[11x02] May 7th, 2007

I liked the episode quite a bit.
When Fifth Gear tries to "entertain" you is when they fall on their face. When they romp about in the cars/bikes etc is when it works.

I think you hit the nail on the head. The bit about oil was boring I think most watching the show know what happens with no oil in the motor. I wish they had a faster car for the bike vs car bit, i can recall the last bike vs car shoot out was mind blowing.

The chap in the jag needs respect because his the dude out of red dwarf :rolleyes:

Spikey hair chap has upped his game. His interaction with tom was good maybe pair them up for a review might turn out well

7/10

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I thought episode 2 was quite good. Didn't like the stunt driver stuff, the trial bikes or the review of the Alfa. As for the Alfa more info needed on this one. Someone mentioned roof speed on the Alfa which is totally true. What about boot space for your golf clubs? No it wasn't great.

I liked the Merc review as the new C Class is a fab looking car. The equipment looks great (mind you he was driving the C320 from what I saw). I wonder if the C180, if the new models have such a beast, will be as well equiped.....But it does look fab :)

The car & bike race was great too as they pitted the hot hatch VS the hot bike & FINALLY, and in fairness, the bike blitzed the car. That really made me say YES!!

The part where they drove an old knackered car without oil to see 'what happened' was obvious really. I thought it really sucked to drive an already knackered car into the ground knowing full well what would happen. I mean we all know what would happen without oil in the sump. Totally pointless & a waste of time.

All in all I liked the bits that were good (and there weren't that many). However the pointlessness of a lot of the stuff they still do is a big downer.

For me anyways this episode gets 5/10.

Last edited:
Tom and the Alfa - typical Tom funny and the review was good... shame the Brera and its topless sister are so undercooked.

Oil-less Hyundai - forgone conclusion, though it was interesting just how quickly (2mi) it completely seized up. would have liked to see an engine strip down to see the real damage, though that might have gone over the average punter's heads.

Trials bikes - unnecessary... i quite like trials.. to be honest their efforts were pretty lame in comparison to what some people get up to.

Civic Type-R + bike - god i hate these car versus bike things (and i'm a biker).... they're just pointless and only ever prove the same thing - cars have better grip in corners but get their arse served the moment the guy on the bike can open the throttle. i would have rathered Tiff reviewing the Type-R, which just looks sweet.

Merc - good review. don't know why everyone hates Johnny, I think he's pretty good, he's certainly more natural now... with the sexual Merc button stuff and figures i think he's trying to style himself as a younger James May... mind you, i'm pretty sure Merc engineers don't speak in thick English accents, so he needs to work on that.

Vicki pretending to be a stunt driver - painful, annoying, pointless... as usual.

D-Type - thought that was pretty good... obviously an amazing car, and Chris Barrie did an ace job... obviously it was scripted but you could tell he was really genuine about his passion for the car. Certainly the most convincing celeb to grace the show... my head still hurts after the Toby Maguire interview... 'ah er ah.. i drive ah... er... Priiiiius'. christ, i've seen more response from people ODing on heroin.

poor Tom... Tiff gets the babes and he gets VBH. no wonder he drinks. although she wasn't squawking like a hyena as much this episode as last, she still needs to go. FG seems to have gotten itself out of the hole it dug itself last season, and she's the only one holding things back. lose the cafe completely, let Tom host, stop putting Tiff on a pedestal and just let the man's driving do the talking, and hire that Sabine chick who's been on Top Gear with the N-ring stuff to replace Vicki.

Last edited:
Good episode, but not as good as the first. Car v Bike segments need to go, the stunts segments need to go, and the parking lot segments need to go. The reviews were all brilliant--all 2 of them? As usual Tom is a genius and reminds me...of...me. I like the spikey/messy hair guy. And his C-class review was tip top. Need Plato and Bentley! I give it a 80% rating. Still a billion % better than last season.

yeah average episode, 6.5ish.

I think everything has been covered by other posts, only thing I will say is that all the reviews lack any sort of conclusion. I was a bit pissed off they didn't do a proper review of the type-R, considering how the old model was their benchmark as a hot hatch.
Also the entertainy bits like the trails bikes. Fine, if they must have filler parts, please can they tell us something about the bikes, or chat to the riders for a bit. Rather than pretend to be funny.

