?One in five? young UK drivers uninsured.

Depends on what hits you. Your best bet might be that a 19-year old in a Corsa 1.0 runs into you. But maybe you're unlucky and you get hit by a insured driver in a new car. A 1977 Land Rover may be heavy, but it's not the safest car on the road.

Last edited:
Old cars are the best way to get cheap insurance, I just paid ?550 for a year third party on mine.

I'm also ready for uninsured drivers, if one hits me who do you think will come off worst?

That seems to be the bext trick to "cheat the system" in the UK. Buy a classic car and get classic car insurance :)

That seems to be the bext trick to "cheat the system" in the UK. Buy a classic car and get classic car insurance :)

Similar here, I could insure an Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 for about 300 bucks a year.

To obtain a Road Fund Licence tax disc which by law has to be displayed on the windscreen you have to have a valid MoT certificate, valid Insurance certificate and pay at least 6 months tax, a year and you get a discount.

But using a system know as CUE (well that is what we send our data to) it is correct to say that a car without insurance can be clocked by the bogeys (Old London slang = Police) and a ticket issued - or even it can be taken to the crusher. You have two weeks to respond, you can get stopped by mobile Police too and picked up by fixed cameras additionally. You have to tell the DVLA if your car is "off the road" too.

Depends on what hits you. Your best bet might be that a 19-year old in a Corsa 1.0 runs into you. But maybe you're unlucky and you get hit by a insured driver in a new car. A 1977 Land Rover may be heavy, but it's not the safest car on the road.

I was thinking more about the damage, because if you get hit by someone without insurance, and you're on third party insurance yourself, who pays for the damage? Crumple zone against galvanised steel means I'd probably get away with nothing more than a couple of light lenses and needing to hammer the bumper into shape.

As far as injury goes, well that doesn't count, but the Cobra seats and 4-point harness should stop anything particularly nasty happening to me, and the sports steering wheel has much more give in it that the original.

I know where you're coming from though, shouldn't feel too safe.

Here, the damage caused by uninsured drivers is reimbursed from a fund that's financed from the fines collected from other uninsured drivers.