Forza Horizon

I also had a go on the Demo today.

-Physics are okay and may work well for that concept, but FAR away from Forza 4 - in my book this is pure arcade even with assists turned off...

-Graphics seem completely blurry for some reason - looks way better in the screenshots. I remember a similar Problem with Race driver GRID, on PC you could "hack" the game and turn that effect off, which I liked way better then. Maybe the full Version will have settings for it...

-Audio: Engine Sounds seem more generic than in Forza 4, and I really hope there will be about 10 times more tracks on the Radio station, played the Demo for one hour and "Everyday" came on 4 times...

All in all I absolutely can't tell if the game will be able to entertain me or not, there's just too much missing right now - It _could_ be good, but it also could suck^^

Physics are not Forza 4, but on expert settings it was ok. The way you fly over the roads the game would possibly be too hard with normal physics, or at least you would have to play differently.

The off road driving is far, far too grippy though, basically exactly the same as on road. I find it hard to see distant objects for some reason.

And the Evo X is boring to drive :lol:

Overall.... meh. I'll buy it when the price drops a bit and it will be fun, but it will be beaten and forgotten.

While I had fun with it, I'm sticking by what I said and I'm going to wait.

Victor is dead on about the off road. WAY to grippy. It actually slowed me down at first as I expected a much looser surface. I was braking far too soon. This is with "simulation" on and all the baby sitters turned off.

Fun, yes. $60? No. There are WAY to many other games I want to drop my cash on before this one.

I actually quite like this game after playing the demo. Yeah, the off road sections feel like they have way too much grip, and the physics don't seem to match perfectly to Forza 4 while on road, but it is its own game. I would have to agree with thevictor's statement about it possibly being really difficult to drive if the physics were the same as Forza 4. Also, (with as much AI bashing that there is) I actually like the AI during races. They seem way more aggressive than in Forza 4, and they don't just slam on the brakes if you cut them off. I really found it fun to just drive around real fast in free-roam simply because there was no track, although the traffic seems to be made out of some sort of futuristic super-light material. I was able to just knock cars out of the way like it was Burnout or something of the sort.

For sure I will end up buying this, but as to when is still in question because of all the stuff I have going on that's school related.

Side note: Did anyone else notice that the guy on the discount signs looks a lot like Stephen Colbert, or am I just going crazy? :lol:

It probably would be really hard with full-on physics on open roads, but it would be a really cool challenge. And proper sim physics on open roads is also something that hasn't been done before. I completely understand why the devs want to make things more arcade in this particular title, but it would be fun if there was an option to get the sim phyics enabled for the advanced players who don't mind a challenge.

I'll be waiting to get my hands on the demo for another week. Still not impressed with XBL's way of not giving free demos to non-premium members until later...

Side note: Did anyone else notice that the guy on the discount signs looks a lot like Stephen Colbert, or am I just going crazy? :lol:
I thought it was Steven Baldwin! :blink:
Also, I can tell you right now it's too arcadey, when in two of the rivals challenges, I was able to come close to your times. :lol:
Also, to me, it feels like a mix of NFS Pro Street with the Horizon Festival, and NFS Most Wanted with the free roam driving. Which is probably why everything felt all too familiar...

Last edited:
So I played it yesterday. I actually liked it. Only complaint: When the car oversteers I usually apply too much countersteer. Still, my preorder stands!
I agree about the grip level on dirt, I went into the corners way too slow at first. Also, we need separate settings for FFB on dirt and asphalt. Way too strong on dirt!
I play with Sim steering and all the helps except ABS off. Fanatec PWTS with Clubsport Pedals.

Does anybody know how to play with the mustang or viper in free roam?

I thought it was Steven Baldwin! :blink:
Also, I can tell you right now it's too arcadey, when in two of the rivals challenges, I was able to come close to your times. :lol:
Also, to me, it feels like a mix of NFS Pro Street with the Horizon Festival, and NFS Most Wanted with the free roam driving. Which is probably why everything felt all too familiar...

