Just got it Saturday night: 2001 Mercury Cougar V6

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
Just got it Saturday night: 2001 Mercury Cougar V6.

While it's a 2001, it only had 35K on the clock. Sure it's the auto, but the manual on these cars suck anyways, so it's not much of a loss. It's like "No, sorry...you didn't win the lottery jackpot of a rancid shrimp and pickle sandwich."

The car doesn't even seem like it has 35K on it. Seriously, it feels like a brand new car. No, wait...it feels better than my last car did when that was new...although that was a 2002 Dodge Stratus...

While it's not the fastest thing on 4 wheels, it certainly feels great in the bends. The steering is tight, direct, and suprisingly communicative; and when you head into a turn, it certainly doesn't feel like you're in a top-heavy pontoon boat. It feels stable.

The interior quality surprised me, especially after renting the "new" Mustang a few times...which is utter shit. They could have photo-copied the Cougar interior, and it would have been better than the crap-tastic interior on the Mustang.

Note: this is the 2001 model, which received a pretty substantial interior over-haul. The 99 and 2000 weren't anything special (especially in the steering wheel department) but I think it all looks great.

It's a hatchback, so it's infinately more practical than my girlfriend's Civic Coupe, and the cop holder is a good 4" deep. Her cup holders in the civic can't hold a soda bottle without dumping it out under your brake pedal when you make a right turn.

Strange quirk: there is no clock in the center console: the only clock is in the speedo. That's not a big deal...just something that's strange. I mean...there's a "clock" button on the stereo, but it doesn't activate a clock...which means they actively de-activated this function, and conciously decide that the only clock would be above the speedometer. Strange.

Anyways: moonroof, alloys, CD & tape (tapedeck makes it super easy to hook up an iPod or any mp3 player) V6 w/ 170hp, power driver's seat, full-sized spare, spoiler, and a not-hideous red! (Rio red clearcoat). The frameless doors are cool...one of the things I really liked about the new Mustang...

Plus I've always loved the round Cougar logo...

IMG_3044.jpg
IMG_3052.jpg
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3053.jpg
IMG_3049.jpg
IMG_3057.jpg
IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3055.jpg
IMG_3072.jpg
IMG_3073.jpg

wiki says it is based on the mondeo platform.... you learn something new every day.

Oooh, nice car! I've alway liked the design of the Cougar (it was sold as a Ford on this side of the pond), and yours looks like it's in top-notch shape. The cougar-logos do make it look a lot cooler than with the bland blue oval. Have fun with it!

Looks like the Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) badge too:
http://img472.imageshack.**/img472/4986/hsvne3.jpg

Very nice car. It was one of those surprises from Ford that was actually quite good. I was just watching a review of that from an episode of Top Gear from 1998 and Clarkson quite liked it also, but concluded he'd prefer the Alfa coupe.

I must agree that it looks rather nice (although the interior lets it down slightly). Those break disks look worryingly small though. Even the disks on my dads volvo 940 look bigger than that. Oh and I love that logo :D

Looks very nice! Congrats!

they still sell this car?

it's been sold here as a ford, but like 10 years ago :?

Very nice car. It was one of those surprises from Ford that was actually quite good. I was just watching a review of that from an episode of Top Gear from 1998 and Clarkson quite liked it also, but concluded he'd prefer the Alfa coupe.

I can't seem to find any info on that episode. Would you have a date or Ep/S # for the episode? (or even a link to it). I'd love to see it.

I did find some interesting info while searching, though...

"The all-alloy V6 is one of the world's smallest and lightest V6 engines. The 24 valve engine was the first production volume powerplant to use the Cosworth casting process and features hollow, lightweight camshafts. It is particularly responsive in the upper rev range due to the calibration of the EECV engine management system and the dual-phase induction system"

Interesting...

Chick car? Yeah, probably. I mean, it's about as "hardcore" as a base Celica, or a Toyota Solara...but I still Like it. :)

And, it's TOTALLY the Thundercats' logo!!!! I used to love that cartoon...I always used to make Liono's sword with my Construx toys.

You can get the episode from some of the FTP's.

These cars were criticised here for the ride as very harsh and the handling not all that great. A friend had one and ended up hating it...but...still, I've always liked the look of them. It isn't really that bad is it?

That interior looks eerily similar to a Tiburon.

Actually, the best thing about it is the steering and handling. Direct, and flat. Terrific. It's certainly not a long-distance highway cruiser. You do feel the bumps...but it's "sporty." I do love the fact that it's a hatchback. It's come in very handy. Everyone I've shown it to seems to like the styling of it...which is nice. :)

Saw it on old Top Gear a while back and apparantly it handles very well. Don't know if it's the same for the US market ones. Nice car though. It seriously looks brand new that car.

I can't seem to find any info on that episode. Would you have a date or Ep/S # for the episode? (or even a link to it). I'd love to see it.
Sorry for the late reply.

Its episode "TG9810.avi" on Tweeke's FTP ;)

Is there any aftermarket for them? I get the feeling a few tweaks and it would look quite good. I just cant visualize it.

Always seemed like a neat car, but those bulges in the headlamps and tail-lamps always kinda threw me off. Then for no reason whatsoever Toyota copied they idea and put it to use on their Celica, why?