Bugatti Prediction

Bugatti Prediction

• Total voters

Ventura6

Clarkson pleaded to the public in this most recent episode for a generous donor to let The Stig take his/her car out on the track for a lap run. I predict this will happen within the next two episodes.

I further predict it will be the fastest road car to ever go 'round with a blazing time of 1 minute, 16 seconds, dead.

It will eventually get round to The Stig, so what kind of track time do you guys think it will lay down?

It's really hard to say. I've heard bad stuff about it's track performance. If you take a look at the Nuerburgring production car records you'll see the Porsche Carrera GT is quite a lot faster. The Top Gear test track does have a lot of good clean straights though.

Really hard to say, but I'm optimistic. I'd say it could do under 1.15, the DBR9 really surprised me with a 1.08, although it is a Le Mans racer...

Who thinks we will see a Veyron go round the track? I wonder how many Veyron's there are in the UK anyway.

Well, it's quite a heavy car and even though it has all that power, I don't think it will beat the current record. It's pretty hard to say really how it corners, it's a heavy car but with a lot of power so you could improve the situation with a bit of a slide but then it's AWD so... It's a tricky one.

Hope someone lends TG a Veyron so we can settle this.

This really is the big automotive question. I like how no matter what all the motoring mags say about it, the only real benchmark were all willing to believe is the top gear test track. Please someone donate their car.

I'm with you Ventrua6 1.16 or slightly under. I think it will be good in the corners but the straight line speed is epic, I kind of imagine a lap like the corvette, not the tidyest, but bloody fast.

Less than 1:15, yes it is heavy, but 0 to 60 in 2.5 sec....that's plenty to make up for the weight.

I don't know - it isn't a very high speed track - I think that wieght is going to kill it. Its worse breaking, and having to take the corners slowly. You can kind of see it with the laps of all the top cars (except the atom) the track isn't big enough for big high speed car to really stretch their legs. I mean it won't be slow - like I'm imagining like a 1.18, making up in acceleration what the MC12 and Enzo have in corners. But there is a reason why F1 cars put an emphasis on lightness over 1000+ hp. I thinks its more of a MEGA GT car (along with being an engineering milestone, a work of art and a museum piece) - not a race car.

Aside - I think if the stig gets his hands on it, they'd want him to take it a bit easy on the car, so its not going to be maximum force.

Well the Zonda F weights 2 712 lbs, the Veyron weights 4162 lbs. And the volkswagen Bugatti is 4wd.
Hence a couple of problems:
1) I doubt you can do a proper high-revved start due to enormous torque which would just rip the driveshaft or the gearbox apart (well in case the box has some sort of hydro transformer it'll be quite safe, yet you'll lose the torque). I know, 2.5 seconds is the claimed 0-60 time, yet i believe you'll have problems achieving that.
2) Earlier braking, as kinematic energy is higher.
3) Possibly slightly lower cornering speeds due to higher mass, again.

I reckon 1.17+.

Oh, and i know none of the technical terms mentioned above so it's really fun to have a dinner with me :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thinks its more of a MEGA GT car (along with being an engineering milestone, a work of art and a museum piece) - not a race car.

I was never ever bowled over by the pictures of the Veyron. I saw one the other day and thought it was a Continental GT or a Flying Spur. I was totally unimpressed. It also does 4 MPG. FOUR!

It's probably the biggest waste of money I've ever seen, for the Volkswagon (if Jeremy's crazy claim is correct) and the buyer.

But as for the lap, I really think it will break the Track record. You have to remember it's phenomenal accelleration, the cornering really doesn't matter too much. It shits on the acceleration of any other car in speeds 60 MPH upwards. This really is going to be interesting. SO FUCKING SOMEONE LEND THE STIG YOUR VEYRON

Last edited:
> 1:17

The Veyron is heavy. Very heavy. This is the reason why Bugatti won't let TG have one round the track. Because they're gonna be fooled by everyone.

It also does 4 MPG. FOUR!

It's probably the biggest waste of money I've ever seen, for the Volkswagon (if Jeremy's crazy claim is correct) and the buyer.
1. You don't understand the point of this car
2. It does not always make 4 mpg, it can use much less (although not to the extent you and I are used to I guess)

The Veyron is heavy. Very heavy. This is the reason why Bugatti won't let TG have one round the track. Because they're gonna be fooled by everyone.
Yeah. If Veyron would get the top spot with its hands down Bugatti would give one for Top Gear to test, but they probably are afraid of it not doing that. Atleast they are not 100% sure of it.

> 1:17

Exactly, I was thinking the same thing, There clearly must be a reason why the veyrron has not gone round the track yet, and I think that is the reason. The hype about the 0-60 times and top speed is great, it makes the car look number 1 in its class, but sadly, I think it will not be the number 1 on the TG track and to save the disappointment, that is where they will not allow it to go on the track

It should be fastest, but that really depends on the brakes ironically because the stig won't want to crash an 850k car.
I hope someone lends them a car but i see it as unlikely as they do cost a lot and top gear does not have a brilliant record of keeping the cars in a pristine condition.

If any mod can change my poll options, that would be great. The way I have it, many times, such as 16 seconds flat, have two options, option 3 and 4 for that time. If it could be made to say this, I think it would be more fair...

1) <15
2) 15 - 15.4
3) 15.5 - 15.9
4) 16 - 16.4
5) 16.5 - 17
6) > 17

If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

I I was totally unimpressed. It also does 4 MPG. FOUR!

Enlighten me.