I'm going to give the tested to destruction segment a bit more time, sure no oil was a no brainer, but there's plenty of room here to try something interesting. Unfotunatly I think it's going to be more lame filler.

Good episode.

I love Alfas, and enjoyed the Alfa review. Wouldn't go for a Spider myself though, the Brera or the Alfa GT would be my car of choice.

I sort of wasn't paying attention when the Merc review was on. All i saw was a weird sounding bloke almost at the point of orgasm over some buttons on a dashboard, and was talking about the amount of newtons it takes to push the button in. Uhhhh what?!

Best bit of the episode though was Chris Barrie in the D-Type. You can tell the man was obviously loving it. I have genuine respect for Chris as he really seems passionate about his machines. His show on Discovery is properly brilliant, and i think he'd make an excellent classic car reviewer. They should make such a section for him on TG or FG.

Discuss. No torrent talk please.[/QUOTE]

always piratebay i suppose (missed last weeks episode!)

Not as good as the first episode and I find myself skipping through a lot of it.

Did anyone noticed Tom's boner when he was talking about Alfa styling and Nicole Kidman :lol: And he said the car had ASR, VTS....DSG??!

The oil test was pointless and what a shame they had to destroy a running car.

Bike vs Car segments are getting old and annoying imo. I was hoping for a review about the new type-R, guess not. <_<

The C class segment was alright but Johnny seems to be implementing Clarkson's style of narrating. i.e. "good car....the end....No"

i really liked this ep. exactly what i expect from FG. C class segment was very good IMO, i liked the random way he talked about the force needed to push the buttons. but i'm a physics student 8)

liked the oil test but it was too short, kinda made it pointless. i wanted to see them try more than one car (maybe a diesel?) and not just give up.

bike vs car was good again, but it was clear the bike would win

great ep overall

Did anyone noticed Tom's boner when he was talking about Alfa styling and Nicole Kidman :lol: And he said the car had ASR, VTS....DSG??!

:lol:

The oil test was pointless and what a shame they had to destroy a running car.

They were cars from the scrapyard. They said it at the beginning so it didn't matter really.

I quite liked it. Even though it is obvious to us what happens to cars when you don't put oil in, it isn't to everyone. I was surprised at how little time it lasted.

Also, I think Johnny is getting better every episode. I think he is great.

Never been fan of bike v car segments.

its was nice to see toms c6 and vickis s2000 in the parking lot during the bike stunt.

I won't lie, I'm not the biggest fan of 5th gear, but this season isn't turning out to be all too bad. I didn't mind either of the two episodes at all, it's just that sometimes the presenters just seem to overact their parts.

I liked the D-type bit! :mrgreen:

I heard that intolerable Lovejoy wanker is gone from the show so I decided to watch again.

- Alfa Spider review was good, could have used some more information and camera work wasn't good. This is a beautiful car, don't film it with a shaking camera ffs!
- Driving the Lantra without oil is pointless if you don't disassemble the engine to show the damage. Anyway it's MUCH better then wreck my ride, which was completely pointless and they wrecked nicer cars then this rubbish Lantra.
- Civic Type R vs bike, the challenges were absolute rubbish and comparing a bike with a car is stupid. But it was nice to see the new Type R in action with Tiff behind the weel, I would have preferred an informative review though.
- Mercedes C-class was ok, he mostly talked about build quality and that's good because the build quality of the previous C-class was not on a Mercedes level anymore. I'm sure potential C-class buyers are very interested in that.
- Bike stunts were nice to see but out of place in a car show.
- The stunt film was shit.
- D-Type part could have been good if the bloke driving it would have kept his mouth shut.

I would give this episode 5 out of 10.

I have an idea for Driven to destruction next week:

Take SOMEONE'S Golf GTi or S2000 and run it without oil AND coolant. That should shut her up. I hate VBH so much now. Especially after this episode...

i liked it alot, don't know what the hell is wrong with you people

editing was a bit distracting, and the scripts weren't as good (lacking focus), but the content was spot on, i actually really want a C class now, and if it wasn't for that review i would have never batted a eye at the car (well when it comes out in the U.S. that is)

Last edited: