[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

[12x04] November 23rd, 2008

• Total voters
Gotta love it when they're letting the Stig loose in the "real world", i.e. outside the track.

My favourite scenes so far are Stig arriving via special delivery on the Isle of Man and Stig on holiday in Spain. They had me in stitches.
But Stig in Blackpool comes pretty close!
:lol:

always found the Stig in the London Challenge of Season 10 to be the best. Especially when he's sitting on the train, picks up the metro and reads about Lewis Hamilton. Even despite a lack of the face, they've done a really good job in bringing out the Stig's character.

Isn't it possible to wreck some types of engine by allowing them to run until they misfire from lack of fuel, as well?

No... but some older diesel engines won't start until you manually vent the engine... in most cases that was done with some silly ruber pump hidden somewhere deep under the bonnet... until someone came up with the idea of a self-venting diesel. Now all is well.

from what i've read, there was a time in history that the gauges were 100% accurate. but some reason, people didnt like it.
Actually, on my car (and from chatter on classic car meets i know that i am far from alone) the fuel gauge is that off that you better fill up when it still says you got a quarter fuel left or you'll run out....

Had to post this:

http://img370.imageshack.**/img370/8998/stigxg2.jpg
http://img370.imageshack.**/img370/stigxg2.jpg/1/w933.png

Who is that guy? He's the one drifting the Zonda before "James" showed up with the white helmet.

Could he be his Stigness? I can't recognize him.

Good points were raised about the skid control being left on in the Veyron. But, I thought that most supercars had adjustable levels of intervention for the electronics. Surely the Veyron has more than one setting for its Veyron Stability Assist Programme?

Did anyone notice the Bugatti had some body damage on the right side? At first it looks like just a shadow, but going around on the power lap, the other side doesn't have a matching "dimple" or dent. It's located right near the ground underneath the door, on the aerodynamic bit.

probably before they release the final version of the power lap they messed it up a bit, not surprised i didnt notice it

Good points were raised about the skid control being left on in the Veyron. But, I thought that most supercars had adjustable levels of intervention for the electronics. Surely the Veyron has more than one setting for its Veyron Stability Assist Programme?

You have to have the SAP on if you are going through even mild corners or it does this:

spin.jpg

Instead of fixing the chassis' tendency to spin, they simply programmed the SAP to keep it away from the limits. It's related to the problem the first generation Audi TT had, actually.

just because of the Zonda F Convertible and the Bugatti Veyron, i'd give it a 10. again, the challenges feel scripted, but other than that, the whole episode is, as usual, entertaining.

the problem i see is that the turns of the TG test track is too tight, so it's gonna slow the 2-ton Veyron down. also, i think this is the first time a soft-top is faster than the Coupe of an equivalent car. amazing that the engineer didn't need to strengthen the chassis of the Zonda F Convertible.

The shot at 2:33 just after James' pigeon comment, the fast shakey panning shot, was a fantastic idea. With everything blurring past, buildings flying by between the camera and the car, you got a proper impression of speed. Nice.

A similarly fantastic idea was putting all the beutiful ladies at the front of the audience for the interview.

Spectre; you're one guy that isn't an automotive engineer, VW employs thousands that are the best in the world. You can't just post three stills showing a spin and say it justifies your assertion. It's pretty damn presumptious to think you've somehow figured something out that the most capable car maker in the world couldn't. When VW ring you and offer you a job heading up development, I'll take that back.

Anyway we've seen Tiff go nuts with the traction control off, drifting it around beyong the "limits" quite competantly without it falling to bits and killing puppies.

Last edited:
I gave it a solid 8!

James should have been given more time i think.. They could have shortened the drive from Basel to Blackpool with a few minutes.

The news where recycled, and Harry wasn't bad as a return guest.

And about the Veyron: It's just to heavy and i like to quote Hammond on it's lap: It's the disappointing sound of understeer..
And when Tiff drove it without the aids you could still see that it was heavy and didn't really want to be driven fast.

Now bring on the CCXR and the ZR1 please!!! :D

The shot at 2:33 just after James' pigeon comment, the fast shakey panning shot, was a fantastic idea. With everything blurring past, buildings flying by between the camera and the car, you got a proper impression of speed. Nice.

A similarly fantastic idea was putting all the beutiful ladies at the front of the audience for the interview.

Spectre; you're one guy that isn't an automotive engineer, VW employs thousands that are the best in the world. You can't just post three stills showing a spin and say it justifies your assertion. It's pretty damn presumptious to think you've somehow figured something out that the most capable car maker in the world couldn't. When VW ring you and offer you a job heading up development, I'll take that back.

Anyway we've seen Tiff go nuts with the traction control off, drifting it around beyong the "limits" quite competantly without it falling to bits and killing puppies.

The pictures are from a pre-production model. There was one that spun at Laguna Seca and another at a high speed bowl I think.

the stig asleep on the roller coaster killed me:roflmao:. the race was pretty cool, i think it would have been better if they shortened it and threw some challenges in to mix it up a bit. good episode though

Tell that to Gordon Murray. He's the one that is on record as stating this, IIRC. I'm just paraphrasing what he said in a TV interview I watched. Perhaps you've heard of him. He designed an obscure little car called the McLaren F1.

