Idiots + cars = LOL

Well, I owned two Audis in the past, one FWD and a quattro... and several of them as rentals over the weekend, among them an A4, several A6's, a TT Roadster, a Q7 and two A8's. So I feel qualified to make a judgement :D

Let me just tell you that those reports of being "nose-heavy" or understeering, are vastly exaggerated. If at all, it just shows when you drive like a maniac, which probably includes breaking several traffic rules. Of course I'm talking about driving them on public roads, read "what they were intended for". I don't put them on a race track and complain about their driving behaviour, knowing very well that a road car isn't a race car.

I mean yes, a BMW probably feels a bit lighter in the front if you take corners with screeching tyres. But on the other hand Audis outrun the comparable BMW on the Autobahn, so...

You are either an amazeballs driver or can't feel what car is doing worth a damn, the A4 I had, with a relatively light 1.8T motor, and you could get it understeer within legal limits quite easily no tire screeching necessary. Or let me put it to you this way, my Mustang doesn't push nearly as bad cornering despite a big ass V8 and being a "stupid murrican muscle car" with a stick axle.

- - - Updated - - -

Well I can speak from experience that with the power hike and wheel/tyre/suspension upgrades he has fitted, Ice's A4 is a hoot to drive. Understeer has be dialled out and it's huge fun to chuck around on a good road.

If you have to upgrade bits of your car to get it to handle properly then the car wasn't well properly engineered in the first place. Especially when we are dealing with a car that has sporty aspirations.

I think Ice is correct with respect to the car itself, but priz has a point in how the car is marketed towards North America, as an alternative to the (traditionally held viewpoint as being sporty) BMW 3-Series.

A normal 3 series is a cement salesman's car too. You need upgrades if you want it to be sporty.

A base-spec 3-series as sold in the US has superior chassis dynamics compared to the A4. No, the BMW isn't an Elise and the Audi isn't a Camry but there's definitely a difference - the former is more responsive, has better feel, turns in sharper, etc. The Audi is AWD though (and it's a better system than BMW's) so in bad weather the four rings stomp all over Bimmers, but that's not what we're discussing here.

A normal 3 series is a cement salesman's car too. You need upgrades if you want it to be sporty.

Not the way it's marketed here though, BMW's marketing campaign is all about the "ultimate driving machine", which is why it's quite common to see some dumbass in a 328 try to race anyone with a fast looking car. Also remember both of these brands are considered upmarket here so we don't get the A to B cars with cloth seats and the like
- - - Updated - - -

A base-spec 3-series as sold in the US has superior chassis dynamics compared to the A4. No, the BMW isn't an Elise and the Audi isn't a Camry but there's definitely a difference - the former is more responsive, has better feel, turns in sharper, etc. The Audi is AWD though (and it's a better system than BMW's) so in bad weather the four rings stomp all over Bimmers, but that's not what we're discussing here.

Base spec A4 here is FWD actually. You can also get xDrive Beems they are still dynamically better than Audi since they are RWD based vs FWD.

Last edited:
Again, not disputing that (at least not with th F-series'). But over here, they are marketed as something altogether different.

Priz beat me to it.

Yeah, but like he said, the A4 is marketed as something else too, but the reality is completely different. At the base level, it doesn't matter which wheels are driven. Those cars are made for transport.

Idiots + cars = LOL

I would love to see that. Beemers are the motorcycles. Bimmers are the cars. ;)

Can never remember the difference :)
Yeah, but like he said, the A4 is marketed as something else too, but the reality is completely different. At the base level, it doesn't matter which wheels are driven. Those cars are made for transport.

[narf] All cars are made for transport[/narf]

Now that I think of it a lot of cars are marketed with sporty aspirations here, even the grounded to the ground Camry.

Last edited:
I think this can only be sorted one way: prizrak has to come to Ringmeet with his Mustang and race against Ice's A4 on the N?rburgring :p

Reactions: MWF
Melbourne learner driver
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/l...-into-clayton-south-home-20160228-gn5u0d.html
CcSbkZUUcAIG6JY.jpg

So you can drive past the wreck? :p I got my car sideways (not on purpose) driving into the local Starbucks drivethru today...

You're supposed to slow down for the the drive through, not actually drive through the building. :p

Idiots + cars = LOL

Get better tyres, then. :p

Or remember that summer tires don't grip well in colder temps :p
You're supposed to slow down for the the drive through, not actually drive through the building. :p
Slow down? What's that :p It's a sharpish turn, but mostly me not being used to the torque. I haven't been driving my car much because of the weather

Last edited: