Dumbest thing you've done in a car.

i drove my last car like a mad man, and it subsequently fell apart piece by piece over time. but i don't regret it, i just bought another one and drive it like a mad man as well. not dangerously so, at least not for other motorists, i just can't be bothered to be careful with my suspension, brakes and engine. considering the cheapness of my motor, i think it's worth it.

the stupidest thing i've done is rather sensible compared to some of your stories, with my last car, i was on a big playground of a car park on an industrial estate and did some handbrake turns, j-turns and that sort of thing, when the handbrake handle came off (and when i say it came off, i mean i ripped it off), bought a new cable, put it back together and all was well again.

I did that with my Bantam, broke the handbrake cable in the first month, and again 7 month later. :mrgreen:

Handbrake turns are solely reserved for slippery surfaces.
You just have to try harder. :cool:

For about a year I drove the hell out of a '86 Celica GTS. I was probably watching too much WRC at the time. I destroyed the front struts, broke a CV joint, went through 3-4 tires (puncture flats), broke a sway bar end link, had to completely overhaul the brakes, and eventually blew a headgasket.

Wow, I even found a picture of it ...
Celica002.jpg

As punishment for destroying such a fun little car, I was stuck in Ford hell for a year.

It's not for lack of trying, just out of compassion for my car :p

I haven't really destroyed anything on the Mazda due to stupidity. I might have hastened the end of the first set of studded winter tires, though :lol:

Driving in dark with ice on the passenger side of the windscreen. Visibility was erm... low. I nearly drove over a bicyclist.

Last edited:
I have gone spinning off the interstate in two different cars pushing the limits of grip while raining - no damage on either incident.

In my goat I was drifting on a round-a-bout and starting my second go around I messed up and flipped around into the curb - $9000 in repairs (entire suspension on the left side had to be replaced both wheels were destroyed etc etc)

I don't full out drift anymore as I cannot afford it.

Hmm was that roundabout over by the Ballpark and Siemans???

it was a gravel surface, that's how i got the idea in the first place :)
should've said

"puts on protective suit"

Probably driving 120kph on the Hwy while smoking a joint and eating a fudgesicle and trying to talk into a phone at the same time.

never again though, I hate trying to use a phone while driving :lol:

but seriously though I understand what can happen (jeffy777 for example)
and I'm careful.

dumbest thing....hmm tough to choose I was a DUMB KID....in my friends car..Hilljumping while shooting fireworks out of the car..we learned 80MPH is too fast over the hill, as soon as we crested the hill, another car came from the other way, honking swerving, and flashing their high-beams..which blinded my friend who was driving, we hit the ground, he lost control and we came within inches of slamming into a tree.

in my car...first night I got my M3...137 in a 35...but my front tires werent rated for over 120, and the front left tire began to shred at roughly 128

and let me tell you I will never do that shit again, im lucky im not 6 feet under right now.

"puts on protective suit"

Probably driving 120kph on the Hwy while smoking a joint and eating a fudgesicle and trying to talk into a phone at the same time.

never again though, I hate trying to use a phone while driving :lol:

but seriously though I understand what can happen (jeffy777 for example)
and I'm careful.

i was cought using a phone while driving a few days ago, but the police didn't seem to mind, they even gave me a point. well, could've been worse, i think you get three points in the uk.. mad, i can smoke while driving, retune the radio, talk to passengers, use my satnav, but take a phone call and you get nicked.

i was cought using a phone while driving a few days ago, but the police didn't seem to mind, they even gave me a point. well, could've been worse, i think you get three points in the uk.. mad, i can smoke while driving, retune the radio, talk to passengers, use my satnav, but take a phone call and you get nicked.

Where I live, (newfoundland) It's illegal to use a phone while driving, even if you have a car phone in your center console :|

I can't complain too much though, it is pretty distracting

Where I live, (newfoundland) It's illegal to use a phone while driving, even if you have a car phone in your center console :|

I can't complain too much though, it is pretty distracting

Mythbusters did a test and showed it's as dangerous as driving drunk, which is quite believable since most people on the road I pass that are driving like an idiot are on their phone. I try to avoid using it when driving.

My approach to the whole "talking on the phone while driving" issue is more like "why are you bothering me? I'm driving."

Dumbest thing I've ever done in a car...

2 things:

The first one was setting up the stereo too much carefully... and not look at the road while doing 90 kph or so. I failed to notice an incoming sharp bend in front of me and ended up in the nearby ditch. My luck was that I wasn't too distracted and managed to reduce the speed enough to only gently step off from the road into the ditch. I needed a tractor to pull the car out, and I simply drove home, even though I had to change the car because I had bent the chassis (old car and not worth repairing).

The second was misjudging one of my friend's driving skills and let him drive my car on my graduation day, because I was tired. I failed to notice that this was a terrible mistake until he crashed into a Porsche Carrera 4s.

I failed totally to discern that the puddle in the road in front of my car (in the sig) wasn't a puddle but a car-eating pool of doom. I hit it at 30mph and still created a bow wave with the hood. The guy with the flat-bed style tow truck had fun tilting the car up to 60 degrees and watching water drain out of it...

We did get it to work, however.