2000 Camaro SS

I love how silly parents are about "safety" of cars. Suddenly a Camaro is considered safe... haha. Worlds apart for us though, I was the one who made my dad get a LS1 Holden Monaro, otherwise he was afraid I wouldn't speak to him again! :lol:

Congrats on the car, get rid of those cheesy gangsta rims and get some proper rubber on there!

You should be able to sell those wheels for a good price and quickly. There are a lot of tasteless wheel buyers out there. Just remember to put in your ad somethin along the lines of this:

20 INCH BLING BLING CHROMEZ WHEELZ YO NOS TURBOZ

Of course if they're bigger you might want to go with DUBS or DUBZZ etc. Z's are key here. If they aren't at least 20s dont' specify size or you can just lie, whichever. :lol:

what do you think I should sell them for? Also I will probably do that when I get back from Florida because the guy also threw in the original tires/rims for free. Unfortunately, it looks like the guy did lots of burnouts because the tread on the org. tire is almost nonexistent.

Or perhaps he'd just warn through the tyres? :p

By the way, he probably meant that there's a non-stock differential by "BUILT REAR END, YO!". Did the SS come with a LSD?

Or perhaps he'd just warn through the tyres? :p

By the way, he probably meant that there's a non-stock differential by "BUILT REAR END, YO!". Did the SS come with a LSD?

Yes it did, though I'm not sure what kind. I still think it's the aftermarket sway bar because he described the stock T-56 transmission with a short shifter as a "customized and built transmission". Also he described the aluminum grill as a "custom grill" too. :lol:

what do you think I should sell them for? Also I will probably do that when I get back from Florida because the guy also threw in the original tires/rims for free. Unfortunately, it looks like the guy did lots of burnouts because the tread on the org. tire is almost nonexistent.

Any idea on the brand? If so see what they're going for on ebay etc. If you don't know the brand just look up similarly sized gangsta wheels on ebay and see the price there. I'm sure you could get at least $300 for them but do some research, you might be able to get more.

16 years old + Camaro SS = wrong

Dude if that is your real car then you seriously are in a world of trouble. It will take you exactly 5 seconds to break the speed limit and 10 seconds to kill yourself or worse, someone else. And don't forget California is the anti-street racing state from hell--and yes you will be street racing. Your call will be taken away and you will likely get one fat ticket or jail time. I'm not calling you a "spoiled little rich kid" because Camaro SS's are cheap. I just can't fathom parents who buy their kids cars they have no business driving--especially when they kill themselves or others--and then the parents wonder why that happend.

And for the sake of nothing lets do the "FinalGear" forums sign all over the place to see if this is your real car. Nothing personal.

Dude props to you for earning the moeny to buy it, but you're gonna throw that thing around a tree. I can only hope the fact taht you're paying for half of it will convince you to be gentle with your right foot. You said hurst short shifter... so it's a manual? That makes many times harder to drive normally.

Yeah dude, I can barely control myself with my car and I've put probably more than the worth of your car car into mine with my own money and I'm 10 years older and I can still barely contain myself when I get out on some open country road.

Get a picture of the rear axle. I wonder if he put a girdle on it. He should have left the carrier and gears alone, but if he "built" it, who knows. Gear swaps are a lot of work and not something a guy with no know-how and a bunch of money will tend to do. Those types usually just get cheesy wheels, a K&N, fancy subwoofers, and a designer exhaust. A real gearhead would have at least put a new lid on it.

If it's a manual then it should have 3.42 gears in it. Be careful not to do too many clutch dumps with that car. The 3.42's should be okay on street tires, but those 10-bolts are notorious for breaking. If you ever put any drag slicks on it, dont be surprised if the rear goes pop.

Last edited:
If the road becomes slippery BE FUCKING CARFUL. If it is anything like my was Mustang the rear will leave you as soon at it has a chance. Even on dry road this can be an issue.

Since you are young and inexperienced I suggest you drive the car like a granny for a year. Get use to RWD handling. If you don't have experience with it oversteer will bite you in the ass.

I've been driving for 3 years and I still drive the RX-8 like a granny. I just don't know where its limits are or what it will do when I reach them. I'm not going to lecture you about it though because of your personal investment. You know the consequences of screwing up, so enjoy the car!

It's not as bad as everyone else is making it sound, As long as you know how cars behave you should be fine.

Excellent first car I think. Just make sure to practice drifting in wide open areas like parking lots when nobody else is around. :D

I've been driving for 3 years and I still drive the RX-8 like a granny. I just don't know where its limits are or what it will do when I reach them. I'm not going to lecture you about it though because of your personal investment. You know the consequences of screwing up, so enjoy the car!

You're driving your car wrong :p. You need to rev your Wankel like an Italian to get that carbon out.

It's not as bad as everyone else is making it sound, As long as you know how cars behave you should be fine.

No offense but your Thunderbird is nowhere as powerful. I had years of experience with a shity Lincoln and later my Dad's Roadmaster before I got my Mustang.

Big yank tank RWDs will scare the shit out of you well before you hit the limit. With my Mustang, and especially with this Camaro, you have about a second to realize what is going wrong and start fixing it. That requires a bit of trained instinct and the ability to remain calm. The former must be learned.

A teenager trying to impress his pals or a cute girl will easily total a car.

Last edited:
So you sold the 200 sx now? Nice.

I learned driving on a relatively fast car that couldn't handle, so I think he will be fine.

Nice car, change the rims, ect. It looks like someone was trying to fit into a ghetto neighborhood like those people in the bay area.

And grow a mullet. Cousins like that type of stuff. just kidding.

Last edited:
So you sold the 200 sx now? Nice.

I learned driving on a relatively fast car that couldn't handle, so I think he will be fine.

Nice car, change the rims, ect.

Ah didn't know he had a 200SX. Yeah that experience with a slower RWD car should help. Still be careful with the extra power.

No offense but your Thunderbird is nowhere as powerful. I had years of experience with a shity Lincoln and later my Dad's Roadmaster before I got my Mustang.

No offense taken, My car is slow as hell but it's not all about horsepower, I can get sideways and plow over a crowd of people in my car but that will never happen because I'm careful driving it.

I've driven things way more dangerous than a LS1 camaro to the very limits and always came out fine. It's the people who try and pull a drift going left through the lights that cause all the havoc. People who think looking cool rules over all else.

Judging by what the OP was saying so far he seems pretty smart about it and I'll bet he won't wrap it around a tree unless he sneezes mid corner or something :D

Cool car man!

Can I have your drivetrain?
I know what it's like to have a big powerfull RWD car for a first car, and I'm sure you'll do fine. But just some words of wisdom. If it's wet, be careful. And although it's oh so tempting to show off to your friends... and I'm sure you will. Do it in a safe place... ie. empty parking lots.

16 years old + Camaro SS = wrong

Dude if that is your real car then you seriously are in a world of trouble. It will take you exactly 5 seconds to break the speed limit and 10 seconds to kill yourself or worse, someone else. And don't forget California is the anti-street racing state from hell--and yes you will be street racing. Your call will be taken away and you will likely get one fat ticket or jail time. I'm not calling you a "spoiled little rich kid" because Camaro SS's are cheap. I just can't fathom parents who buy their kids cars they have no business driving--especially when they kill themselves or others--and then the parents wonder why that happend.

And for the sake of nothing lets do the "FinalGear" forums sign all over the place to see if this is your real car. Nothing personal.

I'm not going to neg-rep you or anything childish, but I will say this.
What is wrong is you passing judgement on a person you know nothing about other than their age. He could be the most responsible driver in the world for all you know. Yes, you can break the speed limit in this car. Easily. You can race it. You can do all sorts of stupid things in a Camaro or a Lamborghini or a Toyota. It all comes down to the simple choices of the driver.

If you know for a fact that he is an irresponsible douche who drives like a bat out of hell, then yeah, his parents have no business letting him drive a sports car. However, until you turn up such evidence. Keep your ranting to yourself, please.

The right thing to do is give him friendly reminders (like most other posters here) to keep it under control and within the limits rather than immediately crucifying him/his parents.

Last edited:
I dont think him losing control is nearly as big of a concern as him being 16 and having a loud rumbly fast car. It's SO hard to control that urge to just floor it and go. Even a level headed kid will be able to do that most of the time. But it's a VERY FAST LS1 Camaro. The minute he shows his new friends his car the first thing they're gonna say is "HOW FAST IS IT?!" And then when he's with a grl he's gonna want to shwo off. He's gonna want to show off every time some Type R-sticker type shows up with a fart can. It's not that he might just randomly lose control of it (unless it snows a lot where he lives) but that he will put himself into a situation where losing contrl is much more likely.

Whether he actually will or not, I dont know. But I know people twice his age that don't have enough self-restraint to cool it when they have an oppurtunity to "impress" somebody.

It's just about maturity levels, and at 16 the odds are that he's gonna make some silly decisions with it and drive it irresponsibly occasionaly, or maybe often. He may even get away with it. But he may not. And even though you can just as easily kill yourself in Civic, a Miata, or a towncar, teh fact that he's got an SS Camaro with a rumbly exhaust in the back and that changes how you want to drive considerably. It dramatically increases the odds that his impulses will get the better of his logic. Trust me, I've been there and done that. I havent gotten a speeding ticket since I was 16 (It was a big one, and it was in a little 4-banger truck, and I was just in a rush to get somewhere and wasnt paying attention and got a ticket for going 74 mph in a 45 mph zone. I lost my license for a while), but it was only because of that 1 bad experience that I'm as careful as I am on the road and that I was able to resist the urge to drive like a jackass when i first bought my camaro. It wasn't even fast when I first got it, but it had a V8 rumbling out the back of it, and it was all I could do not wind it out to 5000 RPMs on a lonely country road. And I was 22 at that point, not 16.

But he's got a 6-speed, and it's so much harder to drive a performance car slowly with a manual, IMO. They're a bit more unforgiving in inclement weather too.

Cool car man!

Can I have your drivetrain?

I have a feeling his car will end up as parts car within a few years. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Once you get a better set of wheels on it, let's get it to a track where you can push some of the limits in a safe way, as well as learn what high performance driving is all about.

Steve