When YOU design a car as good or better than the F1, you get to complain about what he said.

On the other hand, sometimes you *do* get some morons with more money than skill, like this dork:
[youtube]9OrXDiKe_c0[/youtube]
Though a longer wheelbase wouldn't have hurt... :evil:

Anyway, watch this 5th Gear segment with Tiff driving the Veyron. Check it out around 4:30 on - he tries to get it to slide with the Veyron's driver aids (EPS, as he calls it) on, but the car just ignores the throttle and pulls power out. With the EPS off, it's not exactly twitchy... but I didn't exactly see Tiff flogging it around the tight corners either.

[youtube]oC6reb73F1w[/youtube]

And don't take his comments about "it's got a well balanced chassis" to mean that "it's really stable", either. The first generation Viper has a well balanced chassis too, but in certain scenarios it really does want to kill you.

Last edited:
Tell that to Gordon Murray. He's the one that is on record as stating this, IIRC. I'm just paraphrasing what he said in a TV interview I watched. Perhaps you've heard of him. He designed an obscure little car called the McLaren F1.

When YOU design a car as good or better than the F1, you get to complain about what he said.

That's the 'argument from authority' logical fallacy. At least present it as a quote from someone, not as though it's an accepted consensus.

Murray puts the F1 above everything, if a car doesn't follow the ideology of the F1 then it is inferior to him. Though he does say the Veyron has more lag than he would like and that it's heavy and wide, he does say the handling is excellent.

http://img151.imageshack.**/img151/7279/gordonmurraytopgearveyrcl7.jpg
http://img151.imageshack.**/img151/gordonmurraytopgearveyrcl7.jpg/1/w1052.png
http://img209.imageshack.**/img209/7696/gordonmurraytopgearveyrku3.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.**/img209/gordonmurraytopgearveyrku3.jpg/1/w1140.png

That's the 'argument from authority' logical fallacy. At least present it as a quote from someone, not as though it's an accepted consensus.

<shrug> I'd disturb Keith Helfet and ask him via email, if I thought this was worth bothering him about (though I'm not sure if the last email address I have for him still works). He designed the XJ220, and has commented that the reason the 220 is so long (it has almost a meter of dead space between the end of the transaxle and the back of the car and has a really long overhang) is because the driver-aids-less 220 needs the length for stability while cornering at speed.

Besides, IIRC, I mentioned before that my source was Murray, back in the 9x04 discussion. :p I seem to remember you commenting on that thread as well, and I didn't think I needed to repeat *everything*, since you'd seen it before. :p Oh well, guess I can't expect that from a *Corolla* driver. :D :lol:

Murray puts the F1 above everything, if a car doesn't follow the ideology of the F1 then it is inferior to him. Though he does say the Veyron has more lag than he would like and that it's heavy and wide, he does say the handling is excellent.

I think the show I saw was the counterpart to that interview. He seemed to like the Veyron and was just commenting (on the show, I think it was one of those "Greatest" things the BBC cranks out, I'll have to go look and see if I still have it) that the chassis wasn't very stable.

Bugatti themselves say that without the rear wing, the car would spin out over 100mph - which implies instability. Source: http://i.abcnews.com/GMA/popup?id=1405184&contentIndex=1&page=12&start=false

One of the reasons that I'm so interested in this part of chassis dynamics is because in the conversion of the XJS to the XK8, something changed - the early X100 XKRs (one of which I used to own) tend to be a bit tail happy with the aids on, and a LOT tail happy with the aids off. It's not snap oversteer like the 'widowmaker' Porsche 930s, but it's definitely wanting to hang the tail out - which the parent XJS *didn't*. A bunch of people on the Jag forum I was on (including some actual retired chassis engineers from Europe and the US) spent quite a bit of time discussing chassis dynamics and how wheelbase vice track affects handling in various regimes. Bottom line from the guys who used to do it for a living - don't make a square car (one in which track and wheelbase are identical or near so) if you want to corner fast and stably. Of course, driver aids can change all that - its the same thing with the F-16 fighter. The F-16 is aerodynamically unstable; without the computers' flight inputs to keep the thing going where the pilot wants it, it's uncontrollable - but instability is the handmaiden of maneuverability. :D

Last edited:
You sound like a listener of Skeptic's Guide to the Universe. If you have no idea what I'm talking about please ignore this post.

I'm just watching the Wednesday repeat on BBC 2, and I hate to play little miss picky, but Richard introduced the race by saying "Last summer, we were asked to switch on Blackpool's Christmas illuminations".

erm...no you weren't, guys, you were asked to switch on Blackpool's annual/autumn illuminations - the well-known ones. The Christmas ones are switched on at Christmas. Later on, Richard referred to them as "Blackpool's famous illuminations", but I'm surprised the first slip made it through the edit.

To the people voting 9's, no way as good as the american ZR1 episode, come on.

Maybe those people gave that episode 10s? :|