Unveiled: Volkswagen Golf R20 (lots o' pics)

A7XFan22

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/15/frankfurt-2009-volkswagen-golf-r20-is-our-kind-of-bolt-of-blue/Sauce

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_01.jpg

The Volkswagen Golf R32 had an small but dedicated fan base here in the U.S. It's 250 horses and road-gripping 4Motion all-wheel drive made for one sprightly Golf, but changing times calls for another approach for the R franchise. Our German friends at VW are using home field advantage at the Frankfurt Motor Show to announce the highly anticipated 2010 R20. The newest R-badged Golf will drop a couple cylinders and add turbocharging for motivation, but the AWD system will stay to keep all that power from being wasted at the front wheels.

The R20 will be reportedly be powered by a boosted 2.0L engine capable of 265 hp and 258 lb-ft, likely an exact duplicate of the engine of the Scirocco R20. World Car Fans says the new powertrain will make for a 0-62 time of 6.5 seconds with the six-speed manual, and 6.4 seconds with the dual clutch gear box. Those times sound pretty slow to us and are akin to what a standard GTI can manage, so we're guessing VW is sandbagging for now.

The R20 also has several aesthetic changes including a new front grille, LED daylight running lamps and plenty of fresh R-badging to let onlookers know this is no run-of-the-mill Golf. Also new are some gorgeous new rims that look to be of the 18 inch variety, and the interior receives some tasteful two tone treatments as well. We'll be sure to update you on all things R20 as official information from VW becomes available.
volkswagen-golf-r20-large_09.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_08.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_14.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_12.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_04.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_06.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_10.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_13.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_05.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_07.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_02.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_11.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_15.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_16.jpg

volkswagen-golf-r20-large_03.jpg

Last edited:
Yay from inside, too boring from outside :(
It just looks like an everyday golf, the Golf 4 R32 was wide and low with huge rims, the Golf 5 R32 was already unnoticeable :(

An Audi RS4 is ( kinda ) subtle form the outside, but you wouldn't say no because of that =).

I like these hot VWs..R32, R20, GTI's..just for my taste. Simple, fast, uncomplicated and 4WD ofc. :D

Last edited:
It has the same interior as the Scirocco R (bar the stupid door handle), but the front and back look like they belong to the same car. I approve.

I really like that. If it would get me lower payments than my G35, I'd almost trade the G35 in on the R20. Its just nice.

I want one. It's not flash, but you can tell it's serious. It's brilliant.

remove R-badges=WIN!!

I already love this car. It basically is an Audi S3 rebadged.

No. Just no.

Will be great, when and only when APR/BSH/Revo get a hold of it. Till then will be just ok/subpar.

I bet this is really fun to drive but then again, i think, it's not radical enough to be a proper R-version.

I like it, since the 200hp in the standard GTI can destroy the front tires way too easily.

The scirocco-style bodykit looks really bad on a golf if I'm honest.

Looks brilliant - not shouty, subtly aggressive, and classy. With a very healthy amount of performance. Yep, I'd be a happy owner.