Lol, I was still getting used to the feel of the game for the rivals events. I did manage to beat GT-R's rival one with the viper, and he is usually pretty fast too. That being said, check out some of the speedtrap ones and see if you can beat my records there :lol:

So I played it yesterday. I actually liked it. Only complaint: When the car oversteers I usually apply too much countersteer. Still, my preorder stands!
I agree about the grip level on dirt, I went into the corners way too slow at first. Also, we need separate settings for FFB on dirt and asphalt. Way too strong on dirt!
I play with Sim steering and all the helps except ABS off. Fanatec PWTS with Clubsport Pedals.

Does anybody know how to play with the mustang or viper in free roam?

I completely agree with the FFB on dirt as well. Had to turn the settings down on my wheel to about half, but even then it didnt feel right. And as far as I know, there isn't a garage in the demo, so you cant change cars.

Last edited:
If you don't drive to the first event you can drive around in the Viper :)

Shame they tell you you get the Mustang but can't drive it outside the race...

Another thing I would like to see before buying the game would be the Tuning / Modifying, like what and how you can do it etc.

There was I think a close to complete version of Forza Horizon that was playable here at EB Expo here in Sydney this past weekend. Modifying the cars is the same as, if not, close to Forza 4 but as for adjustments we didn't find a menu for that. The car list was fairly cut down from Forza 4.

Finally got the demo downloaded yesterday (shitty internet connection).

I was very pleased with it! Granted, the Evo is boring as hell to drive, very safe and easy to drive.. Probably why they chose it for the demo.

However, the Mustang race was awesome. It is more arcadey than Forza, obviously, but I think they retained some of the Forza feel, while introducing some arcade element that work really well in this format. The Viper and the Mustang in particular were very entertaining to drive. I was more entertained than I've been in the last few proper Forza games, if I have to be brutally honest.

I don't know if this is a day one buy, since I've got a few titles that I rate higher coming out, but it's definitely a game I'm going to have to own at some point. The one aspect I'm slightly worried about, is just the cruising around aspect.. In TDU it was fun to just mess around, enjoy the scenery. The scenery was a bit bland here. How much of the final game is this? How big are we talking?

And oh yeah, completely with you guys on the off-road thing.

The first 30 minutes of the game.

I want this game now. Viper, send me your copy :p.

I wasn't too impressed with the physics. However, it's not as bad as I thought it might be. I think a big problem is that the roads are pretty repetitive. Everything I experienced in the demo is just a series of very similar high speed sweepers. The rest of the map looks basically identical as well. The roads are consistently very wide and very fast, which I think exacerbates the feeling of the simplified physics. Basically, braking is not required very often, and there are no corners nor series of corners (that I've found) that really test the dynamics of the cars. The dirt sections mix it up a little bit, but it didn't feel appreciably different than driving on tarmac.

Aside from that, the game is decently fun, though I can't really see myself buying it. The drivable section of the demo feels 'small' and it's already a pretty healthy percentage of the entire map. I found myself getting bored after only about 10 minutes. I've never really been satisfied with an open world driving game...I think it's a pipe dream that just doesn't work, unless the game includes more than just driving (like GTA).

I finally got to play around with the demo a bit. At first I thought I was playing Burnout Paradise which isn't a bad thing because that game is a lot of fun. Both games look and feel very similar. I could also immediately tell this game is meant more for casual gamers than the usual hardcore racers that Forza has always catered to. The biggest clue was that I couldn't even hear my engine with the music playing so loud. I loved driving around at night! Everything just looks so cool! I was also happy to see the traffic cars so few and far between. Before playing I was worried that I would constantly have to weave between them and for me that gets real old real fast. A few cars here and there is nice though and I think they hit the perfect balance. And I had a huge smile on my face during the entire Mustang vs. Mustang race. I felt like I was in one of those unlikely Top Gear races trying to beat the plane to the finish. That was very fun!

This game will definitely be added to my collection very soon. :)

Tried the demo... Annoyingly, I have the same issue with the pad steering in this as I have with Forza Motorsport games; The game doesn't give enough steering lock and it's too slow to get to whatever it decides to give. It's impossible to do quick adjustments and you often end up waiting for the game to give you more steering lock mid-corner which is rather annoying.

