal driving, not over the top speeding or throwing the car into corners at excessive speeds for fun. But then again, that type of driving tends to occur only when I drive by myself, without annoyin passengers. So yeah, in your situation I would've encouraged the screamers to shut up or get out.

I actually did, rather impolitely, encourage the lady passenger in the back to quiet down or shove off and grab a bus, since I'd frankly had enough of the constant whining. She chose to shut up.

I just hate shouting at people, so when I do it, I'd rather it be for a reason.

Posting a question for one of my friends here.

She has no vehicle and wants to get a bike. But she only has $500 discounting insurance, licencing and $250 for any repairs it may need (she's fairly good at working on engines/etc).

Should she post a wanted ad on Craigslist or not?

Um.....

She has $500 for the bike and only $250 for repairs?

Is she new to bikes?

Um.....

She has $500 for the bike and only $250 for repairs?

Is she new to bikes?

Sadly, yes. I've tried to tell her she needs more but I think she assumes I will fix it for her if she runs out of money <_<

Well.... Is this in Houston, or over in the Land Of Speed Cameras?

Houston, thankfully for her. Riding is easier than driving in Europe but that doesn't make it easy.

Bugger, the passenger side door panels are weirdly warped and coming off of the door frame. WTF? Oh, and a (small surface, thankfully) rust spot between the door and frame. Note to self, thorough pre-purchase inspection wasn't thorough enough.

Posting a question for one of my friends here.

She has no vehicle and wants to get a bike. But she only has $500 discounting insurance, licencing and $250 for any repairs it may need (she's fairly good at working on engines/etc).

Should she post a wanted ad on Craigslist or not?

$500, she can get a bitching Huffy for that much.

Houston, thankfully for her. Riding is easier than driving in Europe but that doesn't make it easy.

Then no. You need about $2000-2500 to get started from scratch (no gear whatsoever and looking for a project bike to fix up), at least assuming that you want something you can safely use on freeways (which is a must in Houston.) If you'd like an example of the costs involved in putting something like that back on the road and buying new gear, post in the motorcycle thread or my Nighthawk thread and I'll post up rough costs - I got back into motorcycles after a long hiatus and basically had to start from scratch with gear and bike (but fortunately not riding or mechanical skills.)

$500, she can get a bitching Huffy for that much.

That's about what I was thinking.

Bugger, the passenger side door panels are weirdly warped and coming off of the door frame. WTF? Oh, and a (small surface, thankfully) rust spot between the door and frame. Note to self, thorough pre-purchase inspection wasn't thorough enough.

Make sure you check all the drain holes and make sure they're clear. The good news is that they sold lots of X308s, so you can replace the door panels relatively cheaply off eBay and swap over your wood fillets. (That's what they're called, don't ask.) Make sure you get or install new moisture barriers (if they are missing or damaged) and that they're applied properly (those plastic sheets that go between the inner panels and the door on almost all cars).

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye out; right now I'm not exactly chauffeuring people daily, so it's not a huge deal, just so long as it won't come off suddenly when someone tries to close it. Did you say your other Jaguar expert friend is coming up to Boston at some point? I'd gladly buy him some beers or dinner for a quick general consult on my car.