That's like saying the space shuttle is a total waste of money because it uses 535,000 gallons/2.1million litres of fuel to leave the atmosphere and costs millions of tax payer's dollars.

Oh, it can go into space and further research our understanding of the solar system?... No that's not important.

Last edited:
I said around 1:16... The real impressive stat isn't so much that it can do 2.5 0-60, but how fast it gets to around 150. With all the torque of that engine, and the HP it has once spooled up, it should be able to pull out of every corner harder than any other car they have ever tested. If I remember the Zonda's HP correctly, the Veyron still has a better power to weight ratio. Match that with much more torque, better aerodynamics, and AWD, it should do well.

Enlighten me.
Sure!

I've been in a lot of discussions about this car in the past, and I must confess that it were mainly those who helped me to get to the point of the Veyron. At the beginning, I didn't like it. I thought it was another of those useless supercars, throwing around huge numbers to impress the rich and easy minded. But learning about the history of how it was born, and seeing it in action (not IRL, I'm talking about videos), it grew on me, so much that I love this thing now.

So anyway, the birth. Ferdinand Piech, the head of VW at the time they bought Bugatti, asked his engineers to make a car that goes beyond 400 kph (250 mph) and has 1000 or more hp. With this milestone, he wanted to bring the rusty badge back to new life with a big bang. Many said it could not be done, at least not with the already chosen looks. Reaching those speeds would require very carefully chosen components and designs. However, they had to stick to it, and it seems they archieved it in the end.

So what is the Veyron, and why is it there? Is it just a marketing gag? The Japanese can generate 1000 hp and more with 6 Cylinders, so why 16? The Americans get 1000 hp out of 6 litres and less, so why 8? You can buy a Hennessey Viper, which has even more grunt, for a fraction of the Veyrons price, so why buy the Bugatti? Why did VW make it, if it all was there before?

... easy: because they were able to. The Veyron is a car that was supposed to (and obviously does) show what is possible in terms of a complete package. Yes, you can get cars with more hp out of less displacement and cylinders - but it won't be as smooth. Yes, you can get cars that go around corners faster, brake harder and use less fuel. But you'll never find a package as complete as this. Great comfort, almost unlimited power delivered smoothly and seamlessly, and - at least theoretically - every day useability. VW made a car that outclasses the majority of existing cars in almost every category, yet, you'll be able to go shopping with it, just like in a normal car.

Do we need that? No, we don't. But what do we really need? Sunlight, air, a bit of water and food from time to time - that's it. But if we get down to that level, who needs a car with 75 hp, 45 would do the job just as fine. You'd probably have a harder time getting on the Autobahn or overtaking someone, but you'd get along just as fine. In these terms, we don't need the Veyron, but at the same time, we don't need all the other comforts as well.

This Bugatti was made to show what can be done, and although you can beat it in single disciplines, you will have a damn hard time to beat it in all of them. Even if you hate it, you must admit that it is a masterpiece of engineering, and therefor deserves its place in the automobile hall of fame and in the mind of every petrolhead.

Enlightened now?

Regards
the Interceptor

Sure!

I've been in a lot of discussions about this car in the past, and I must confess that it were mainly those who helped me to get to the point of the Veyron. At the beginning, I didn't like it. I thought it was another of those useless supercars, throwing around huge numbers to impress the rich and easy minded. But learning about the history of how it was born, and seeing it in action (not IRL, I'm talking about videos), it grew on me, so much that I love this thing now.

So anyway, the birth. Ferdinand Piech, the head of VW at the time they bought Bugatti, asked his engineers to make a car that goes beyond 400 kph (250 mph) and has 1000 or more hp. With this milestone, he wanted to bring the rusty badge back to new life with a big bang. Many said it could not be done, at least not with the already chosen looks. Reaching those speeds would require very carefully chosen components and designs. However, they had to stick to it, and it seems they archieved it in the end.

So what is the Veyron, and why is it there? Is it just a marketing gag? The Japanese can generate 1000 hp and more with 6 Cylinders, so why 16? The Americans get 1000 hp out of 6 litres and less, so why 8? You can buy a Hennessey Viper, which has even more grunt, for a fraction of the Veyrons price, so why buy the Bugatti? Why did VW make it, if it all was there before?

... easy: because they were able to. The Veyron is a car that was supposed to (and obviously does) show what is possible in terms of a complete package. Yes, you can get cars with more hp out of less displacement and cylinders - but it won't be as smooth. Yes, you can get cars that go around corners faster, brake harder and use less fuel. But you'll never find a package as complete as this. Great comfort, almost unlimited power delivered smoothly and seamlessly, and - at least theoretically - every day useability. VW made a car that outclasses the majority of existing cars in almost every category, yet, you'll be able to go shopping with it, just like in a normal car.

Do we need that? No, we don't. But what do we really need? Sunlight, air, a bit of water and food from time to time - that's it. But if we get down to that level, who needs a car with 75 hp, 45 would do the job just as fine. You'd probably have a harder time getting on the Autobahn or overtaking someone, but you'd get along just as fine. In these terms, we don't need the Veyron, but at the same time, we don't need all the other comforts as well.

This Bugatti was made to show what can be done, and although you can beat it in single disciplines, you will have a damn hard time to beat it in all of them. Even if you hate it, you must admit that it is a masterpiece of engineering, and therefor deserves its place in the automobile hall of fame and in the mind of every petrolhead.

Enlightened now?

Regards
the Interceptor

I like that idea, of the Bugatti being a complete package. Maybe there is something to it.

What I really don't like about the car is the extreme price tag. It's really insulting, most people wont even make that much money in their entire lifetime.