Those criticisms aside, I like it and I'll probably get the game as soon as it's released. The combination of Forza physics and extra grip feels remarkably good. Full difficulty should provide a nice challenge...

Tried the demo... Annoyingly, I have the same issue with the pad steering in this as I have with Forza Motorsport games; The game doesn't give enough steering lock and it's too slow to get to whatever it decides to give. It's impossible to do quick adjustments and you often end up waiting for the game to give you more steering lock mid-corner which is rather annoying.

Those criticisms aside, I like it and I'll probably get the game as soon as it's released. The combination of Forza physics and extra grip feels remarkably good. Full difficulty should provide a nice challenge...

The game chooses the optimal slip angle and limits your at-speed steering lock to that angle. You won't turn better by turning more. It encourages you to drive more with your fingers which is what you should be shooting for anyway.

The game chooses the optimal slip angle and limits your at-speed steering lock to that angle. You won't turn better by turning more. It encourages you to drive more with your fingers which is what you should be shooting for anyway.

You won't turn better by turning more, but the problem is that because the game does not give you more lock you won't turn better by slowing down, either. You get x degrees of lock in turn-in, and that pretty much doubles at the apex, but I doubt the optimal slip angle would remain the same between those two points. Also, because the steering is slow mid-corner adjustments are very tricky to make because it takes half a second to unwind the lock and a full second to get the lock (whatever amount the game decides to give you) back.

For comparison, GT5 with maxed out sensitivity is very good on this (though not perfect). And that's annoying because in so many other ways Forza is far superior.

You won't turn better by turning more, but the problem is that because the game does not give you more lock you won't turn better by slowing down, either. You get x degrees of lock in turn-in, and that pretty much doubles at the apex, but I doubt the optimal slip angle would remain the same between those two points.

It's probably tuned for some wiggle room at low lateral acceleration so that it is possible to experience the "can't turn while braking hard" phenomenon. If the wheels limited themselves strictly based on a traction circle for both slip ratio and slip angle you wouldn't be able to pass any input to the steering during threshold or lockup. Compensating and allowing for human error on that part would give you more steering input than is reasonable to have at turn in, and a normal amount at the apex.

If you take a hairpin at 20 MPH instead of 40 MPH, will the car turn better (ie, be able to move further inside of the corner)?

So, I played hard for 2 days now, Forza 4 though, mind you ;-) Gotta get to level 50 to get the loyalty cars... I didn't really "race" but mostly drift the last months. But it was soo much fun. I hope I'll have as much fun with Horizon then...

BTW, the loyalty cars and the according level in Forza 4 you need to get em right off the start:
Level 01 ? 2011 MINI Cooper S
Level 05 ? 2011 Citroen DS3 Racing
Level 10 ? 2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
Level 15 ? 1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Level 20 ? 2008 BMW M3 E92
Level 30 ? 2012 Jaguar XKR-S
Level 40 ? 2009 Gumpert Apollo S
Level 50 ? 2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4

Also, the season pass thing has been cleared up: The expansion thingy will be offroad themed. I'm not really amped about that... And 6x6 car packs (which are 400 when bought separetly...)

///edit:

Car list!
Cars on the disc (only 127!!!)

2010 Abarth 500 esseesse
1968 Abarth 595 esseesse
2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione
2012 Ascari KZ1R
2011 Aston Martin V12 Vantage (Villa d?Este)
2010 Aston Martin One-77
2006 Audi RS 4
2010 Audi TT RS Coup?
1983 Audi Sport Quattro
2011 Audi R8 GT
2013 BMW M6 Coup?
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
2012 BMW M5
2012 BMW Z4 sDrive28i
2011 BMW 1 Series M Coup?
2008 BMW M3
1991 BMW M3
2012 Bentley Continental GT
2011 Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coup?
1967 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 427
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 409
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Coup?
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport
2011 Citro?n DS3 Racing
2012 Dodge Challenger SRT-8 392
2012 Dodge Charger SRT-8
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2012 Eagle Speedster
2002 Ferrari Enzo Ferrari
1987 Ferrari F40
1989 Ferrari F40 Competizione
2011 Ferrari 458 Spider
2005 Ferrari FXX
2009 Ferrari California
1995 Ferrari F50
1962 Ferrari 250 GTO
2010 Ferrari 599xx
2011 Ferrari FF
1957 Ferrari 250 California
2007 Ferrari 430 Scuderia
1995 Ferrari F355 Challenge
1996 Ferrari F50 GT
1984 Ferrari GTO
1987 Ford Sierra RS500 Cosworth
2005 Ford GT
2013 Ford Focus ST
2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429
1966 Ford GT40 MkII
2013 Ford Shelby GT500
1985 Ford RS200 Evolution
2010 Ford Focus RS500
2009 Gumpert Apollo S
2012 Hennessey Venom GT
2002 Honda Integra Type-R
2005 Honda NSX-R
2003 Honda S2000
2004 Honda Civic Type-R
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coup?
2012 Infiniti IPL G Coup?
2012 Jaguar XKR-S
1961 Jaguar E-type S1
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
2009 Koenigsegg CCX-R Edition
1997 Lamborghini Diablo SV
1988 Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV
2009 Lamborghini Revent?n Roadster
2011 Lamborghini Gallardo LP570-4 Superleggera
2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
2010 Lamborghini Murci?lago LP670-4 SV
1967 Lamborghini Miura P400
1974 Lancia Stratos HF Stradale
1992 Lancia Delta Integrale EVO
1986 Lancia Delta S4
2012 Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged
2010 Lexus LF-A
2009 Lexus IS-F
2009 Lotus 2-Eleven
2006 Lotus Exige Cup 240
2011 Lotus Evora S
2011 MINI Cooper S
1965 MINI Cooper S
2008 Maserati MC12 Versione Corse
2010 Maserati GranTurismo S
1997 Mazda RX-7
2004 Mazda RX-8 Mazdaspeed
1994 Mazda MX-5 Miata
2011 McLaren MP4-12C
1997 McLaren F1 GT
2012 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series
2012 Mercedes-Benz S65 AMG
2009 Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
1999 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR
2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II
2000 Nissan Silvia Spec-R
2012 Nissan GT-R Black Edition
1971 Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R
1969 Nissan Fairlady Z 432
2010 Noble M600
2010 Pagani Zonda R
1984 Peugeot 205 T16
1969 Pontiac GTO Judge
1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
2011 RUF RGT-8
1987 RUF CTR Yellowbird
2011 Radical SR8 RX
2010 SSC Ultimate Aero
2004 Saleen S7
2013 Scion FR-S
2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
1998 Subaru Impreza 22B STi
2005 TVR Sagaris
1998 Toyota Supra RZ
1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
2012 Ultima GTR
2013 Viper GTS
2010 Viper SRT10 ACR-X
1967 Volkswagen Beetle
2011 Volkswagen Scirocco R
1992 Volkswagen Golf GTi 16v Mk2
1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI
1995 Volkswagen Corrado VR6

+ 9 barn finds -> 136 cars

1964 Aston Martin DB5
1958 Aston Martin DBR1
1981 BMW M1
1992 Bugatti EB110 SS
1957 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
1956 Jaguar D-TYPE
1954 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Gullwing Coupe
1971 Plymouth ?Cuda 426 HEMI
1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

+ one of 5 preorder cars (WTF! 1 of 5??? Why the hell do I buy the LCE then!!!) -> 141 cars

2012 Aston Martin Virage
2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
2010 Nissan 370Z
2010 Volkswagen Golf R

+ 5 LCE cars -> 146 cars

2012 Audi R8 GT Spyder
2011 Koenigsegg Agera
2011 Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
2012 Pagani Huayra
2011 RUF Rt 12 R

+7 unicorns (how do you get them again?) -> 153

1969 Ferrari Dino 246 GT
2009 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
1991 Honda CR-X SiR
1972 Lotus Elan Sprint
2010 Mazda MX-5 Superlight
2012 Mini John Cooper Works Coup?
2010 Saleen S5S Raptor

+ 6x6 DLC = 189 cars... I dunno how I feel about that... Even after DLC its not the 200 we were led to believe...

Last edited: