ATTENTION! I would like a word with all TGA viewers!

bangalore

This letter was first published in TV Week - which for those who don't know, is the premier television magazine in Australia - in its talkback section on the June 27-July 3 issue:

"Top Gear Australia is just awful. As a mad fan of the British series, I eagerly gave the Aussie version a chance and wanted it to succeed - but it's time to call it a day, boys. James Morrison is no Jeremy Clarkson. Along with Warren Brown and Steve Pizzati, they all look nervous, their jokes don't bounce effortlessly off each other and they're just not gelling together as a team. Also, their testing racetrack is pathetic - it's poorly set up and doesn't push the cars to the limit or test them adequately."

The writer is credited as Stewie. Now, if Stewie knows about this website, or is even a member of it, can he please reveal himself?

I'd like to ask the rest of this forum's users, particularly TGA viewers, what they think of this letter to the editor and what they would say in response because I am actually thinking of, perhaps together, sending TV Week Magazine a response they can publish.

For those interested, my opinion of this letter is that the writer is judging this show before he gets to know it. The "bad bits" expressed in this letter are manageable problems, not things that should discourage SBS/Freehand/BBC Worldwide from making the show. If he doesen't like watching the show, he doesn't have to watch it. But please, let the people who DO like watching it...well...enjoy it.

Frankly, that letter sums up a lot of my thoughts about the show. I'm a supporter of it, and I want it to succeed, but it's just not working.

The show isn't great, but it's not terrible. Take a look back at the early seasons of Top Gear, heh.

I'd like the show to stick around if just for it to be something to watch when Top Gear isn't on.

Yeah, I agree with the letter writer somewhat,but I also think that (liker Viper said) this is what the first few seasons of theUK top gear was like (kinda). TGA Needs time...

This letter was first published in TV Week - which for those who don't know, is the premier television magazine in Australia - in its talkback section on the June 27-July 3 issue:

"Top Gear Australia is just awful. As a mad fan of the British series, I eagerly gave the Aussie version a chance and wanted it to succeed - but it's time to call it a day, boys. James Morrison is no Jeremy Clarkson. Along with Warren Brown and Steve Pizzati, they all look nervous, their jokes don't bounce effortlessly off each other and they're just not gelling together as a team. Also, their testing racetrack is pathetic - it's poorly set up and doesn't push the cars to the limit or test them adequately."

The writer is credited as Stewie. Now, if Stewie knows about this website, or is even a member of it, can he please reveal himself?

I'd like to ask the rest of this forum's users, particularly TGA viewers, what they think of this letter to the editor and what they would say in response because I am actually thinking of, perhaps together, sending TV Week Magazine a response they can publish.

For those interested, my opinion of this letter is that the writer is judging this show before he gets to know it. The "bad bits" expressed in this letter are manageable problems, not things that should discourage SBS/Freehand/BBC Worldwide from making the show. If he doesen't like watching the show, he doesn't have to watch it. But please, let the people who DO like watching it...well...enjoy it.

The author of that letter has made the mistake of directly contrasting the two shows. Placing Top Gear UK and Top Gear Aus side by side and saying which is better is completely illogical. TGA's only been here for a short little while, and they've come a long way in that time. TG UK didn't really hit their stride until series 3 or 4, something that will probably be replicated in the Aussie version too.

Doing a direct comparison of Clarkson and Morrison is like comparing a Jaguar and a Daewoo. The best thing about TGA is that they're developing their own style. It's no longer a watered down version of TG, but a proper show in it's own right.

Sure, it's not perfect (far from it), and they have a long way to go before they can gather Australia wide appeal, let alone an international fanbase, but I truly believe that they can do it. After all, if the UK Top Gear can evolve from a diabolical first series, why shouldn't the Australian version?

The points I would bring up in response to the letter:

a) The team seems to be gelling to me. It took a while for TG UK to really hit its stride, and the show in series 2 was very different from the show we have now. The chemistry was there, but it needed time to develop. And I think the same is true of TGA - to see a TGA presenting team that doesn't gel, all one needs to do is watch series 1. It takes time - the way Warren and Steve interact shows that they've had a bit longer working together, but James seems much more a part of things than Charlie ever did.

b) There has been a problem with the perception of the track from the off. I'm not sure that it's a bad track - it has bits for straight line speed and bits for handling - but that doesn't mean it couldn't be improved. It could do with being a bit longer, to be honest, but I wouldn't want them to scrap it and start again because I'm getting used to 'Clarkson', 'The Bus Stop' and 'HG's Up-and-Under'. And to be honest, it wasn't helped by the way the track was filmed in series 1 - but again, they're getting better.

