Breaking news: Blast hit Norwegian government building in Oslo

I only just heard about this on the radio this morning.....it made me cry :cry:. I feels like nowhere is safe from crazy homicidal extremists no matter what their political / religious affiliation is. I'll just never understand it. R.I.P to those killed, and sincere condolences to their families. I hope Norwegian society can recover from this and doesn't fall into disgusting, useless finger-pointing.

Australia is with you guys.

My sincerest sympathy for those of you in Norway and especially for those who knew those killed.

I would suggest everyone in Norway to suspend their emotions concerning any action taken by the government. This is how the U.S. passed the Patriot Act, and how many governments through out the ages let themselves fall to dictatorships.

I live 20min from Oslo and our house shaked during the explosion...

I'd like to see a Norwegian cyclist win the Tour. Would be a bit of good news in the coming time of bad news.

We are more than happy enough with a week in yellow and 4 stage wins. :D

Last edited:
that tweet is bone-chilling. like a movie.

Agreed. The 362 people who are following him... what the hell.

Stay strong, Norway. Stay strong and pragmatic and you'll recover from this. What this shows, if it is this guy, is how slippery the slope is to extremism. His Facebook page provides a decent insight into his character. Here's a man with normal interests. He's politically minded, and loves to read (1984 being one of his listed books). You would not be able to tell that he's a deranged lunatic just from his Facebook page. He clearly has strong political views, but nothing on his page which says "I'm a psychopath."

Now look at his tweet.

"One person with a belief is equal to the force of 100 000 who have only interests."

Here, he'd clearly been inspired with a vision. His passion for his "belief" (his political views) had provided him with that vision. He'd allowed his "belief" to consume him to such an extent that he could no longer see the negatives of what he was about to do.

Ideas are dangerous. Don't let them eclipse reality.

It's 2 O'Clock in the morning, so sorry if this post made no sense. I'm not sure why I'm trying to do a psychoanalysis on this guy when I should be asleep. My point is, I guess, is it's a tragedy for everyone; for the perpertrator as well as the victims. Monsters deserve our pity for being what they are.

A sad day, the date of which will hopefully never disappear into the fog of history and never be forgotten.

I am confident that justice will be done in the end.

Steve

I must commend the Norweign police (or whoever is handling the case) Less than 24 hours and they already have someone down.

The director of the Norwegian police force say the death toll at the summer camp is at present 80 (eighty).

Combined with the current cassualties from the bombing, that puts the total death toll at 87 at the moment.

I'd like to thank all.the wonderful people who send their support in this hour of deep distress.

Just so everyone is clear on this, the assailant was a nationalist, well read and educated businessman. He is 32, and Norwegian. It is probably safe to say this hasnothing to do with Islamic terrorism.

I have to say, a lot of people on the web in Norway has put the responsibilty squarly on muslims. If anything, this illustrates the dangers involved in speculating before one has the full facts.

According to a mate on a laptop, the record for shooting sprees was set in 82 in South Korea with about 62 killed. A very poor record to hold.

The director of the Norwegian police force say the death toll at the summer camp is at present 80 (eighty).

:shock2:

My god, I'm so sorry for the nation of Norway. No one deserves such a thing.

it looks like reports have been confirmed, i have searched the thread but didnt find this so ill post it:

Confirmed from undisclosed (not supposed to speak to the press yet) source he acted alone so more like the Oklahoma City thing and that atleast 87 dead at the camp. He walked in there dressed as a policeman and started shooting. Read at your own discression as it explains some real terror.

Links:
CNN
FOX

The good thing is its over. Its unreal.

Last edited:
I have to say, a lot of people on the web in Norway has put the responsibilty squarly on muslims. If anything, this illustrates the dangers involved in speculating before one has the full facts.

This begs the question. Is this man a terrorist and was this a terrorist attack? Because when various news outlets were asking if this was a "terrorist attack" I got the distinct feeling that they were really wondering if muslims were behind it.

Some of the reading suggests anti-gov. I really do feel its the new "Oklahoma City" if you will. It really made me think about that after the first pictures came out today and it was confirmed in my mind after i heard about the camp, then i read and they are very sure. Its hard to say when some of us are thousands of miles away so lets see what the news in Oslo and the people there have to say.