BYD Seal AWD is not all-wheel drive

So the conclusion of those two videos is it wasn't AWD, but they updated the software and now it is. Worrying to think that lots of people could be driving around in cars that won't perform as expected, but it's just an OTA update right? Right?

I guess BYD kind of counted on the fact that most people don't need AWD anyway and don't know how it works. Honda did too when they shipped a CR-V with useless AWD some years back. Teknikens Värld put it on the rollers and called their bluff.

I drove my old 4x4 Insignia without AWD for a week or so while waiting on Haldex parts. A very snowy week it was. Broken AWD turned an excellent winter car into a slow understeery pig that couldn't get away from the lights properly. In other words, how FWD insignias are, I assume.

So the conclusion of those two videos is it wasn't AWD, but they updated the software and now it is. Worrying to think that lots of people could be driving around in cars that won't perform as expected, but it's just an OTA update right? Right?

Shouldn't be allowed to get away with just that.

How many reviews have there been that never discovered this flaw?

They should have to recertify the vehicle with the regulator and check that update is working on each vehicle.

Shouldn't be allowed to get away with just that.

How many reviews have there been that never discovered this flaw?

They should have to recertify the vehicle with the regulator and check that update is working on each vehicle.

Agreed. A common issue with Volkswagen T4 Syncros is prop shaft related and you can’t get parts. A new shaft costs the value of the van. What you can do is unbolt the shaft and remove the Syncro stickers. It will become FWD and be technically no different from a normal one. But it will fail inspection because it doesn’t have the same number of drive wheels as it’s registered with.

Agreed. A common issue with Volkswagen T4 Syncros is prop shaft related and you can’t get parts. A new shaft costs the value of the van. What you can do is unbolt the shaft and remove the Syncro stickers. It will become FWD and be technically no different from a normal one. But it will fail inspection because it doesn’t have the same number of drive wheels as it’s registered with.
Same as the Freelander, similar issues but it'll still pass the MOT without the rear prop because we aren't strict about that over here. Mine's had two MOTs since buying it and not even a comment.

It should be rectified, but this is a Chinese company so what do you think the chances of that happening are? This is where we'll see if Chinese EV companies can match the western ones.

Weird. If it's something software related and thus an easy fix (no recall and parts/labour needed), I'm surprised it didn't come with this preinstalled?
Perhaps hidden behind a menu setting (like "standard" is the way it is now and "AWD/offroad" mode engages all the wheels properly.

TBH, I guess this won't be an issue for most drivers, as the majority of people don't get proper winter and thus don't need proper AWD anyways.

(I expect to be pwned by Scandinavians and Canadians because of my ignorance)

TBH, I guess this won't be an issue for most drivers, as the majority of people don't get proper winter and thus don't need proper AWD anyways.

(I expect to be pwned by Scandinavians and Canadians because of my ignorance)

You don’t really need proper winters to… maybe not need awd on a daily basis, but you will absolutely be able to tell the difference. Things like losing traction on wet road markings when you’re giving it the beans, or accidentally peeling out of an intersection because you are used to just be able to gun it and not care. An AWD car just does what it’s told with no traction issues.

Can you tell I like my AWD? 😅

You’re absolutely right, it makes a massive difference, but as you said, you CAN survive without it. Just being able to floor it and not having to care about the conditions is just a form of luxury

You’re absolutely right, it makes a massive difference, but as you said, you CAN survive without it. Just being able to floor it and not having to care about the conditions is just a form of luxury

In exactly the same way that driving instead of taking the bus is a form of luxury.