c) I think he has a point about the material not bouncing effortlessly. Some of this could well be because the team hasn't completely gelled yet, but I think it would be worth the writers maybe easing up a bit, not having things quite so tightly scripted and letting the boys run with things a bit more. I was fortunate enough to be at Dunsfold on Wednesday and what struck me was how tightly structured the items actually are (one whole segment needed a second take because of a technical issue, and they were pretty much word-for-word, the sign of a structured, scripted and rehearsed show), but how, within that structure, each of the guys is at home with what they're saying and doing. It takes a lot of effort to make it look that easy. They clearly have a great deal of input into what they say, and they're not just parroting the words of an anonymous scriptwriter (although I occasionally do spot the hand of Richard Porter in the UK show ;) ). It is actually possible that TGA is a little under-rehearsed and that the guys haven't had enough personal input into the script, especially given that it's usually easier to remember lines if you've been involved in writing them yourself, and generally easier to deliver them with conviction too.

I think it's also worth remembering that although the ratings haven't been anywhere near those for TG UK, the audience figures are respectable for SBS. It's just a shame that they seem to be sliding as the season goes on, especially as the show in general has been getting better and better, and episode 2x05 could absolutely stand on its own. It's not perfect, but TG UK wasn't perfect in its second season either. I think if people can divorce it from the antics of Clarkson, Hammond and May and look at it as a piece of television in its own right, it's not doing so badly. And if SBS is willing to keep it going for another series, carry on taking it in the direction it's been going and most important to put it in a decent slot and to promote it properly, it still stands a chance.

And hey, if it's so awful, how come people like me are sitting here in England looking forward to downloading it?

i disagree with the letter on a few isssues, i like the test track, its not as if they just threw some cones on a runway and said thats it, it was designed by a racing driver.

As for the team, theyre no tguk, but its early days, and i have watched all seasons of tguk and the first 2 were cringeworthy.

My biggest complaint however is the station that runs it, IF ABC bought it from SBS the show would do much better because they wouldnt have to waste time on ad breaks, do pointless crappy advertisement of network stars and seem bias to advertisers.

Imported TV formats is something I've been banging on about for ages. The formula is pretty simple - if a large chunk of your target audience has seen the original, generally you'll be pushing you know what up hill. With widespread pay TV penetration & internet downloading, it's getting harder for producers to sell a "new" concept when clearly it isn't.

The initial mistake with TGA is that they tried to clone TGUK, right down to Charlie "Clarkson" Cox, & it simply didn't work. In series 2, they've gone away from the clone & are establishing a distinctive identity.

There's a perfect example of how to do it on Australian TV ATM. Masterchef has been around in the UK for ages, so when it was made for the Aus market, the UK version had been on the Lifestyle Channel & Lifestyle Food for ages, so they changed it dramatically & made it more combative. I don't particularly like the show, but it's different enough to the UK version to avoid direct comparison & boy has it flourished.

In regards to the test track, it has a major advantage over the UK track - it's not flat. There are off-camber corners, little rises & some very tight little runs. I dare say it's more of a thorough test than the UK track.

I've got to agree with Viper on this one too. First, the show is not awful. It has had it's difficulties, but I'd refute awful. This season has been entertaining and has, I think, finally found its own voice.

I am cautiously optomistic for Season 3.

Not sure if this warrants a new thread, but I think now is a good time to take stock of S2 and this thread seems as good a place as any.

First up, S2 > S1. The change of hosting lineup was a huge help, and whilst the lack of a central alpha male may have been unnerving for some viewers, I think it was a gutsy move that paid off very well.

Warren Brown should be very proud of himself. I was expecting him to be a better interviewer than Charlie, but I wasn't expecting him to be as good as he is, especially given how piss poor many of the guests (i.e. SBS contractual obligations) were this year. Actually, all 3 of the presenters have a lot to be proud of. Steve is really coming into his own with his reviews (the Elfin and GTHO are world-class) and James felt like he should have been there all along.

For the most part, the shooting and editing has improved again. This has always been TGA's strongest point, and it seems like they haven't lost their touch.

The challenges are getting better. Whilst some still seem to lose the plot half way through (Electric Car Challenge) or aren't given anywhere nearly enough time to get the best results (Old vs New 4x4, Outback Mail Run), when they work they work VERY well. The Armoured Car Challenge is proof of this.

Overall, I think Season 2 has acquitted itself well, despite what the ratings might have one believe. It still has work to go (as discussed in the Season 3 thread). Hopefully, if a third season is commissioned, Freehand/SBS will have a critical look at Season 2 and do more of what worked and less of what didn't.

That letter sounds like they watched S1, then simply changed the name from Charlie Cox to James Morrison, then re-submitted it.

The test track does irk me a little. The track's shape seems testing enough - I think it's the sheer amount of tyres, witches hats, and portable barriers littered all over the place which gives it the feeling the track could be assembled anywhere. I guess it feels cheaply done. TGUK had Lotus to design their track. Who designed TGA's?

Warren has been the real highlight for me since the beginning. Sure his humour is corny and a little cringe-worthy, but it's his own humour and style. Steve and James are really progressing into their roles well too.

Hopefully series 3 comes to fruition however the ratings of series 2 probably haven't put it in good stead. Perhaps the faults of series 1 have already killed it? Hope not.

Only things they need to improve for Series 3 are;

Music, some stories don't even have any... A good backing track will multiply the awesomeness of a story ten-fold!

Challenges, they need a injection of drama and traditional story telling elements

Apart from that I think the rest will fix itself with time (like on-screen chemistry etc etc)

If he doesen't like watching the show, he doesn't have to watch it. But please, let the people who DO like watching it...well...enjoy it.

iI downloaded and watched all of season/series(whatever they are called down under) 1 and enjoyd some bits, liked others but most of it wes pretty rubbish, so consequently I feel the second series is not worth my time either the 50 mins watching it or the bandwidth to download it even though I have been realiably informed that the 2nd is a damn side better than the 1st (could it even be on par with 1? is that even possible?).

I do however apprecate that some pple for whatever reason like it, but the sentiment of "if you don't like it, don't watch it" never ceaces to amaze me. TGA ratings for its time slot from what I have read on here are rock bottom, telling pple not to watch?. However it is the top rated on the network, is that such a big deal? when you consider 2nd is Mythbusters which is bought from the US while TGA is made in house with I image quite a large budget.

I do however apprecate that some pple for whatever reason like it, but the sentiment of "if you don't like it, don't watch it" never ceaces to amaze me. TGA ratings for its time slot from what I have read on here are rock bottom, telling pple not to watch?. However it is the top rated on the network, is that such a big deal? when you consider 2nd is Mythbusters which is bought from the US while TGA is made in house with I image quite a large budget.

TGA is broadcast on the smallest main free to air broadcast channel in Australia. SBS has never focused on pulling huge ratings or being the 'popular' network, instead they prefer to focus on broadcasting a huge amount of international tv, so they've gathered quite a 'cult' (I use the term loosely) following.

The fact is, SBS doesn't have the appeal that BBC has or the funding. They rely on advertising and self promotion to make ends meet (hence why the stars in the bog standard car have been SBS 'celebs').
To draw half a million viewers, especially when considering that the show is being broadcast in the same time slot as hugely popular US import shows on other commercial TV which dominate the market, and have a colossal amount of funding as well as being the 'popular' network, is pretty impressive. Obviously, they can't put on a spectacle like TGUK does, but I don't think they do that badly.

The show isn't great, but it's not terrible. Take a look back at the early seasons of Top Gear, heh.

I'd like the show to stick around if just for it to be something to watch when Top Gear isn't on.

Agreed.

I am not a big fan of the constant crude humor and "Aussie muscle > anything"-sentiment, not that TG doesn't do its share of crude jokes or pandering, but ever so often they show some finesse or rip into their own. Maybe I am just hypercritical, I suppose the presenters are a lot funnier if ones likes them.

In my opinion, the biggest issue with TGA is the absolutely microscopic of budget. The cheap car challenges are one of the best parts of TGUK, and SBS is not willing to spend money to do them in TGA. There was one cheap car challenge in series 1, but that was with non-roadworthy wrecks that were only used in two challenges. The challenges in TGA are hardly challenges, because they are never going against each other, again because I believe they can't afford it. For example, they did one amphibious car, rather than 3.

It is disappointing to see a programme with so much potential to be this restricted. It could be so much more.

The points I would bring up in response to the letter:

a) The team seems to be gelling to me. It took a while for TG UK to really hit its stride, and the show in series 2 was very different from the show we have now. The chemistry was there.....

b) There has been a problem with the perception of the track from the off. I'm not sure that it's a bad track - it has bits for straight line speed and bits for handling - but that doesn't mean.....

c) I think he has a point about the material not bouncing effortlessly. Some of this could well be because the team hasn't completely gelled yet, but I think it would be worth the writers.....

And hey, if it's so awful, how come people like me are sitting here in England looking forward to downloading it?

Well I agree with Wyvern, the points she made IMHO are spot on. :bow:

I'm shocked to even say it but when I was watching the 2nd ep of Fifth Gear a couple of weeks back I decided about 20 min in I'd prefer to watch TGA!

What that says about me I don't know but, TGA is gonna take time to mature.

Last edited:
I'm shocked to even say it but when I was watching the 2nd ep of Fifth Gear a couple of weeks back I decided about 20 min in I'd prefer to watch TGA!

same, i would watch tga over 5th gear anytime.

im glad it is on sbs, 7,9,or 10 would have dropped it half way through the first episode to show an old episode of some mid 90's sitcom.

but if it was on the abc i wouldn't have to fast forward through so many commercial breaks :lol: